Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulligans decide too many games (imo) Let's discuss ways to negate the disadvantage.

Mulligans decide too many games (imo) Let's discuss ways to negate the disadvantage.

I personally feel that mulligans have too much of an impact in the game, in a competitive environment a player that mulligans to 5 or lower is very likely to lose most of the time due to the immediate card disadvantage.

I don't like games being decided before the fight even gets going and I believe there is some easy ways to lessen that impact without creating other issues or being too good.

IDEA 1

If a player mulligans to 6, that player gains a charge.

If a player mulligans to 5 or lower, create a Rally Support and put it into play.

Rally Support
    Colorless token that reads

At the end of your turn 3, if you have 2 resources or less, void this and gain 1/1 (no thresholds)

IDEA 2

Players are given 7 starting cards, however 3 of them are face down.

Each player has 2 choices to start with... Reveal or Draw 7

If Reveal is chosen, the player is now able to see all 7 cards and then gets the normal mulligan or keep option as we currently have it.

However, if they choose Draw 7, they will get a new 7 card hand with one face down, they then have the normal mulligan or keep option as we currently have it.

EDIT3: Another idea...

Each player is presented with 7 cards as seen in the image below (disregard they are all comet strikes :P)

The player then has 3 options:

Option 1: Take the 4 cards within the red box and draw the next 3 cards to complete their hand.
    Option 2: Take the 4 cards within the blue box and draw the next 3 cards to complete their hand.
    Option 3: Take all 7

After picking one of these options, the players then get to choose to mulligan or keep as we have it now.

Alternatively, you can change this up several ways which all have different impact... for example you could do 2 at the top and bottom with 3 cards in the middle. This would force the players to take those 3, which changes the overall impact.

Again, these are just ideas... a starting point to expand upon...

There are aggro decks that could benefit greatly from this and take advantage of those mulligans though with those rules! For example unmerciful tormentor gets +3/+3 when you don't have cards in your hand. Making it so that people have been known to mulligan to 4 just to be swinging with a 5/4 (with Urgnock) turn 2.

Quote Originally Posted by YourOpponent View Post
    There are aggro decks that could benefit greatly from this and take advantage of those mulligans though with those rules! For example unmerciful tormentor gets +3/+3 when you don't have cards in your hand. Making it so that people have been known to mulligan to 4 just to be swinging with a 5/4 (with Urgnock) turn 2.
    You really wanna mulligan just to do that? >_> c'mon now... plus the effect doesn't happen till several turns later, so basically what you're saying is something people can already do... but no one is that crazy

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    Havoc i expect better from you
    Instead of posting nothing, how about contributing... at least say what you don't like...

Well i didn't really want to go into the millions of reasons that the current Mulligan system is superior to any proposed ideas i have heard since alpha and i like you havoc so i really didn't want to argue with you lol so i tried to be silly with a short line

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    Well i didn't really want to go into the millions of reasons that the current Mulligan system is superior to any proposed ideas i have heard since alpha and i like you havoc so i really didn't want to argue with you lol so i tried to be silly with a short line
    Something that has room for improvement is not superior to new ideas -_-

this idea has my fullest support...i love the idea and i dont think people would purposefuly mulligan (its just not good enough for that and neither should it)...seems like you guys actually thought about it...i hope HXE picks up on it or at least responds in this thread (and be it only an acknowledgment that they have read it)

maybe when a player mulligan, he can see the top card of its library and decide to put it randomly in its deck ?

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrovoice View Post
    maybe when a player mulligan, he can see the top card of its library and decide to put it randomly in its deck ?
    Or the reverse: give a free Starsphere effect (just the deck part, not the 1/1).