Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perspective on PVE from a new player.

Perspective on PVE from a new player.

Hey,
    let me start this by saying that I am writing this because I like Hex otherwise I wouldn't have come to the forums. While I bought one of the alpha founder packs back in the day (that's why my account is from 2013), I only played for a bit and then waited for PVE so still consider myself a new player.

I think the positives are well covered in other posts (beatiful design, cool dialogues and so on) which is why I want to put in my negatives to keep it short.

So, I made it up until the 2nd dungeon (the one with the constellations in the sky) and I think that was one of my most frustrating experiences I had in a long time in videogaming (and I played all the Souls games, so I know what frustration means). I think I played this dungeon around 18 times now and it's impossible for me to beat. I basically use the PVP starter deck as my build because the "X" burn cards helped a lot in the normal encounters out of the dungeon and I think they were mostly fair designed. And while the encounters before the endboss are also OKish for me (I usually die only once) I have no chance against the boss and much of it stems from the 3 life system that is in place. I know it's a card game and much of it is RNG but if I have to mulligan 2-3 times because I basically get not a single shard (even though I have 25) the fight is lost from the get go so 1 life is gone. Then the boss seems to have the most luckiest hands everytime. Oh, 2 of the guys who get you 2 health when you play a shard which then also get buffed up to 11 in one round and then completly steamroll me. Like I said, I played this encounter now 18 times and this exact move happened in basically every game.

So, now I see in other posts the following statement: "Hey, those bosses are designed so you can build around their weakness!". And yes, while in theory nice, I think many people here in the forums (which is understandable since forums are mostly used by vets) seem to lack perspective that a new player has no cards to build around encounters. I have more than a completly new player (since I own most of the starter PVP Decks and opened around 20 boosters from Set 1) and combined with the shard grid (which I like initself) and the lack of cards it's impossible to build something against the boss if I not only lack the cards but the boss also draws the best combinations everytime. I don't know if people understand this but do you guys think that a new player likes to get stuck and even after playing the dungeon over and over feels like he can only progress if he throws money at the screen?

So, what can be done.

First, let me state the obvious. If that is a route Cryptozoic wants to take and they think the encounters are designed farily and are able be beaten by a new player with the limited cards he has, hey, that's cool, keep on walking that road, I probably just suck then and no other new player will have the same experience /s. I think it's the wrong one to take but if you mostly want to keep veterans since I here a lot of them are happy (not surprising if you have many cards to choose from) and you are fine with not really attracting new players, hey, more power to you.

Secondly, what I think would make the dungeon experience in PVE much better for newer players, without annoying veterans who like a bigger challenge, would be a normal mode and heroic mode of a dungeon, just like in MMOs. The normal dungeon mode would have either no lifes at all or a higher number (maybe like 10 lifes, I don't know). This would not only compensate for the heavy RNG involved but also lowers the frustration of going through the same 5 encounters over and over until you are at the boss only to get stomped. Heroic mode would have the 3 lifes and maybe you could even add a hardcore mode where you start at the beginning once you die. Obviously heroic and hardcore would give better rewards while the normal mode dungeon would let the player at least progress through the campaign. I for example am now stuck there at the dungeon and won't continue to playing (even though I bought 3500 plat a few hours ago to support crypt) unless something changes or I see that this is the route cryptozoic wants to take. In that case I at least know that cryptozoic mostly caters to the vets with lots of cards or at least the right cards.

Thirdly, correctly tune the bosses but I don't think that needs further explanation.

So, all in all I don't know if anyone of the vets agrees here with me but that's fine. I just wanted to explain how frustrating the experience for a new player is and that you won't keep a majority of the new players engaged when they are stuck in the first dungeon (after the tutorial) and can't progress any further. I like the idea of Hex and I like the mechanics but the way it's currently designed it's almost impossible to progress without throwing money at the screen for the right cards or just have extreme luck in RNG while the AI also has a brain fart and stopps pulling all the right cards and combinations.

I hope someone reads this and thanks for making it through!
    Last edited by Paradoxic; 01-28-2016 at 02:55 AM.

Don't feel bad I have a deck that has 27 shards in to and out of 10 games against the sea hag i probably drew 10 shards total. Its the shuffler that they employ its an out and out piece of shit.

Rock League Champion
    i guess it is ment to buy some "cheap" commons / uncommons at the AH with the "tiny" gold rewards out of the campaign, to maybe have a better stand vs certain encounters, there are plenty of great commons/uncommons which certainly can help, but...

AH is still down and gold rewards seem to be kinda low afaik - at least it is an option to keep in mind.
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

I am not sure what champion race and class are you using but maybe try the PvE starter deck for a change? The PvE starter deck had a chance to be more well-tuned for the PvE content than a straight PvP starter deck. I beat the dungeon on my first try with 1 life left(lost once to the Green image and once to the big boss) on level 4 Vennen Mage under the Cory Pepsi rules so I don't really have that good of a deck either but it's doable. I have also finished two other dungeon on my first try with said deck.

If you don't mind telling me your race and class, I wouldn't mind trying the dungeon as that champion for a trial run.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath764 View Post
    I am not sure what champion race and class are you using but maybe try the PvE starter deck for a change? The PvE starter deck had a chance to be more well-tuned for the PvE content than a straight PvP starter deck. I beat the dungeon on my first try with 1 life left(lost once to the Green image and once to the big boss) on level 4 Vennen Mage under the Cory Pepsi rules so I don't really have that good of a deck either but it's doable. I have also finished two other dungeon on my first try with said deck.

If you don't mind telling me your race and class, I wouldn't mind trying the dungeon as that champion for a trial run.
    I play an orc warrior with the typical rush/aggro deck.

Same here, i am a veteran but i play the campaign only with the starter pve deck and the cards earned in the campign. I cleared this dungeon by loosing only one life with a coyoutou cleric and a necromant mage. Not very difficult.
    So i think the problem is just a very very bad luck

Never feel like the game has a shuffling problem
    Last edited by Gregangel; 01-28-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Veteran Gladiator
    Paradoxic, you are rushing a ramp deck who can outlast you. I'm going to call you out, you mentioned the Souls games, I didn't play them, I'm not that hardcore but isn't the whole point each death is a lesson? What did throwing yourself against a cheesy boss 18 times teach you?

Did you not think, hey wait a moment this isn't working, maybe I should try something else, hmm maybe start a new character and farm the 5 Adventure Packs available before the second dungeon (plus quest rewards) maybe I could throw together a better deck?

I think the second dungeon difficulty does go through the roof but you do have options.

Oh, just btw, one of my guildies finished the second dungeon with one life lost, starter pve deck plus found cards - it can be done
    KICKSTARTER Backer - Keep name Gondolin
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild

I will just point out that the boss has multiple modes and depending on your actions(or possibly just your answer at the end of it) You get a boss that has different decks/abilities.... you might just want to try to vary your answers.

Yeah, I also beat it without problems with starter a Coyotle starter PvE deck.

Edit: Not to say it is easy with any deck. It may well be hard with some decks. But it is definately doable with a starterdeck+rewards for some race/class combos.
    Last edited by Tinfoil; 01-28-2016 at 07:02 AM.
    IGN: Fensale