Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Most Hated Encounter in the Campaign and Why? (SPOILERS, DUH)

Anything mill, but that should be obvious knowing me

Master Theorycrafter
    I really don't like the Wiktor fight as a mage. The amount of times he can doom you on turn 2 is just blatantly unfair and unfun.

It generally goes something like this:
    Wiktor wins coin flip.
    Turn 1 - Wiktor plays blood shard and Rot-Mind Zombie. Wiktor Pings and Attacks with free Spitfire Elemental. (Unaffected by Troop Trauma?) Down to 13.

Mage plays a shard. Passes turn.

Turn 2 - Wiktor plays ruby shard and 1/2 Crush Zombie that gets bigger every time the player takes any damage. Wiktor attacks with Rot-Mind Zombie and Attacks/Pings with Spitfire Elemental. Down to 9, and all spells in hand are cost +1, delaying any 2-drops you have by an extra turn.

Mage sits there because everything in his hand is now 3+

Turn 3 - Wiktor has a Spitfire Elemental, a Rot-Mind Zombie, and at least a 4/2 to 5/2 crush elemental. Wiktor lethals you without you being able to play a single card.

This encounter needs to be tuned down, either by Rot-Mind Zombie being nerfed to 2 resources or the Spitfire Elemental being affected by Troop Trauma if Wiktor goes first.

Master Theorycrafter
    Honestly, I've been loving everything about PVE, even the challenge content I may not have completed yet. However, Wormoids. Honestly, if Wormoids was required, I probably wouldn't have progressed past that point and given up on the game, it is that badly designed to me. I hate wormoids to a level that cannot be expressed, and it hurts to say that. It really does, because I wanted to love everything about this game. But a situation where, no matter which way you attempt to accomplish a goal, you are slogging through a seemingly endless string of losses due to complete RNG or having to repeat an action 15+ times to mitigate that... it just hurts. I like puzzles, and having to tune decks to world encounters. I like that. But Wormoids devoids all of that and says "play your deck and repeat this ad nauseum or play our deck and bash face into wall ad nauseum." There is no point where I thought that Wormoids was a challenge. Because it's not, it's a choice. Use RNG or repeat, and repeat again, and again. Though what I wouldnt give for a Primal Shard from those fights or two to always be in my deck.

On the flip side, I absolutely love the Squashing Pumpkins fight in thebeginning of the Feralroot. And the dungeons I have done have been incredibly fun and what I expected of this early PVE. Really enjoying it overall.
    Pro Player

Wormoids make me wonder if perhaps "challenging" content in this game would be extremely hard to implement.

You either make things difficult to the point that you have to try them over and over and hope you luck in to the optimal counter or make a deck specifically to counter the encounter or, like in the case of one of the methods of doing wormoids; do it slowly and tediously.

None of these options are fun and the only skill element perhaps comes in the form of making a deck to deal with the situation.

Much the same comes from dealing with piranhas or killipede but those are not as bad because you don't have to handicap yourself to get them done in a reasonable time frame, you just have to make a deck specifically to deal with them, which is bad, yes but not "make a deck and then play it several times" bad.

And that is assuming you have the cards to build something that can counter those decks, if you don't, then they go from being "optional" to being "this fight is not for you", which of course will upset players (for a subset of people, nothing is "optional").

On one of my characters I decided to use only commons and PvE cards, the idea was to emulate what a newer player would experience (so I could give a better opinion on the subject, it's one thing to say you love a game when you have a pool of thousands of cards, it's another to recommend a game like this when you don't). What I learned was... it seemed perfectly viable, barring a number of useful uncommons I couldn't use, I had a pretty solid deck... except when it came to those special encounters. In the case of wormoids, I just could not see doing it with my pool of cards.

...I was going to expand on this but I got distracted and lost my train of thought, also I realize I am now hungry too.

...I need to go to the store, bleh. I will edit in some more later, or not, whatever.
    What is in these blasted chests?!

What is Armies 6?

Can you repeat the armies of myth fight over and over again?

when you go back to the army of myth fight you can select a harder difficulty, with 6 being the highest and the one that awards a special card card.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Pssst... Drowned Shrine. It also technically wrecks the Goliath. Just take something to discard/transform the shrine for other fights and you have yourself a golden ticket to much easier fights (if you draw into it at the right times.)
    This is why i love being a mage. Soothsaying for the win. Also 8 card starting hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAoE2 View Post
    This encounter needs to be tuned down, either by Rot-Mind Zombie being nerfed to 2 resources or the Spitfire Elemental being affected by Troop Trauma if Wiktor goes first.
    I can concur with the rot-mind zombie. By turn 2 there's enough 1/2 cost removal that can deal with the spitfire. I play necro mage myself, and I have burns and crackling bolts for this encounter, using the gloves on the burns. Then I use an eye of lixil to deal with all the x/1 lethals (This also gets around the spitfire damage if I don't get my removal in my opening two 8-card hands).

I think the 3/1 zombie that causes random discard, then put two cards from crypt back to hand is a bit rougher as it can steal your key cards. I ended up bringing Frost Wizards to void that punk, it does mean I no longer gets cards back from the crypt but a lot better than dealing with it cycling back into his hand all the time lol

Master Theorycrafter
    Why dont you get cards back? I thought Frost Wizard only applied to opponents Crypts
    Pro Player

Quote Originally Posted by Ebynfel View Post
    Why dont you get cards back? I thought Frost Wizard only applied to opponents Crypts
    It relates to the effect of Bloated Zombie (I think thats the name) - come into play effect is all players discard a card, and on death it returns 2 cards from the crypt to the hand.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png