Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PvE -> trying PvP as F2P

PvE -> trying PvP as F2P

..is it even possible?

I may have misunderstood how things work, but I think that in order to participate in any PvP activity, you need either plat or current decks (should be Armies of Myth, with the older sets being useless?).

Chances seem to be pretty slim to get plats from the AH - stuff that can reasonably be found in PvE are listed at minimum price I'd say - clunky AH interface doesn't really help there.

Chances at buying a current card pack for gold seem to be even smaller, a.k.a. non existent.

So what's the idea here? I had the general impression, that glimpses into the PvP game should have been possible from PvE, but if that intention existed, it's certainly not manifesting anywhere I can see?

The main method of breaking into PvP from PvE is farming gold (probably best done via Arena.) Advertise that you are selling gold for plat and you will often get offers for it (just make sure you keep an eye in the exchange rates.)

As for the legal sets, currently all the PvP srts are tournament legal, however only Armies of Myth is legal in Draft/Sealed. If you want to play constructed, farming gold for plat and buying singles would be your best bet.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

This is the kind of topic that makes me sad.
    The lack of a a clear "how to do" in game about all the possibility of the game and its economy make it really difficult to understand for new players.
    Many players give up immediatly or they take the wrong way at the start and lose heart quikly because of their wrong choice...

Drop the beta tag seems to soon without a much more complete tutorial and a better communication toward new players...
    Last edited by Gregangel; 02-04-2016 at 01:04 PM.

There are plenty of ways to break-down the marketing model, and posts here that do it. The problem is, it takes a lot of time, and reading to understand why, and that doesn't work for the F2P instant-gratification generation.

Too Long Didn't Read:
    The game can be played completely F2P - Both PvE and PvP. All formats. PvP Tournament play for free, requires aggressive use of trading and the auction house, and converting a significant amount of PvE time farming into PvP currency.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 02-04-2016 at 02:55 PM.

"glimpses into the PvP game" what does that even mean?

While people are farming the ~73k gold (subject to market prices) to do a draft, they might want to watch a bunch of drafts on streams. Seems like a shame to waste all that farm to get wrecked in an unfamiliar meta.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Too Long Didn't Read:
    I really don't think you're allowed to say that if the TL;DR section is longer than the other section.
    Things to do at WonderCon: Be Cory Jones.

Old FAQs, courtesy of Bernado

Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    "glimpses into the PvP game" what does that even mean?

While people are farming the ~73k gold (subject to market prices) to do a draft, they might want to watch a bunch of drafts on streams. Seems like a shame to waste all that farm to get wrecked in an unfamiliar meta.
    In my context it would mean playing an occasional PvP (maybe once/week) match without an expectation to have that self-sustained via winning tournaments. The idea would obviously be to play for the cards gained by the initial draft, while any loot from winning would be icing on the cake.

Realistically I'd expect to have that after about 10-20h of PvE play per entry - which doesn't seem manageable at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinane View Post
    In my context it would mean playing an occasional PvP (maybe once/week) match without an expectation to have that self-sustained via winning tournaments. The idea would obviously be to play for the cards gained by the initial draft, while any loot from winning would be icing on the cake.

Realistically I'd expect to have that after about 10-20h of PvE play per entry - which doesn't seem manageable at this point.
    But that is not realistic.

On a related note, a non-KS tier account playing arena can farm enough gold for a draft in 5 hours.
    If you average each run at a not overly fast 30 minutes, and 1 hour = 100plat after conversion. It's still mind-numbingly boring, but possible.

and BlueRider - I know
    Last edited by nicosharp; 02-05-2016 at 08:11 AM.

The Transcended
    As Nico said, farming Arena with a dedicated speed deck should net you a draft every 5-10 hours or so. Take the Gold to the Trade chat and swap it for Plat.

The 5-10hr farm per draft is based on not selling cards. Farm and draft winnings and card sales should be cycled into next draft. Learning effective ways to farm. Learning draft meta so you can get those first round wins. Learning how efficiently price and sell cards on AH. These are skills a player needs to speed up that cycle.

On the constructed side, things are dead and there is no way realistic way a new player to break without a large bank roll. I think there is a weird chicken or the egg situation. Some of us are hoping for Hex to create low-powered format tournament i.e Rock Gauntlet to create a path for new players but so far it not received much traction. Ladders seem like next big feature on the PvP front and only Hex knows what it entails.