Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninja nerf to Vilefang Eremite equipment and thus pve vennen

Ninja nerf to Vilefang Eremite equipment and thus pve vennen

The equipment was changed to be once a turn which is a pretty big power nerf. This was not announced and not in the patch notes. Was this intentional or is this a bug?

The pre nerf equip my opinion it was one of reasons pve vennen is viable. Its not the only power but the nerf will hurt a lot.

Thoughts?

Guess they'd rather armor be a hard counter to vennen. Sigh. Well I was planning on playing both, but I guess spirits are gonna be my main now.

All PVE cards and equipment are fair game for nerfs. Also, they don't intentionally leave stuff out of the patch notes, but there's so much going on and so many people working on these releases that you're never going to get 100% coverage in the patch notes.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

I agree it hurts PvE Vennen but I would hardly say it makes PvE Vennen nonviable. The real combo is, and always has been, Hatchery Priest with gloves, Eremite, and Psychic Torment.

If 25% of the opponents deck is eggs and they have 60 cards (including eggs) in the deck there is 15 eggs in the deck. Assuming an even distribution then when the first egg comes out you mill out 2 cards plus the replacement for the egg. So each egg removes 4 cards from the deck. Again assuming an even distribution of eggs throughout the deck the first egg is a complete mill of the deck. Without Hatchery priest the requirement is 33% of the deck being eggs, or 20+ eggs in a 60 card deck.

Vile Stompers just made getting the requisite number of eggs, 25% or 33% of the deck, a little bit easier and made the combo a bit (very little bit) more reliable in the case of a bad egg distribution in the deck.

On the plus side this actually makes a full mill an option as opposed to before where the deck just grew indefinitely until the AI ran out of health. The result is the same though. Once the combo kicks in with a high enough deck percentage of spiders, you win.

Edit: Side note, this is actually a MUCH gentler nerf than what they did to War Machinist and the Tinkerer's Robes. The nerf to Tinkerer's Robes made them go from a 'must have' possible board wipe to kinda sorta useful. The nerf to Vile Stompers changes them from 'must have' to 'probably still the best boots in most spider decks'.
    Last edited by Unspecified; 02-18-2016 at 06:07 PM.

yeh it's not really going to make a huge difference to my Vennen PvE mentality
    once you get that critical number of eggs in the deck you are very unlikely to lose anyway

Yeah pve vennen is still very viable even with whatever nerf the equip received. vile stompers inserts eggs when you gain life and just about everything you do as a cleric gets you life. eremite plus healing aura makes eggs. eremite plus blessing equals eggs and more eggs. put some vamp princesses and maybe VK and get eggs (lifedrain). i use xentoth's inquisitor plus equip to give it lifedrain and the mill gem to get them eggs. even if it is once per turn with all these ways of getting eggs you are almost guaranteed to be doing it every turn and than consider if you have more than one eremite out.

i 'm thinking of trying the cleric affinity and alter talents just for my brood barons. also nazhk lookout and zilth really do work in my deck. if it wasn't for rng vennen cleric would be seriously OP.

man i love this deck.

Yeh Zilth's -1 ability on egg proc is disgusting.
    At first I thought it would be on a random troop but all troops?, uh... okay.

Quote Originally Posted by aristalis View Post
    Guess they'd rather armor be a hard counter to vennen. Sigh. Well I was planning on playing both, but I guess spirits are gonna be my main now.
    Do you have a spirit deck in mind? I've been trying to make one, but haven't been able to come up with a list as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ShloobeR View Post
    yeh it's not really going to make a huge difference to my Vennen PvE mentality
    once you get that critical number of eggs in the deck you are very unlikely to lose anyway
    I've played a lot of vennen and I have lost more games than I can count due to not drawing enough spiders despite having an overwhelming number in the opposing deck. Losing a game when you have 100 spider eggs in the enemy deck and not having them enter play is bad enough but having it happen on a fairly regular basis is what really makes me dislike playing vennen.

It feels like no other deck is punished by RNG like this, if I have dumped so many eggs in to a deck I should be rewarded for my efforts.

The ermine equip made for one of the stronger cards in my deck this is true, but a big part of it's strength was allowing more power in those situations where I was starved for spiders.

I can't say if it was overpowered or not, I don't think it was but my vennen cleric was only level 4 so I can't say how strong it can get. However It doesn't feel like not using vennen for that cleric is an option, given that I lose so much of the power of my blessings, so no matter how bad vennen get I feel like I am stuck with them on that character and I don't like that feeling.
    What is in these blasted chests?!

Quote Originally Posted by zz_tophat View Post
    I've played a lot of vennen and I have lost more games than I can count due to not drawing enough spiders despite having an overwhelming number in the opposing deck. Losing a game when you have 100 spider eggs in the enemy deck and not having them enter play is bad enough but having it happen on a fairly regular basis is what really makes me dislike playing vennen.

It feels like no other deck is punished by RNG like this, if I have dumped so many eggs in to a deck I should be rewarded for my efforts.

The ermine equip made for one of the stronger cards in my deck this is true, but a big part of it's strength was allowing more power in those situations where I was starved for spiders.

I can't say if it was overpowered or not, I don't think it was but my vennen cleric was only level 4 so I can't say how strong it can get. However It doesn't feel like not using vennen for that cleric is an option, given that I lose so much of the power of my blessings, so no matter how bad vennen get I feel like I am stuck with them on that character and I don't like that feeling.
    Spider generation is only one part of the equation. You need reliable bury effects too. You don't need to put in excessive numbers of spiders, but you do need to be able to get them reliably into play.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."