Thread: Face Puncher (Dwarf Warrior)

Face Puncher (Dwarf Warrior)

Hey folks, I've been tinkering with the dwarf warrior concept and its "OP" race/class. The key for this deck is trying to acquire 4 charges a turn to keep the opponent locked out.

It's a fun little deck, that started out as more of a thought experiment, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something similar and what sort of list they used. I'm tempted to look into adding something time related or even Yesterday, and a few cards on the list are just in as a trial. So if anyone better at deckbuilding than me cares to chime in, that'd be much appreciated. Also this list might get a revision or two as the character levels.

Anyway, on to the list:

(Resources - The veg)
    Sapphire Shard x 9
    Ruby Shard x 5
    Shard of Innovation x4
    Crackling Vortex x4

(The Rest - The meat)
    Fuel for the Fire x2
    Morphology x2 (Gloves)
    Inductocopter Bot x2
    Charge Bot x3
    Time Ripple x3 (Weapon)
    Cloud Queen x2 (Feet)
    Lightning Elemental x2
    Charge Hulk x3
    Reactor Bot x3
    Arena Regular x3 (Head)
    Crackling Bolt x3
    Crackling Wit x3 (Trinket)

(One-offs - The seasoning, add to taste - The following can probably be replaced by pretty much anything though there's the possibility of Mirror Knight Storm Cloud nonsense)
    Cloud King x1
    Storm Cloud x1
    Acrhmage Wrenlocke x1 (Chest)
    Cerulean Mirror Knight x1
    Induction coil x1
    Shrine of Prosperity x1
    Lady Devonshire x1

At the moment the deck feels like it's got potential.

Talents in approximate order are:
    Fury (0 pts)
    Weight (0 pts)
    Warlord: Agility (1 pts)
    Warlord: Strength (2pts)
    Warlord: Concussive Strikes (1 pts)
    Affinity: Warriors (1pt)
    Adrenaline (2 pts)

Edit: Forgot equips
    Last edited by Venris; 02-16-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    War machinist is a 1 drop, a warrior, and IMO a better use of the chest slot than wrenlocke ( if for no other reason than you get 3 of him ).

Glendower and Highlands Blackbelt are also probably worth considering.

Adaptatron is also so OP that I would probably include him just to hedge your bets, even though he doesn't help your main theme ;p

Quote Originally Posted by velk View Post
    War machinist is a 1 drop, a warrior, and IMO a better use of the chest slot than wrenlocke ( if for no other reason than you get 3 of him ).

Glendower and Highlands Blackbelt are also probably worth considering.

Adaptatron is also so OP that I would probably include him just to hedge your bets, even though he doesn't help your main theme ;p
    I think you're right about the War Machinist, there's definitely a few of those 1-offs that are underperforming.

I've not had much experience with either Glendower or the Blackbelts, but could be worth a try.

And finally the Adaptrons... I actually gave them a lot of thought. The little devils are, as you say, so OP it almost didn't feel right not using them in a PvE deck. I may give them a try, but it can already be tight on cards to keep the lockdown on every turn. Going to make some changes and tests and come back with a revised list if I can.

I really like the idea of a stun deck and I really want to see you finish an optimized deck! It's just too bad that as of right now your deck looks a little too high for my budget :/ but hopefully ill get some ideas when people share some of their ideas

Highland Blackbelts are great almost regardless of the deck you're running (assuming that you have Ruby somewhere in there), and even moreso in an affinity deck. These guys (well... girls) along with Emberspire Witches are staple in anything Ruby I run in PvE. Devonshire decks have quite a number of troops with 2 defense, and Blackbelt deals with them very nicely. It also destroys Sporeshambler.

Glendowers aren't too powerful unless you're running them in a specialized dwarf/artifact deck. They may be ok here, though, because of their defense.

Adaptatrons are good, but not in this particular deck. Ideally, you spend a few turns accumulating your threats, and then swing while your enemy is locked, and Adaptatrons simply don't serve this purpose. They require too much preparation.

Considering absence of artifact synergy, you can try replacing Charge Bots with Wounded Veterans who have an added benefit of buffing off Blackbelts/each other. There are also Scraptech Brawlers to be considered.

Like in any charge deck, Goremaster could serve as another wincon.
    Last edited by Verdant; 02-17-2016 at 05:18 AM.

Not had too much time to play, but have just finished punching my way through the chained goliath.

First try went poorly, he unchained in 6 turns, wiped what I had and proceeded to destroy me. Second time went much better, double reactor bot and ready to go while he was still at 27. Tomorrow... Punching Witkor in the face.

Anyway, the list has had a few tweeks with the level 5 shard grid and continues strong against most "regular" campaign encounters. Beat the barricade easily, and that loss against the Goliath is one of only a couple of losses.

I'm starting to think the dwarf ability is bugged though... Does playing a resource count as refreshing your resources? When you hit an AI when they're on zero resources remaining (0/3 for example), they will not play a resource on their next turn. Might be working as intended, but from the description I think not? This means that if you can consistently generate 4 resources a turn, you can lock them out of the game completely.

Anyway, on to the deck list as is:

Resources:
    Sapphire Shard x 7
    Ruby Shard x 7
    Shard of Innovation x4
    Crackling Vortex x4

Arena Regular x3 (Head)
    Cerulean Mirror Knight x2
    Charge Hulk x3
    Cloud Queen x2 (Feet)
    Crackling Bolt x3
    Crackling Wit x3 (Trinket)
    Induction Coil x2
    Inductocopter Bot x2
    Lightning Elemental x2
    Morphology x2 (Glove)
    Reactor Bot x3
    Storm Cloud x2
    Time Ripple x3 (Weapon)

Currently testing:
    -------------
    Highlands Blackbelt x1
    War Machinist x2
    Wounded War Hero x3
    Last edited by Venris; 02-17-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Have a similar deck to this, worked well, killed Wiktor 1st try. Managed to keep him locked down a bunch of turns in a row.

I think what helps this deck is that the AI doesn't calculate properly that it has zero resources. It will swing with its troops like it thinks it is going to play new ones in 2nd main phase to hold up player, but then finds it has zero resources and can't do anything leaving it completely open to pound with buffed goremasters (which I notice you don't have, would recommend trying) and reactor bots.