Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surface book for HEX

Surface book for HEX

So I got surface book i7, dGPU edition with a hope that I can use it well on my work but also for gaming which is primarily for HEX. Idea is attractive as surface book has tablet mode and long battery life with base attached.

However my experience for HEX with this machine has been nothing but an disappointment.

1. Tablet alone mode won't even let me play the game.
    2. Machine becomes really hot within a minute of game launch. So tablet mode, I can't even hold the machine.
    3. Quick battery drain even with base attached.
    4. Draft failure. After first selection of card, I didn't see other card selection.
    5. Game won't run with dGPU on.

So in short, I won't recommend this machine for HEX. Note that machine is decent for other things but I am leaning toward retuning this.

Has anybody else had similar or perhaps better experience?
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

I think the main problem you faced was one with the client as I don't think it's at all optimised at the moment.

I'm running a top spec Macbook Pro 15 with max ram and processor upgrades and all the fans kick in quite soon after a game or two, and no, it's not because it's a Mac :P

The only solution at the moment is to either stream from a desktop you don't mind whirring away somewhere whilst you wait for the client to be fully optimised.

I actually found it easiest to use steam in home streaming to play hex on a tablet. The performance is better and it doesn't run as hot.

Works fine on my Surface Pro - my only complaint is that I need to have the keyboard attached to log in. Other than that it's pretty flawless.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

I've got a Pro 2, only used it on PVE though so don't know about the draft issue. Hex definitely causes the fan to turn on and the device itself it get pretty hot, I think Limpit is right in that the client isn't optimized and just asks for far too many resources then laptops can handle without heating up. I've played PVE without the keyboard and while it works, it is rather awkward. Hex has a long way to go before it works well with touch capability and tablets.

I run it on my Surface Pro 3 i7, but it does get hot. It's a little slow, but other than that it works.

Interesting. I have Surface Pro 1 and it gets really hot. I got MacBook Air from 2011, and works but stutters. Got iPad Pro and iPad Mini 4 with a hope HEX will eventually release tablet version.... (Still waiting) and occasionally play with TeamViewer but have to boot my desktop is sort of downer for me, and of course the experience is not quite the same as to play natively on tablet.

At this point, I was looking at 3 potential options for my old laptop replacement either wait for next gen MacBook with Skylake, Surface Book or Surface Pro 4. I couldn't wait for next gen MacBook so decided to go with Surface Book (as I already have iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4 seemed tablet first laptop second to me, which is similar class of device as iPad Pro).

But I'm glad to know it's not the Surface Book itself is an issue but HEX client is the bottleneck here.

But it sounds like even MacBook 15 inch which should have better CPU performance and slightly better discrete GPU than Surface Book still having issue does indeed seem to point in a direction the client is simply not yet optimized. It's surprising to me though as the game does not look that CPU or GPU intensive.
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

Works fine on my i7/dGPU SurfaceBook (I got one on 10/26). I wouldn't ever try it with just the tablet part, because it'd probably kill the battery in 30mins.

I think I run in 1080p fullscreen when I play on it.

I've done several drafts and played arena. Just make sure you have the nVidia control panel set so that Hex runs on the dGPU.

What will be nice is to eventually have a way to frame rate limit the game so can limit to 30fps when on battery.

This is all good to know. I have been thinking about getting a tablet for a long time because I want to eventually play HEX with it. Seems to me like it is not worth the hassle yet. I have no tolerance for slowing down in games, nor do I have the patience to do any sort of tinkering to get it to work. So I will patiently wait until HEX has a legit tablet version out before committing to a purchase.

wait wait... this is on steam now?