Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PvP state of affairs

100% agree with virtually everything bootlace said.

If all those things were implemented tomorrow, this game would be in a much better place.

New set releases obviously help, but the tournament offerings need to be completely reworked imo.

Scheduled sealed is the best value when it fires, I don't know why anyone would want to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by katkillad View Post
    Scheduled sealed is the best value when it fires, I don't know why anyone would want to remove it.
    Queue Saturation.
    From a value perspective, there are a lot of great ways to play the game, but time spent sitting in a queue that does not fire, specially if you are planning your free-time around it being able to fire, diminishes the ROI perceived by it's reward structure.

Rock League Champion
    set4 or riot
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Queue Saturation.
    From a value perspective, there are a lot of great ways to play the game, but time spent sitting in a queue that does not fire, specially if you are planning your free-time around it being able to fire, diminishes the ROI perceived by it's reward structure.
    Blocking out 4 hours to play in a tournament that never fires is the worst.

No one has mentioned the one thing I have said from the very beginning of tournaments. The biggest reason tournaments arent firing, in my opinion, is the free to enter community events with better prize support. I said it from the very beginning that they would hurt the competitive scene, people see these events and decide to just wait for them instead of playing in actual tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    No one has mentioned the one thing I have said from the very beginning of tournaments. The biggest reason tournaments arent firing, in my opinion, is the free to enter community events with better prize support. I said it from the very beginning that they would hurt the competitive scene, people see these events and decide to just wait for them instead of playing in actual tournaments
    I don't see it as an issue, unless there are many many more of them firing at all times of the day, every day. People want to play, when they want to play. Tournaments come with some prequalifiers that we don't need to get into, as we both know what they are - depending on the tournament format. Also the tournament would need to be supported by HEX and in the tournament tab to really carry weight (and they are only experimenting with that now with fiveshards weekly.)

This goes to Bootlace's point about reducing queue saturation, and making Sealed Gauntlet the more pushed and touted "casual" format.
    Guaranteed reward structure for wins, Guaranteed prizes through the packs you open, and unlimited time to think and ponder on what and how you want to play your card pool.

This thread seems to contain a lot of stuff we have all seen before.

Hex is not finished yet.

People saying "we need x/y/z" when maybe those things are already planned isn't really much help.

When tournaments fire they remove platinum from the system. Eventually this means some people will have to buy more platinum, this means Hex makes money. You can be pretty sure they are already aware of events not firing often enough and that they want this fixed, its in their interests to keeping their jobs.

Wanting to get content out there and being able to do it are not the same things.

We know set 4 is coming, we assume it is soon. Saying "We need set 4" does nothing to speed up this process

We know that the PvE we have is just the beginning, we know they are working on more, we hope it is not too far behind set 4. Saying "We need more PvE, etc" does nothing to speed up this process.

Sharing ideas is a good thing, but telling people to do what they are already doing is pointless.

Phantom Draft is the key.

And here's the plan:
    1. Create a rare PvE encounter, kind of like a mini-Uruunaz that pays out something in the range of 25,000g and drops a key to a coliseum
    2. Make this encounter guaranteed once per life of an account with some lore reason as to why it will only become a rare random encounter afterwards
    3. Once unlocked, the coliseum brings up a UI to purchase your way into the phantom dance. The cost of which is populated by the AH cost of a pack (from a certain set) with the lowest buyout.
    4. The player is then entered into a phantom draft queue with a single pack as the entry fee.
    5. Since its a phantom, the players keep none of the cards, and the payout is 4-2-1-1.

Using the above method, you would seamlessly transition a PvE player to PvP without having a negative impact on the economy. The spawn rate of the rare encounter could be gated to the economic impact it is having on the game (IE spawns per sever) in the same manner Uruunaz is. Hell, you could just use Uruunaz and increase his encounter rate while decreasing the gold payout. Additionally you are stimulating the player-driven economy by directly encouraging the purchase of packs for gold.

The amount of coding it would require to pull this off would not be a deal-breaker, and simpler workaround than the direct AH plugin could be used in the meantime to really make the actual development work required minimal.

Please make this happen. It would be huge.
    Last edited by knightofeffect; 02-17-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

I think one other person mentioned the 17-card packs. I don't wonder if this has had a negative impact as well. From what I have experienced, the mono-shard decks seem better and there is less flexibility on what to play.

Probably only a piece of the puzzle though. Combine the 17-card packs with a lingering Set 3-only drafting experience and it has worn thin.

I can't help but wonder at what was "wrong" with 15 playable card packs given that the "other" company has only 14 (is that true or is it 13?). I think the better way to go would have been to cut a common in each pack. I can't help but wonder what 333 would like like with 14-card packs instead.

Prospectively, how do you plan a draft environment around 17-card packs? Folks who draft a bunch are just going to have a ton of "garbage" commons (and uncommons) that clog up the collection (not to mention how many more cards the client has to track!).

tl;dr - Not a fan of the 17-card drafting environment. It feels "off".