Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will passive skills be toggleable?

Will passive skills be toggleable?

Let's take a look at one of the skills that were revealed for the human mage, shall we?

WORLDLY KNOWLEDGE, PASSIVE: At the start of your turn, if you have four or more actions in your graveyard, void all actions in your graveyard and gain 2 SP.
    (This is from gameforge's site, not sure what a graveyard is supposed to be, they probably mean crypts)

I can foresee that there will be deck builds and strategies in the future for which you do not want this to go off every turn.
    Think of a deck that allows you to play actions from the crypt, a deck that mills itself to find certain cards, a deck that gets some bonus from having many cards in the crypt, a crazy Dandelion arm guards combo deck or something like that. All actions in your crypt getting auto-voided without you having a say will f up your strategy.

My question is: Will we be able to toggle this and similar passive skills?

Oh and before you answer something silly like "Duh, if you don't like it, don't take it".
    Maybe I want to take the skill now and create a deck where it fits nicely, but some months later I want to create a deck where this skill will be getting my way. Should choosing the wrong skill from the skill tree forever bar me from creating certain types of decks? Should I start a new non-"wordly magic" mage just for that reason? I don't think so.
    Last edited by eimerian; 01-21-2016 at 11:57 PM.

High Tomb Lord
    I'm going to say no and the class is built to use the talent if you pick it
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

I have no idea whether talents are toggleable, but I asked about reallocating skills at GenCon. The answer I got at the time was that it wasn't finalized but that they were leaning towards limited reallocation while leveling up with more opportunities to do so at max level (I think with the limitation that it would cost gold).

There certainly were some clues about rebuilding your character. Some gold sink or another method to reallocate talent points. But, yes, that system "wasn't finalized yet" when we heard about it.

High Tomb Lord
    I'm not trying to be rude but why would you care? You choose what talents you get so if you don't like a passive you can avoid it entirely.
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCrypt View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude but why would you care? You choose what talents you get so if you don't like a passive you can avoid it entirely.
    Just because you don't like a talent for a certain deck doesn't mean you don't like the talent for any given deck.
    From a design point of view the talent is problematic if you can't toggle it off and there is a cost to learn and unlearn it because that way you could never build certain decks without having to pay upfront or losing the possibility to build certain other decks without having to pay again.

High Tomb Lord
    Well... I've never considered that. Still I think passives like that are supposed to be niche. So you take it and live with it or you don't
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!

I assume you're gonna be able to respec... highly doubt that this will even be an issue.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!

Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    I assume you're gonna be able to respec... highly doubt that this will even be an issue.
    That's exactly my point. It's modern MMO after all.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCrypt View Post
    So you take it and live with it or you don't
    I tried to pre-emt this kind of response in my OP but I should have been more clear.
    Maybe the skill is great for deck A and awful for deck B.
    Should I buy a respec with gold every time I switch decks?
    Should I take it and limit this one champion to one type of deck?

Also, since we don't know the rest of the skill tree it might be necessary to take worldly knowledge to unlock other important skills further up.