Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about the AZ1 overworld map?

My main issue is the ardent and underworld play-through is nearly identical. Its makes ardent vs underworld choice feel completely unimportant. And that's counter to my understanding of AvU being a central driver of story and lore.

My only complaint with the Adventure Zone map is that I find it strange they went with a weird 3D model for the map. Everything else they've done has been beautiful hand-painted stuff, like the Dungeons and Panoramas. The 3D version just stands out as different. And yeah, scale is a bit of an issue, since all we have are iconic representations of various dungeons. I'd honestly like to see it illustrated out like the dungeon maps are. And they don't even have to be realistic or accurate maps, for that matter. Junkyard Dogs and Kraken's Gold maps had various representations on them that were more illustrative than informative, and I think that would work great to bring various environments to life.

That's my two cents on the matter.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The one gripe I have about the overworld map is how the Water Elemental / Fae Tricksters path doesn't respect the laws of physics or geography.

If the current under the bridge is heading north, and is so strong that it carries you, the land around the junction near the Fae Tricksters would have been a lot more eroded (especially on the northern shore), and you would be pushed even further north into the sea(?). Instead, you are pushed west into the other river. The way this junction is shaped indicates the water should flow under the bridge towards the south.

While it can be argued which way the water flows in the first half of the trip, the second half is a lot more clear cut. The source of the river is in the south, and the confluence, where it joins the other river, is near the Fae Tricksters encounter. This means you are being dragged along the river against the current.
    I agree that the water path looks strange for our world, but you are dealing with water elementals and magical tricksters. The water elementals means that the current could be going both north and south from the bridge, and the fae could be using magic to change the current in their area so that more things end up there.

The map could use some annotations as well. We have no clue where we are at just looking at the maps. Some "Howling Plains" here and "Skittering Ridge" there would help a lot.

Also, how about nodes with multiple battles / choices within the node? One node per region of interest (say the forest you start in AZ1), but you have branching options: "You reach a fork in the road. Which route will you choose?" These could include a lot of different small events, perhaps you can only reach certain adjacent nodes by choosing a certain route. Special loot could be hidden behind a certain string of encounters etc.

That would make each node much more interesting.

Let me throw some random ideas I would like to see in the future

- Random encounters outside your faction-controlled lands: once we are able enter open world, walking swamps, forests, mountains, crossing rivers alone... suddenly, you're attacked by a Stalker of Marbaras!! if you win, you get some gold... if you lose, you lose some gold.

- Daily farm quests: Lucius Dergmoor, mayor of Tatarunga City, offers some reward to whom cleans the huge insect infestation around [Quest: defeat x10 insect-type creatures around Tatarunga City to get <reward>]
    These daily quests could be grouped into a bundle so if you achieve 5 different types of dailies you get *special* reward.

- Card pool surplus sink: "Slangaard Castle is under siege! provide x10 Vanguard troops [Cerulea or Gawaine] to break the siege". Then you need to reach the castle (after some random ambushes) and give the troops in order to be able to fight the final battle (boss) to break the siege.

- Some equipment surplus sink, may be some kind of mystical forge where you can combine X amount of different equipment get *random* equipment you don't own. Results may vary depending on the rarity, quantity and type. May be it's possible to add some stardust to the mix to enhance transmutation process. Of course, stardust rarity varies the result as well.
    Maybe some of the next Set 3 rare/legendary PvE equip is only available through this mystical forge. Evidently, mystical forge is controlled by [opposite faction], so you can only access and use it after achieving a difficult quest chain.

- Concrete cards progress: quest chains where you focus on releasing a given card powers. PvP cards transformed by this, get PvE status.
    a) earn the card (Sky'le Griffin for example)
    b) quest 1,2,3,4... > get +x/+x, different keywords, "socketable", cost reduction -1, etc
    You are always allowed to use the card, but in it's current status.
    There could be a final boss quest with a nice reward, but you need a playset of fully enhanced cards to access.
    You are only able to run quest chain 4 times per card playset (you can only enhance 4 Griffin). You can sell these cards in the AH so you make some space and run the quest chain again.
    Cards available for this enhancement process can be enabled by other "secret" quests around the world map. Cards available for this process may change weekly, monthly...

I still have other ideas lurking in my mind, but still need some tweaking... hope this could *inspire* HEX devs... although I wish they already way better ideas for the next zones and surprise us with new outstanding features and gameplay modes!
    Last edited by Hrinkell; 02-10-2016 at 09:09 AM.

I like it, but I am coming from a TCG background and have never played MMO's.

While I am sure we could all come up with a ton of improvements, these things take time. I would rather have the level of content we have here on a regular release than wait longer for a slightly more pleasing version.

I think we can all agree there is nothing else on the market like what we have here and we know there is still more to come.

For now, sure content to get us to max level is more important, though I'd say raids to give us something to grind for are almost as important. And hopefully once those 2 are in place they'll get a little fancier with the zones.

Also, I'd say card hunter is fairly similar to what we have now in terms of execution, if not in gameplay.

If it was any less linear then there would be significantly more threads about nerfing such and such encounter. Why would you want to fight Wicktor at lvl 4 for example. The only option the devs would have is to make those fights easier since they are accessible earlier.

I love the way AZ1 is laid out as the first zone though I am hopeful for more path choices as we get further into AZs and difficulty flattens out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The one gripe I have about the overworld map is how the Water Elemental / Fae Tricksters path doesn't respect the laws of physics or geography.

If the current under the bridge is heading north, and is so strong that it carries you, the land around the junction near the Fae Tricksters would have been a lot more eroded (especially on the northern shore), and you would be pushed even further north into the sea(?). Instead, you are pushed west into the other river. The way this junction is shaped indicates the water should flow under the bridge towards the south.

While it can be argued which way the water flows in the first half of the trip, the second half is a lot more clear cut. The source of the river is in the south, and the confluence, where it joins the other river, is near the Fae Tricksters encounter. This means you are being dragged along the river against the current.
    It's funny that you mentioned this; I noticed the same thing. The water should flow away from the mountains.

I also don't like the visual, especially compared to the cool art on cards and in dungeons etc.
    My advise would be to make the lines between encounter dots not so straight but more like a real path you would find on the ground. Pay an artist to design 15 or 20 and then randomly use them for maps and dungeons as connections.

Also the dots itsefls, even in dungeons do not really fit or look nice. just design a few more Fantasy looking things that reflect the type of encounter and if already done or not. Should not be THAT big of a deal.

And finally the Icons for the dungeons on the map. Some are quite nice, some look more like something out of a "my little pony" RPG. Does not fit the awesome quality of the game in total and especially the art there is and is to come.

This game is so F*CKING awesome, I think they will tweak this soon and I can't wait for the new stuff. I will pump alot of cash into the system with the start of Set 4 again