Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX Invitational FAQ Thread

Sensei of the Wounded Petal

HEX Invitational FAQ Thread

So, some I got some good news in my annual performance evaluation at work, and it looks like I'm going to have the resources to take a mini-vacation and attend the big tournament, and I'm trying to plan this out.

Information on the event seems to be scattered all over the place (and a lot of it is outdated), so I'm making this thread with the intent to try to distill as much information as possible into one, easy to review place.

(I don't want to tell you how long it took me to find THIS)

I will update this with more questions and answers as this thread evolves, as I'm sure I won't get everything in my first pass. This is meant to be a combination of officially released info and additional community insights.

What is the HEX Invitational?
    It's the Superbowl of HEX, Dude! 12 Players have earned their way into the largest big cash prize tournament in the game's history. Here's what is up for grabs:
    a. 1st place: $40,000
    b. 2nd place: $20,000
    c. 3rd place: $13,000
    d. 4th place: $9,000
    e. 5th place: $5,000
    f. 6th place: $4,000
    g. 7th place: $3,000
    h. 8th place: $2,000
    i. 9th place: $1,000
    j. 10th place: $1,000
    k. 11th place: $1,000
    l. 12th place: $1,000

Who are the contestants?
    You can find their profiles HERE

When is this happening?
    March 5th and 6th, 2016.
    The venue will open at 10 AM both days and close at the conclusion of the event: roughly at 6 PM

WHERE???
    eSports Arena 120 W. 5th St., Santa Ana, CA 92701
    http://esportsarena.com/events/

Cost?
    No entry fee to attend!

How many people can attend Live?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenteo View Post
    We can possibly fit up to 300 people before the fire marshal gets angst-y. I really doubt we will be turning people away, but I will leave a disclaimer that if we reach capacity, we will have to turn people away or have them wait in a line outside.
    How Do I Attend?
    Just show up when the doors open! As far as I currently know, no advance registration is required. Assuming seating will be on a first come, first served basis.

Will there be swag?
    Click HERE to see the items available, and their cost.

In addition, most of the HEX staff will be on-site and mingling with the attendees. You can even get an awkward hug from Cory!

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    The posters are really awesome. Glitter FTW!
    So, will there be any news on Set 4 at this thing?
    YES!!! Set 4 will be playable for those in attendance! I'm sure lots of information / spoilers will be trickling out from those who see the cards fist hand.

*fingers crossed we get a Set 4 release date announcement*

I can't make it to California. Can I still watch the event?
    YES! It will be streamed on the Official Hex Twitch Channel, with commentary from Silent Snake, Dinotropia, and Alucard

The stream starts at 10am PST, the same time the doors are opening.

Also, don’t forget to log into the game during the HEX Invitational weekend to receive a special HEX Invitational sleeve. (Assuming this sleeve is different than the one that will come from posters available on-site.)

So... the event ends at 6pm~ish each night? THEN WHAT???
    If there are any confirmed after-parties or events people know of and wish to share, I will add that information here. Also greatful for local knowledge of fun things to do if anyone is extending a vacation beyond the event itself.

There are no official HEX sponsored after-tournament events planned for Saturday or Sunday - so anything that happens is impromptu and community run.

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    Just jumping in to confirm that we have dinner plans with competitors on Friday, but nothing is scheduled from our end for Saturday and Sunday nights.

Tell me about Hotels

Well, Phenteo revealed the 12 players are going to be here:
    Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel
    12221 Harbor Blvd.
    Garden Grove, CA 92840
    714-703-8400
    Please be respectful of their personal space.

I did a quick and dirty google search and there are quite a few hotels / motels within 1/2 miles of the venue.

Who will be there?
    (Besides the players and streamers, there will be Hex staff, and those named below.)
    If you are confirmed to be in attendance, I can add you to the list here.
    This list is not all-inclusive. Sorted people to help you know where you may recognize them from. Sorry if I don't properly have you credited for something. I don't know everyone / I forget things!

Confirmed HEX Staff
    NOBLEStarshield
    NOBLERoostasaur

Confirmed Community Members
    Hex_Colin (EXALTED)
    Armies
    ThrawnOmega (IGN: Thrawn)
    Gwaer
    Kurposkano
    Dylannorthrup
    Chromus
    Bosmopar (Enrofenrir forum)
    Celandine (Selali forum)
    Crota
    Thoom
    Wurtil (Fiveshards.com and hextcg.com articles)
    Technophi (Fiveshards)
    Saeijou

Streamers
    Sithos
    Mokog
    Funktion
    Hacky

Podcasters
    OutlandishMatt - Threshold Podcast
    Josh - Threshold Podcast
    Deckofmanythings
    Last edited by ThrawnOmega; 03-02-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Hex Group Dinner on Friday, March 4th
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrawnOmega View Post
    If anyone is interested in doing a group dinner on Friday night, I will be in the lobby of the Sheraton on Friday, March 4th, 6pm local time. Look for a dude wearing a Star Wars shirt. (I don't yet have HEX apparel). I'll hang here from 6 to 6:15 for people to gather, introduce each other, and then we'll walk down the block to get food. Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack, and Outback Steakhouse are really close, and there are other options too.
    Last edited by ThrawnOmega; 02-28-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    It's a shame they are location locked (barring the few people with connections to those attending.) I think the poster looks great, and would quite like it as sleeves, but I don't seem to know anyone attending, much like last years Gencon.

You'd think someone as vocal as me would have better connections
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

For the limited space. We can possibly fit up to 300 people before the fire marshal gets angst-y. I really doubt we will be turning people away, but I will leave a disclaimer that if we reach capacity, we will have to turn people away or have them wait in a line outside.
    -Phenteo, Former Community Manager and Egg Giver
    Twitter: @CM_Phenteo | @HEXTCG

"It's polite to say thank you when someone gives you a gift, human." -Phenteo

Quote Originally Posted by Phenteo View Post
    For the limited space. We can possibly fit up to 300 people before the fire marshal gets angst-y. I really doubt we will be turning people away, but I will leave a disclaimer that if we reach capacity, we will have to turn people away or have them wait in a line outside.
    Good to know, and I will update OP. Thanks!

Spoilers: I will be there in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by NOBLEStarshield View Post
    Spoilers: I will be there in the flesh.
    Yay! Noble hype!

Roostasaur coming too? I want to shake hands with the person who calls me out by rank (Grand Admiral) whenever he sees me in game chat.

I will be there supporting my fellow dragonborns as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ThrawnOmega View Post
    Yay! Noble hype!

Roostasaur coming too? I want to shake hands with the person who calls me out by rank (Grand Admiral) whenever he sees me in game chat.
    I will ask him and get back to you!