Thread: Damage overflow?

Damage overflow?

Your Display Name: Wrentaile
    Bug Description: If a troop does too much damage (presumably overflow) it does 0 damage instead
    Steps to Reproduce: Have a really high Atk troop, attack.
    Frequency: 100%
    Additional Information:
    I got this by having a Highland Magus with an atk of 372, and a damage multiple that I can no longer see due to the shrunken text. The last time I could read it, it was x131072, but since that it had increased to at least x8,388,608.

I achieved this by repeatedly bouncing a Replicated Highland Magus.

This is not a bug but a limitation of the amount of bits used to store things like life, atk, ect. Theres no fix for this as it is something only done when someone has a lot of free time and wants to break his game

Quote Originally Posted by kaiizza View Post
    This is not a bug but a limitation of the amount of bits used to store things like life, atk, ect. Theres no fix for this as it is something only done when someone has a lot of free time and wants to break his game
    Actually many games that have overflow problems simply cap it. Given the approximate values, one assumes individual troop damage is a signed 32 bit integer, so capping it at 2 billion is the standard and entirely reasonable response. Especially since they probably already have some sort of error trapping for for when the number exceeds 32 bits in length.

it becomes negative if the number is too big same for your health.
    this is easy to test if you have an ozawa, it doubles your hp each turn, then one turn you suddenly lose out of nowhere.

This is not a bug but a limitation of the amount of bits used to store things like life, atk, ect.
    This is a bug caused by the limitation of the amount of bits used to store things like life, atk, ect.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by eimerian View Post
    This is a bug caused by the limitation of the amount of bits used to store things like life, atk, ect.
    Fixed that for you.
    Lol, i didn't misspeak but thanks for your "fixing" of my comment. In the future please consult with me before telling others what you think I meant to say. Better yet, try not to speak for others unless you have there consent.

Lol, i didn't misspeak but thanks for your "fixing" of my comment. In the future please consult with me before telling others what you think I meant to say. Better yet, try not to speak for others unless you have there consent.
    Off topic: You might want to learn forums conventions. That is a way of joking or mocking (depending on the individuals involved), and by taking it literally, you do not help yourself.

On topic: This is either a bug caused by poor unit tests and coding standards, or it is a deliberate implementation but a poor design choice.

Either way, it is not good.

A lot of individuals find it rather insulting to have words put into their mouth. "FTFY" only works well when both sides agree it is an improvement. If both posters have differing opinions, it's very condescending. I think Kaiizza knew what was up, but didn't appreciate it.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!