Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

(Dwarf) Cleric Feedback

General: Cleric power level seems slightly low compared to other classes (other classes charge powers have much greater effect on the board state). It would feel better if each talent came into play at least once a game, many times they do not. Playing a cleric does not feel like playing a cleric does in any other game, you never get that I just saved the battle with a big heal feel (maybe I am asking a lot in this but, that is the main part of the class in almost all other games).

Racial Traits: Armor is much better (at least at lower levels) then I had thought it would be, saving 1 damage a turn really adds up in long games, and you can ignore the first 1 attack creature, which is real nice.

I really don’t like Friend of the Jankbot, if it synergized with the number of cards used to get more of the other talents (100 card deck), this would be a pretty good talent, but to add another 50 to 90 cards to your deck just for 2 charges (and maybe jankbots if you want to play them and or have them), is not worth, not to mention at low level since jankbot is a rare you could only add one anyways.

(Master Artificer sounds great it wont be usable till the next PVE expansion)

Pray charge power: Pray is in some ways like the wintermoon effect, where you buff your deck for future benefit, but much weaker. With wintermoon you get card advantage in the future, with pray you get a few extra health and a way to activate abilities that are based on actions or health. Meaning you need to have some part of that combo in play for it to be useful (otherwise you get no board position now and also no board position in the future).

Part of the weakness is in most games (even with a mid-range to slow deck full of [sapphire] card draw) you normally get zero or one blessing a game, I can imagine this would be even worse for any race that has no Sapphire to start with. Another problem is it only interacts well really with a few cards, Wrenlocke, Skarn, Phoenix, Paladin of Necropolis, and Righteous Paladin, so you are forced into using/buying them to get any utility from it. You will notice almost all these cards are rare or legendary so at low levels you can only have one of each in your deck, so you only have one (as opposed to 4) of the cards you deck is based upon in your deck.

If the Power will stay like this they need to add some uncommon/common PVE cards that interact with Pray in some positive way. (That you can obtain very low level) Another possible solution would be instead of creating 2 cards in your deck, create one card in your hand, or change the blessings from draw one card to look at top 3 cards and pick one card.

Race Combo Trait: Blessing rod, gaining a charge is nice, if you have a blessing to play, but as I said earlier you almost never have a blessing to play so it almost never does anything. At this point it is best used as an artifact enabler, which really doesn’t fit into the cleric “feel” very much or into the build of the class talents.

Turreted wall sounds ok (not game breaking but ok) but we will need to wait for 2 PVE expansions to get the benefit of it.

Class Talents: 5 talents buff your health (one of them adds a dungeon life also, one on shard cast, and one only happens on blessing cast), more life is always nice but will never win you the game.

Blessing: Empowerment adds a little board position (buffing a troop +1/+1) help when casting blessings, but not a great deal and still only very few times a game. Also does not help if you have no troop on the board.

Some of the talent are fun and exciting (blessing of the Immortals, and Divine alter) but they are so rare in happening and random you cannot ever plan on them happening and build around them.

Affinity: Cleric is powerful in a troop heavy deck, but to take advantage of pray you need to be action heavy and use troops that synergize with actions (if you are a dwarf cleric – sapphire/ruby) these clerics do not really exist. So it doesn’t fit very well.

Soul Vessel has the same problem but in this case it hits into a artifact heavy deck, but could still be at least good for any cleric.

Karma helps a bit with getting blessings quicker but still a lot of randomness and not much impact when you get them.

The other talents very slightly buff your troops, steadfast or +0/+1 and aren’t really worth it.

Tldr: All in all Dwarf Clerics are very good at stalling, not very good at winning, and not very exciting to play. You could make a cleric deck more beat down and pretty much just ignore the blessings but in that case you might as well make a warrior and get the use of the battle power.

If at higher levels blessings have more board impact much of this will alleviated, but for a low level cleric it’s not great, and I still feel the class needs a power something like “quick action: prevent the next 3-4 damage done to target troop or champion” to actually get the cleric feel.

In case that seemed overly harsh just want to also say I am really loving PVE, love the work on the campaign and every thing lately. I just wanted to give some feedback.

Let me get this out of the way first:
    Made Character named: "JankTown"
    Made 150 card 1x JankBot deck. Lagged through 3 encounters so hard due to deck size. However, the deck is surprisingly good, and I love the friend of Jank synergy.

They really need to have a resolution for large decks on the server to not have lag issues, or what's the point of designing traits around 100+ card decks?

With that out of the way....
    I appreciate your take on the class, as it's the second I want to do a play through using. I feel like there is a lot that can be explored in how this deck synergizes with Charge-themed decks, which I love to play. It is weird to have a "Cleric" race and not have access to Diamond and Blood cards initially, so the way you actually "Heal" with this class is odd. The thematic and approach to Dwarf Cleric is awesome, but I see problems with it initially mainly due to the current card pool, and the server inefficiencies with larger deck sizes.

I do think blessing needs "prevent the next 2 damage dealt to target troop this turn" either instead of the self heal or as an option instead of the self heal to really feel like a traditional cleric.

Clerics should be healing their troops more than themselves.

It seems to me that clerics are designed around the talent that makes your blessings continually move to the top of the deck - along with card draw.

Honestly, I feel the charge power should do something thematic AND create the blessings.

Dwarf: Buff a robot by 0/+1 or add 2 counters to a construction plan and 2 blessings
    Coyotle: Prophesy of some variety + 2 blessings
    Vennen: Create 2 spider eggs + 2 blessings

etc.

I think it would be nice to have some immediate thematic impact to my charge power, as well as the blessings because, as you mentioned, the blessings just feel kind of mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    It seems to me that clerics are designed around the talent that makes your blessings continually move to the top of the deck - along with card draw.
    This may be true but you still have the 2 main problems of: even with that talent you do not draw blessings very quick since the only way to put them in the deck is still with the charge power; and more importantly even when you draw one it is no big deal since it doesn't effect the board (or draw you an extra card or anything like that) and only gives a little life.

Clerics revolve around a few things, (at least untill we see the next tier)
    life gain triggers, combined with clerics troop types
    exploiting 0 cost actions that draw a card
    high hp to survive to play late game bombs (weakest of the 3 i bet). Sure warrior has high hp too, but its decreased hand size makes playing late game decks harder.

All of which the charge power does help with, how much it helps varies a lot. The hero power does require some build around for it to be useful. I think the cleric is a very strong class.

Quote Originally Posted by shocker455 View Post
    Clerics revolve around a few things, (at least untill we see the next tier)
    life gain triggers, combined with clerics troop types
    exploiting 0 cost actions that draw a card
    high hp to survive to play late game bombs (weakest of the 3 i bet). Sure warrior has high hp too, but its decreased hand size makes playing late game decks harder.

All of which the charge power does help with, how much it helps varies a lot. The hero power does require some build around for it to be useful. I think the cleric is a very strong class.
    The cleric is absolutely very strong... mostly because of starting life and talents. It's charge power just feels unsatisfying.

I like the idea of 'prevent the next two damage'... honestly, another possibility would be to have the 'specialized blessings' just REPLACE basic blessings with a fairly low-tier talent...

Gigantisaur
    Not saying the class is under or over powered, but talents can't be evaluated solely on the basis of "Is this good at my current level/deck" because most won't pass that test. Some are leveling talents, some are end game. Some are built for control decks, some aggro, etc...

Dwarf Cleric may have a weaker early game, but it's way too early to make any claims on relative value among classes. (Most endgame powerhouses struggle early game)