Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Question Specific PvE feedback: Class and race comparison

Hi everyone,

I didn't have much time to start PvE yet and I would like your opinion about class and race choices based on your experience. I'm sure everyone has gone though the calculator (e.g. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents/), but I'm looking for a specific feedback how you feel the combinations work for you after already playing for few hours, what is really good, what is bad and what you didn't expect when you selected the character (in all areas including talents and shard limitations). Please start the response with specifying what combination are you playing and try to be brief/concise.

I hope we can make a sensible comparison in this thread that could be used for both developers and new players.

Looking forward to your responses!

PS: To stimulate feedback I will send a AoM booster packs to random answers to this thread based on number of responses on 4.2.2016 (<50 1 AoM pack,50+ 2 AoM packs)

Shin hare mage.

Hard mode, the inital deck makes the first encounters realy hard. The shin hare +3 health buff matters a lot and is great. The shin hare spell i also a lott better than it first looks. quick speed removal i great even though oponent gets to draw a card. Playing it on your own troops for cantrips is however rather weak, 4 sp to draw one then discard one is simply put more available.
    Best regards
    Fredrik
    King and captain backer

Yeah, the Shin'hare need a little work. +2 dungeon lives just isn't worth it. Maybe at level 15 it'll be better, but even then that talent seems pretty weak. 1-cost Shin'hare aren't exactly powerful.

The 25% chance to create a Battle Hopper for the Cleric is really bad too, since it's easy to go an entire game without it doing anything. I'm surprised it wasn't attached to the Blessing ("Your Blessings have 'Create a Battle Hopper and put it into play'").

Human mage :

Deck is pretty solid, although there are some dead cards. Health total is low, but I haven't really run into that being a huge deal yet. Definitely a liability compared to other classes in particular. The spell you get is expensive enough that you may not be able to use it in most fights unless you just save up for it and don't use the draw/discard spell. However, it does make a pretty big difference in combat as you can cast it at quick speed and revert whatever bomb an opponent has to a random 2-cost beast. Generally you'll want to do this in combat, either with you blocking the creature you plan to transform or when they block one of your bigger troops with it to make this removal. In a pinch you can also cast it on a troop not in combat if the troop has abilities that are causing you trouble. I would never suggest playing it on your own troops except in dire circumstances, as there aren't very many 2 cost beasts that are great, so you'll be spending a lot of spell points for a creature that's only marginally better than what you already had. It is worth keeping in mind that it reverts as well as transforms, so if you get a bad effect on one of your troops that you absolutely have to get rid of, it's possible you'll want to do this, as well. Again, though, in the "last resort" category.

Necrotic Cleric :

The armor is great! It's a minor effect overall, but it really does make a difference. Deck is okay, not great, but you have a good starting health, and that with the armor allows you to power through bad draws to get to see more cards before you're in danger of dying. I think this combination could be really powerful once the deck is tuned.

Shin'hare Cleric

Tutorial was very hard, which seems to be the case with Shin'hare in general. Otherwiese it's awesome, better then i expected. Race/Class Combo skill (when you summon a shin'hare, summon a battle hopper with 25% chance) is nice for swarming, esp. since with all that small troops, it triggers quite often. Cleric survivability + shin'hare health realy is overkill. Shin'hare also have some nice clerics: Keeper of the Wounded Petal + lifedrain got me to more than 50 live (more than 70 once) in a few encounters, and Bucktooth Comander + Equipment + Combo skill means I'm often getting Buff + 2 troops at once. I got my fair share of fun.

I also tried Shin'hare mage a bit. You're so much less survivable, but spells seem fun. I like using units with the same race+class as my character, but shin'hare only have 3 mages, 3 really bad/situational/costly mages. Overall i prefer cleric as shin'hare.

Elf mage.

The elf +6 health is great for mage, some free dust can't be wrong and the spell (permanent +3/+3 for 7SP as "quick action") has often turned the tide. Don't forget that you can use the spell after blockers are declared or defensively (e.g. as reaction to Burn).

