Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Promo Dust

Gigantisaur

Promo Dust

Now that we have lost our beloved orange rarity symbol on promos cards can we also look at losing promo rarity dust! We already pay a premium for Alternate Art cards and it feels painful dropping 4 promo dust to EA a Playset on common AA cards - like windborne acolyte etc. The prohibitive cost of dust impacts the price of uncommon and common AA's and shouldn't have this bad feeling around a cosmetic cool items. It cost 4 platinum to unlock 4 crushing blow but closer to 800 plat (in dust) to unlock a set of AA crushing blow (just the dust cost not including card price) this just seems ridiculous.
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL

So, the problem is that anyone who bought promo dust at some point in the past will be really mad if they make this change.

Also you don't have to EA anything ever. The closest it comes to mattering is the locked Elf racial trait, but that also works with regular AA cards so in this case doesn't matter.

It's expensive to EA cards, promo cards especially so but I think that's good. Those sort of cosmetic luxury items should be expensive.

Reasonable request - I would be fine if cards required one level higher rarity dust when unlocking AAs (hell maybe two levels higher - see examples below), this would also make EAing commons reasonably expensive while maintaining Promo dust price.

Option 1:
    AA Crushing blow - Uncommon dust
    AA Quash - Legendary dust
    AA Mastery of time - Promo dust

Option 2:
    AA Crushing blow - Rare dust
    AA Quash - Promo dust
    AA Mastery of time - Promo dust

Infernal Professor
    Honestly if they have kept track of promo dust use, they could just throw everyone 15k gold for every promo dust spent and remove the outmoded concept. Even if they haven't, they could just look at collections and give over 15k gold for every promo EA a player has.

For example, my AA burn set will remain unused, if it takes 100k to EA the entire set. It's cooler art, but it's not 100k gold cool, and it may never be. Promo dust remains a hindrance to AA commons, and while it does give players with excess gold something to blow it on, I think there are enough gold sinks. Right now the value of gold to platinum is such that spending 100k gold to EA AA commons is more than a draft worth of platinum, and that doesn't seem too appealing to me. Right now you're given a choice between an entirely EA set by spending chump change to unlock commons EA and using them instead of their AA counterpart, or blowing a ton of promo dust.

The worst part is there's still no way to see the EA version of a card before you unlock it. Right now you could blow promo dust only to find out you paid 25k for the view of a bit of shrubbery and a little dirt. Even if there are resources to find EA versions outside of the Hex client, it's not unreasonable to have a method of displaying the EA of a card before you blow the dust to unlock it, and if promo dust is to remain a barrier to EA your AA commons it seems even more necessary.

At the end of the day, having removing the promo designation, it seems like the perfect time to consider whether we really need promo dust going forward.

Promo dusts are very healthy to the economy. I dont ever see Hex removing it.

Gigantisaur
    How come if more people EA then it balances. I've heard people not EA because they can't EA while deck and feel its all or nothing. Remove the excess cost of promo more people EA. Its not as black and white as your argument presents.
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    How come if more people EA then it balances. I've heard people not EA because they can't EA while deck and feel its all or nothing. Remove the excess cost of promo more people EA. Its not as black and white as your argument presents.
    That's called "Price Elasticity Of Demand" I believe the people setting the prices for stardust are quite aware of it and based on usage data if they thought they could optimise the pricing better they would.

Promo dust is one pillar of the marketing model, just like spinning uncommon + chests are. Whale bait helps drive the economy forward.

Promo stardust is and always has been a horrible idea. If they want to have a chase dust, bump legendary dust up by 5k, make rare 10k, and leave common/uncommon where they are. Rare has an acceptable drop rate as it is now, and Legendary is just rare enough to be chasey without being a feel-bad on a stick like the promo dust.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Why would promo stardust be a bad idea?
    EAing an AA card doesn't give any benefits, it's purely cosmetic and like you are not supposed to own a playset of everything in Hex you are probably not supposed to have an EA version of every AA out there.
    Personally I think it's good to have some chase stardust, simply because it offers another gold/plat sink for those willing to spend.