Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Wormoids are really bad design

so there are a number of reasons why the wormoids are terrible, and none of are the fact that the encounter is challenging- but why the encounter is challenging. The game shouldn't mess with your deck, make your restart over and over again til you get the one card that wins for you, or make you replay the same fights repeatedly if you don't want to do those things. This is bad stuff and its not fun. Optional isn't an excuse for it being this bad, it needs to just be removed entirely in my opinion.

Im a ks backer and invested in the game, but if i was not then upon arriving at the wormoids section, I would quit and never look back. Its that poorly made.

The rest of the campaign so far was real good btw, so gj with everything else.

Imo it would be ok if they just reduced it to 20-30 gnomes. Then it would be less of a grind or a bit less rng based depending on how many you try to take..

Why don't you bring less gnomes?
    Maybe you have to do more battles.. But I found easier if you take the right route with 8-9 gnomes per trip
    IGN: Geffen

I found 20 gnomes is a good compromise between too many extra crap in your deck and never seeing your 'real' cards, and having too few and doing a million trips. Even just 10 at a time is fine. save that battle for when you have spare time to watch tv or something and just mindlessly play

The problem with taking so few is then you're spending hours on a quest that only gives a single pack and a bad card, when instead you could run through the first area in that time, get a ton more packs and a few race specific cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamand View Post
    The problem with taking so few is then you're spending hours on a quest that only gives a single pack and a bad card, when instead you could run through the first area in that time, get a ton more packs and a few race specific cards.
    So this is why it's so badly designed, its like a punishment on the player. You choose between the frustration of fighting with lots of gnomes in your deck, the boring time consuming nature of grinding the fights while not carrying many gnomes, or skipping content. As a game player who doesn't have tons of time to waste on boring games when I've got plenty of other ones to play, but doesn't like skipping quests especially in a game like hex is now with limited pve content, if I wasn't invested in this as a backer I would refuse to take any of these three punishments and would just go play other games.

Considering how good the rest of the campaign is, there's no need for this encounter to be like this and you dev people need to put this high on the tier list for a change.

Personally, I loved it. Took 30 gnomes on my first go, then 15 and and another 15 because I wanted to clear all three wings. Great fun and nice design for a segment that felt somewhat "different" from other battles. Can't ask more from a supposed rpg than creating a different "vibe" in each section, while presenting a bit of a challenge as well.

It's challenging, yes, and it came as a bit of a surprise to be stuck there behind compulsory battles... but saying that, I managed to beat the Wormoid Queen with all 60 gnomes and without modifying my deck from the standard build I use, so it's doable. It was definitely an interesting section with a unique feel.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by theradol View Post
    So this is why it's so badly designed, its like a punishment on the player. You choose between the frustration of fighting with lots of gnomes in your deck, the boring time consuming nature of grinding the fights while not carrying many gnomes, or skipping content. As a game player who doesn't have tons of time to waste on boring games when I've got plenty of other ones to play, but doesn't like skipping quests especially in a game like hex is now with limited pve content, if I wasn't invested in this as a backer I would refuse to take any of these three punishments and would just go play other games.
    Sadly, I have to agree with this. And if you want to use only cards gained in the campaign - what most player likely do anyway - it's extra punishing and unfun.

The other problem, that the quest is poorly explained. More than one player thought he stuck in the campaign, because they didn't knew they can put down the gnomes and leave, and their deck was too weak to defeat the wormoids.

Wormoid encounters can be quite hard, try a bit less gnomes (like 6 or something) also maybe the deck needs a bit of modding, becouse bigger wormoids get +1tunneling for an action played, smaller ones get it for a troop played, for the queen.. I havent figured out a proper tactic till now, since she have mixed troops.
    And the reward is the xp + gold, not the pack