Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chronicles of Entrath

Necrotic have in every case been malicious. They're very willing to lie and manipulate, especially through this "Oh we're not actually bad, just misunderstood" propaganda. In the Novel, there is a necrotic who feigns curiousity and pacifism, giving a character the hope that maybe dipolmatic relations could be established. Until she backstabbed and ran.

They are also deliberately provocative, saying that any old corpse would do, but they like royalty because it bothers the humans so much. They are a hive mind with some focused goal, seemingly an entity of the Hex Comet. Until we're told otherwise, my working theory is that something inside Hex or something *of* Hex has evil intentions for the exploitations of Entrath.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Master Theorycrafter
    Necrotic have in every case been malicious. They're very willing to lie and manipulate, especially through this "Oh we're not actually bad, just misunderstood" propaganda. In the Novel, there is a necrotic who feigns curiousity and pacifism, giving a character the hope that maybe dipolmatic relations could be established. Until she backstabbed and ran.

They are also deliberately provocative, saying that any old corpse would do, but they like royalty because it bothers the humans so much. They are a hive mind with some focused goal, seemingly an entity of the Hex Comet. Until we're told otherwise, my working theory is that something inside Hex or something *of* Hex has evil intentions for the exploitations of Entrath.
    True that they choose royal corpses to annoy humans now, but initially it was just because the royal tomb was where Erasmus was led to create the first necrotic (which just makes practical sense for a species that needs to inhabit corpses, since royal corpses are most likely to be well preserved, not to mention they aren't stuck beneath 6 feet of dirt). Then the humans got angry, the necrotic got angry back, the cycle of hatred naturally occurs, and so of course they act angrily towards humans now. Anyone would be when the immediate reaction to their presence is "die, scum". I wouldn't say it's all that different from many real situations between different races/groups.

As for said character, I dunno if I buy that. Let's remember the context here. She may genuinely have BEEN curious, that was the whole point of her listening/learning for the hive mind, wasn't it? But William talking of peace doesn't mean she wasn't still, ya' know, a prisoner. It escapes me why they were even taking her with them- I think William made a plea for her life or something- but of course she backstabbed them. William isn't in charge, and the only place he could possibly take her- his human city- ends up with her dead anyways. Most prisoners would do the same when being led somewhere by captors and offered the opportunity to escape, regardless of how one guy- with no actual power over the feelings of the rest of humanity, mind- says. Doesn't help that both sides are fairly controlled, the necrotic at least partially by their not-hive mind, the humans by their ridiculous levels of nationalism and dedication to their rulers, including ones long since gone who will NEVER change their minds. Both sides are long past the point of peace- I'm just saying the humans started it, for really dumb reasons, and are way more hateful about it than the necrotic tend to be (compare their dialogue trees in the campaign- it's REALLY evident).

Not that the idea that something in Hex or Hex itself is "evil" is necessarily wrong. That's most likely what the writers are going for, honestly. Which is kind of boring, but eh.
    Last edited by Flairina; 02-03-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    IGN: Legan

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffe View Post
    Honestly, humans are just jerks in this game. They're so full of themselves it's disgusting. Even as you save some knights from an angry mob of zombies, all they give as a thank is "I can't believed we were saved by a shin'hare". Their holier-than-thou attitude is running on my nerves.

Funnily enough, while Cryptozoic keeps selling us the Ardent as the "good guys" and the Underworld as the "bad guys" (just check at the release trailer of Chronicles of Entrath), we still have no solid proof that Necrotic have spiteful intentions, while humans use every occasion they have to show to the world that they're just a bunch of racists.
    Also the frequency with which humans bring up their loyalty to the king makes it feel like they're lying about it or possibly playing a variant of the "penis game".

And that when you ask what the secret agenda is in the necrotic tutorial you're told it's "to exist" implies that even if there is a sinister agenda not all necrotic know about it.

I kind of think the goal is more a grey vs grey morality. The Ardent alliance is less evil than the Underworld in that no one in the Ardent actually wants to blow up the planet (looking at you dwarves), but they don't seem to have needed to start the war with the Necrotic at all and the orks are sort of barely skimming by on the evilomiter with their slavery and serving a bloodthristy mountain primal (seriously it's literally a mountain that drinks blood). On the other hand the Necrotic are largely victims of the human's paranoia, but they also took several of the most recklessly destructive races on Enthrath and organized them into an even more dangerous alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Voormas View Post
    Spoilers; I really love that Wiktor was pulling the old Nigerian Prince / Spanish Prisoner Scam
    I'm happy that at least one person got it.

The Transcended
    Moving this comment from a thread of different topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    My main issue is the ardent and underworld play-through is nearly identical. Its makes ardent vs underworld choice feel completely unimportant. And that's counter to my understanding of AvU being a central driver of story and lore.
    This. I haven't made it very far with any of my Underworld guys yet, but it seems that after the tutorial there are very few differences in story between the two and that just seems wrong. To a fair extent I can understand why each faction's champions would have nearly identical story, but it makes no sense to me why all champions, even mortal enemies, would have identical plot.

how exactly was the crypt of the thorn knight put into the story?
    because right now you can skip the fight entirely with no drawbacks, while the person you met earlier was talking about a secret pathway in the crypt.

(Also regarding the codex, I do not know if I can name other games here, but warframe also has a codex in game, which is excellent in my opinion. Initially you can only see a black silhouette with no information, then if you spot it once the picture is added and if you spot it several tines you get the full details as well. So it is also a small extra challenge to try and fully complete the codex, which can then be used to quickly look up something. )

edit: another thing I noticed is that on the Devonshire dungeon map, wiktor is jumping on a bed with red sheets, while on the avatar of wiktor he is jumping on a bed with purple sheets. Does that mean he killed more important people as well ?
    Last edited by Salverus; 02-11-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Except that she was a prisoner, was rescued, and tried to talk the other necrotic out of the subsequent attack.

William's stated goal for keeping her alive was interrogation not establishing relations. His apparent 'real' goal was that he wanted to get to know his cousin, and he repeatedly stated she'd be killed when her usefulness ended (admittedly to appease his allies who wanted her dean right now).

Would you pass up a rescue from the custody of and enemy soldier who was constantly trying to use you to replace a dead family member you happen to look like because they offered to interrogate you before they kill you? I sure wouldn't.