Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improvements for the Stack

Improvements for the Stack

I don't remember these ideas being discussed before, apologies if they have.

While the stack functions logically, the information provided by the stack could use improvements, as there are many situations where (especially newer) players have trouble understanding what happens to an effect. To this end, here are a few quality of life improvement ideas for the stack. The first idea I like the most:

1) If the board state changes so that an effect that is in the stack would fizzle if it resolved now, it should be marked as such. For example if:
    - I play Survival of the Fittest
    - Then opponent plays a buff on their troop
    - I play a buff on my troop
    - Opponent plays a removal to kill off my troop

Then after the removal resolves, my buff and my Survival of the Fittest should show that in the current situation they are about to fizzle while opponent's buff remains resolvable. This would help players read complex situations much easier and more importantly, much faster.

2) Include identifiers below the effect for basic effects. This idea is debatable, but I feel it would add value to have the effect of basic events shown without having to mouseover the card. Examples of basic events:
    - Destroy target
    - Void target
    - Stat changes (+X / +X etc)
    - Shift ability
    - Exhaust
    - Discard
    - Bury

So if someone is playing Heroic Inspiration or has an effect that gives +X/+X for each of certain threshold he has, the stack would show without mouse overing what kind of an effect ("oh yeah, it was +8/+8", or "ok, so this adds up to ... +5/+5") the event will have on the target.

Here's how I would vision some of the informative short texts below the events could read:
    TARGET (word "target" could be swapped with a crosshair): DESTROY
    YOU: DRAW 2
    OPP: DAMAGE 3
    OPP: BURY 5
    TARGET: EXHAUST
    TARGET: VOID

If there are complex effects associated with the card, it could just be empty, have some icon (exclamation mark?) or read "COMPLEX" or some such, to indicate that you should mouseover and read it yourself.
    Last edited by LNQ; 01-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Basically, since we have to have the stack to maintain the depth of the game, it is sort of a necessary evil slowing down gameplay, it should be refined to make gameplay as smooth and efficient as possible.

The current version requires players to do a lot of the calculations and observations as to what is actually about to happen themselves. There are things that can be done that make life easier for us players and make us press "pass priority" faster, and make fewer mistakes in doing so.

Also : - Add a skip turn unless my opponent does something other than attacking

- Repeat a loop X times

- when an ability is going on the stack X times at the same moment (for example, the guy that draw when a spider enter play + 10 eggs), have a way to choose the amount of time you choose one option and the other.

- Have EVERYTHING answerable. I might want to destroy that Shin'hare Eulogist before he gets its +1/+1

Quote Originally Posted by pyrovoice View Post
    - Have EVERYTHING answerable. I might want to destroy that Shin'hare Eulogist before he gets its +1/+1
    The rest of these are great suggestions, but I'd forego everything to get this one feature back.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

They are aware of the issues you raised, especially #2 needs to be addressed in my opinion. When this will happen is anyone's guess.

The Transcended
    I'd love to be able to define a loop and have it execute a stated number of times like one can do in paper games. This would most likely require pre-game setup on the part of the deck builder and would be saved as part of the deck.

- when an ability is going on the stack X times at the same moment (for example, the guy that draw when a spider enter play + 10 eggs), have a way to choose the amount of time you choose one option and the other.
    Ideally in situations like this the prompt should say "You may draw up to X cards. Choose how many to draw" and have the -/+ selector like with cards with cost X.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    I'd love to be able to define a loop and have it execute a stated number of times like one can do in paper games. This would most likely require pre-game setup on the part of the deck builder and would be saved as part of the deck.
    I can see this being tricky to implement but i absolutely love this idea. When i first moved over to magic online i made a 1 ping infinite cycle deck and was absolutely humiliated as i would basically have to have the entire combo in hand at the start of the games or i wouldn't have time for doing it 3 games in a row.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Also : - Add a skip turn unless my opponent does something other than attacking
    By default, this is bound to F8.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    I can see this being tricky to implement but i absolutely love this idea. When i first moved over to magic online i made a 1 ping infinite cycle deck and was absolutely humiliated as i would basically have to have the entire combo in hand at the start of the games or i wouldn't have time for doing it 3 games in a row.
    Yeah, one of my favorite things to build in MTG was infinite combo decks. (Of those, Slivers was my favorite.) The fact that Hex (and all other digital card games) cannot support this play style is very sad for me. I know it wouldn't be high on their priority list to implement, and I suspect it would indeed be a headache to implement properly, but I really hope it is, in fact, on the list for "some day" and that they can figure out an elegant solution.