Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulligans decide too many games (imo) Let's discuss ways to negate the disadvantage.

I don't see why there is a need to change. Have anyone given thought that the Champions power itself is a way to counter flood/screw? Instead of using just blindly following MtG's calculation for the qty of land in a deck, has anyone taken the Champion's power into consideration?

Add a shard or two to your current screw deck, decreases the likelihood of screw and the flood will be balanced out by the Champion power.

Adding additional draws, choices, cards, effects, etc. will just favour a particular deck. Combo and aggro becomes more consistent and will push out the others.

Flood / screw is as a direct result of the deck building choices. Looking at the deck building first before system changes would be what I suggest.

Winds

None likes to mull to oblivion but fact is that is part of the game. The fact is that the magic change didn't actually do that much it made certain decks that tend to mull a lot more consistent and those are the decks that simply win when when they get what they want. I guess the idea of gaining a charge if you did a mulligan is simple enough to help but not deep enough to incentivize further mulligans so i can get behind that to some extent but i think even that just gives more power to certain decks.

Troop creation of any sort goes out the window for me instantly that just wont fly if someone wants that they are in the wrong game. What might be interesting is cards like jar of memories that helps people out with mulligans if they decide to include them in the deck but just flat bonuses to try and even the score tend to be a horrible idea.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

I don't see why there is a need to change. Have anyone given thought that the Champions power itself is a way to counter flood/screw? Instead of using just blindly following MtG's calculation for the qty of land in a deck, has anyone taken the Champion's power into consideration?
    This is a different issue for the most part, what you're saying is completely obvious and what champions were designed to do... Flood or screw is a different issue and should be looked at separately imo. (I can think of a few ways to alleviate this a bit as well, but that's for another time :P)

This issue we are talking about here is when you have to mulligan, especially to 5 or lower, in most cases you will be at too much of a disadvantage (even worse if on play) to put up much of a fight and it just makes for un-fun experiences.

At the end of the day, we are all players of the game and we enjoy making fun and exciting decks to pit against each other. I would prefer that most of my games were battles that both players feel they got to use their deck and got to play the game. Games that are decided in a few turns just because of the severity of mulligans are no fun for anyone.

Considering the many unique systems and the digital space that hex has available, I don't see why we should be plagued with an archaic issue such as this.

I honestly find gaining one charge first time you mulligan as reasonable upside.

+ 1 charge for playing as a second player, +1 charge for mulliganing at least once. Also, if you aren't playing first, you don't get a charge for mulligans. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Havoc has a point that mulligans in competetive games is problematic - in casual games less so. However, what there is to do about it is another matter and it is crucial that any attempt doesn't just create a new (and bigger) problem. The suggestions I like so far are:

Look at the top card of you deck and put it on the bottom if you chose if you mulligan.
    Gain 1 charge.

But I am not sure if these are the best possible ones or if the impact is large enough to warrant a change.
    IGN: Fensale

I slept on it, and I want to refine my suggestion:

Draw 7 cards, the opponent gets 2 charges. Then for every mulligan after that, the opponent gets a prompt asking if they want to draw a card - if they draw a card, you draw 7, if they don't, standard mulligan rules kick in and the opponent is no longer prompted aabout drawing cards.

What this does is gives you one 'free' mulligan of your own choice, but gives the opponent charges (this is the first buffer, giving you a chance to seach for shards etc.) Mulligans after that are in the opponents hands - so they may let you mull and draw 7 multiple times, but they also get cards each time, or they can choose to force you to lose cards (not getting card draw themselves.) The more you try to abuse it, the more consistency your opponent will have, but it still gives you a chance to search for a playable hand.

This also means playing first gives the risk of needing to mull multiple times, only to fix a hand the opponent may have needed to mull.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

You don't really want to give anyone free mulligans, the advantage for combo decks and card reliant decks is too big and they will easily hand out 2 charges for that and probably even cards in your favor.

CZE has made it really clear on their stance on mulligans and resources and general and I'd be gutted if they didn't stick to the present set-up. We do have champions that we can choose to regain card draw later on (beyond card selection).

To add constructively to the thread, I wonder if some of these ideas could or should be applied to specific areas, like certain dungeons in the campaign.

And/or raids - what do mulligans look like in raids or two-headed giants? Personally, I would assume the same as regular game play (that's what I would prefer), but never having played those formats IRL, maybe there are more fitting systems for those formats?

Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    We do have champions that we can choose to regain card draw later on (beyond card selection).
    If you have to keep a 5 card, 2 shard hand then it won't matter what card draw charge power you have, because in general you'll have lost before it ever matters. Charge powers somewhat compensate for resource flood, but they aren't a fix to the mulligan issue that absolutely exists in the game, as it does in Magic. WotC have over two decades of data to analyse, and they decided it was worth shaking up the tournament scene to implement an adjustment to help mulligans be less of a deciding factor in who wins the game.