Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consider bringing PvE Mulligan System into PvP?

Consider bringing PvE Mulligan System into PvP?

Unlike many others here, I'm still only at level 4 (Elf Mage) and certainly my deck doesn't have high resource curve, but so far I have not really had any resource screw. With number of games I have played, I feel in PvP, I'd have at least one or two by now. Obviously, it's random chance and playing against other player always poses more challenge than AI but I think we cannot ignore the effect of free first mulligan on PvE. I wonder if HEX can make it simply default for entire game including PvP.

What do you all think?
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

I think I'd be in favor of that actually. It really does seem to fix the screw problem in PVE a considerable amount.

Another thing that might work for PVP would being able to change your decision to play first if you do have to mull down. Thats always bugged me when you have to mull once or twice and are playing first you really end up with a card disadvantage cause you don't draw when you play first.

no.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

For the player on the draw, yes.

Seems fine to me.

Although some people are going to tell you that while it's perfectly fine to build your deck around the *current* mulligan rules, building your deck around a *different* set of mulligan rules would be awful and totally break the game.

This is unfortunately a case of 'be careful what you wish for'. All decks would objectively benefit from this, yes, but the decks that would benefit the most from friendlier mulligan rules tend to be combo or pseudo-combo decks, then control decks (that don't necessarily need specific cards to function, but are looking for a somewhat set mix of cards), then aggro decks last (as these decks have the most built-in redundancy already, they benefit the least from additional options with mulligans). The decks that would benefit the most are likely to be decks like Cressida and Azurecannon, which are not always the most popular decks to play against. In contrast, decks like ruby aggro would be hugely disadvantaged, relatively speaking, as they don't gain as much from the extra mulligan and lose a huge amount to the extra consistency of the slower decks, and those decks' ability to find cards like Heat Wave or Carnasaurus early post-reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Seems fine to me.

Although some people are going to tell you that while it's perfectly fine to build your deck around the *current* mulligan rules, building your deck around a *different* set of mulligan rules would be awful and totally break the game.
    That's not actually what people are saying people are saying this is hex. If you want another game there are plenty they do it differently and many try to have weird mulligan rules or resource weaving. Just because you dislike it shouldn't give you the right to ruin it for everyone else and so far it doesn't.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    That's not actually what people are saying people are saying this is hex. If you want another game there are plenty they do it differently and many try to have weird mulligan rules or resource weaving. Just because you dislike it shouldn't give you the right to ruin it for everyone else and so far it doesn't.
    So what you saying is that the people playing Magic aren't playing Magic any more because the Mulligan rules have changed of the years?

While Magic's mulligan rules have been tweaked (once significantly with the Paris mulligan, and a fairly minor addition recently of adding 'scry 1' to any mulligan below 7), a free mulligan to 7 is a drastic change. Older formats in particular would be almost unrecognisable with a free mulligan to 7, and there would be a real danger of Legacy and Modern devolving into nothing but combo and anti-combo aggro control.