The starter deck is pretty good (IMHO, for a starter deck, didn't try other races/classes yet). Lots of actions to buff your troops (swiftstrike, rage). After a few dungeons, I switched to mono wild ramp with Jadiim (great with Smash to the Ground + equipment), Eternal Guardian, Eye of Creation, Wrathwood Colossus and Argus. Not exactly a cheap deck, but very consistent.

Elf mage is restricted to wild, ruby and artifacts at first, with more options at the higher levels.

Next character will be Vennen cleric, since most of my PvE packs so far had cards for that one.
    Last edited by judas42; 01-28-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Orc Cleric

The tutorial was extremely easy. Just put ruby aura on whatever rage troop you have and its gg.

After the tutorial the racial has continued to be great, but the class feels.... odd. The starting life and hand size are excellent. The talents feel irrelevant to the point I could probably spec into nothing and almost every game would have the same outcome. I think one of the biggest issues is that several of the good Orc clerics are rare/legendary - Quash, Gortezuma, Xocoy, Te'talca - so you can't really fill a deck with them at the current level cap.

Elf Warior:

The tutorial was pretty easy. The starter deck works pretty well, and I can't really complain about any of the talents. I feel like the life upon life from the Elf and Warrior combo is a bit gratuitous. But on the plus side it means I don't feel bad taking the talent that cost 7 life to start you with 2 charges (that's juts -1 compared to vanilla warrior). Combined with the one that lowers the cost of battle, you can use it for an effective ramp on turn 2 (that does damage to the opponent as a side effect) and that's pretty amazing.

I also took the free +5 life one just because I always choose to draw first anyway so it's all upside. Most people will probably not want to do that as life is not something this combo lacks and most people prefer to play first with the sort of deck this character encourages.

I do find it odd that I can use more rare/legendary artifacts than I can Wold or Ruby cards at level 2, and that looking ahead to level 9 uncommons never go above 2 but rare & legendaries increase to 3 in wild and ruby.

Also I think the female Elf warrior portrat is my favorite in part because it looks like she has no idea what to do with that sword, which somehow fits using the battle power as a resource source instead of for killing things. I also enjoy how the Elf tutorial presents the elven society as something like a perpetual strike party for a Shakespear production.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post

Necrotic Cleric :

The armor is great! It's a minor effect overall, but it really does make a difference. Deck is okay, not great, but you have a good starting health, and that with the armor allows you to power through bad draws to get to see more cards before you're in danger of dying. I think this combination could be really powerful once the deck is tuned.
    I'll agree with this. The armor stands out as my favorite part about this combo.
    I think it actually is a pretty big deal as a lot of decks in the early content lead with a 1/x and it essentially makes the first one worthless as the AI will attack into your armor even if it doesn't have a followup to make the attack matter.

I also think the wide instead of tall shard grid presents an interesting challenge. You can use prety much any non-wild heavy shard combo, but you'll never get to cut loose with the rares/legendaries.

[edit] I forgot to mention, that the necrotic backstory really makes the humans look like jerks. I find that amusing because in general the Ardent are supposed to be the "good guys" but the necrotic perspective really undermines that.
    Last edited by Turtlewing; 01-28-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    Elf Warior:

I do find it odd that I can use more rare/legendary artifacts than I can Wold or Ruby cards at level 2, and that looking ahead to level 9 uncommons never go above 2 but rare & legendaries increase to 3 in wild and ruby.
    I think this got to do with the fact that elves are a lot about epic stories, which are in turn about magical artifacts (thus more rare/legendary artifact cards) and about legendary heroes (high rarity ruby/wild cards).

Shin'hare on the other hand are more about sending out waves of nameless little hoppers and don't have that much heroic figures, which is reflected in their grid prefering rather low-rarity wild and blood cards, and relativily few artifacts (as i recon shin'hare equipment is cheap to supply such huge amounts of troops),

This leads to the shin'hare grid seaming more balanced/logical, but i think it all has something to do with lore.