Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial Affinity

Racial Affinity

I was making a campaign deck last night and realized that almost all of the races have no racial affinity, no benefit of using troops from their own race (only Shin'hare clerics/warriors, and somewhat coyotle mages for their tornado spell get any benefit). This seems really weird to me, seems their should be more benefit from using say an elf deck with your elf champions? Just wondering what other people think.

y u so races?

There's plenty of racial synergy in overall card design in HEX, but more importantly, when you go to work do you get racial bonuses from working with people of your race? 25% faster workflow! When you print a document, copy it for each troop that shares a race with you! If you share an office with at least 3 others of your race, start with a watercooler in play!

Stirring Orration with it's equipment will cycle back to hand just for being an elf champion. Kind of nifty

Elfs don't have strong racial benefits because the elves utilize non elves as part of their theme. That is why they have so many cards with benefits to cost 5 or greater troops, but so few cost 5 or greater elves.

The humans don't, but they are intended to be generic.

You covered Shin'hare and Coyotle.
    Shin'hare also generate a free 1 cost shin'hare. 3 of the possible results have abilities that are only beneficial if your playing Shin'hare.

Orcs don't.

Dwarf Cleric starts with 2 artifacts and artifacts are part of dwarf's racial theme
    Dwarf Mage makes artifacts

The Necrotic have Shard Attuned which doesn't specifically force you to use necrotic, but using necrotic like cards benefit the most from this.

Vennen Cleric makes and gets benefits from spiders, which are part of the the Vennen's racial theme
    Vennen Mage gets benefits from spiders
    Vennen Warrior makes spiders.
    Last edited by loopholist3; 02-19-2016 at 07:51 AM.

I know some cards have synergies with races. I was thinking more along the lines that we have class affinity talents for every kind of character but no racial affinity talents. It seems like it would be more interesting if we did, would encourage racial decks a bit more, might be fun. Not making some major complaint, just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc31 View Post
    I know some cards have synergies with races. I was thinking more along the lines that we have class affinity talents for every kind of character but no racial affinity talents. It seems like it would be more interesting if we did, would encourage racial decks a bit more, might be fun. Not making some major complaint, just my thoughts.
    I think the intent was for the affinity talents to be optional (you have to spend points on them and don't get enohg points to unlock everything), but racial and race/class combo talents aren't as there's no racial talent tree.

Also I think some races make less sense than others for something like that. For example both humans and Necrotic are coalition builders, they shouldn't be encouraged to omit other races.

We will likely see more of this with keystone talents. Got to remember that the "talent tree" we are spending points in is linked to the class, not the race. There are only a few racial traits provided along with the talents.
    I agree with others comments also that the game already does a good job by making cards that have synergy with race, and equipment as well. I'm not sure why class specific talents need to force that direction as well?

I think that it'd be more useful for some of the key cards to have PvE equipment that synergize with a racial affinity instead. Don't get me wrong I love things such as the Coyotle Mage spell that damage all non elemental or non coyotle troops, but talent trees their self shouldn't be having slots for races...of course I'm fine with the race/class abilities having a racial boost though.

Racial affinity ? Well, a generic +1/+0 or cost-1 would be very bland to me. As other pointed out, there's already some kind of racial affinity with the Shin'Hare, Vennen and Dwarves. True, the Ardent might be lacking this kind of "fun" things, but I think this should be a little more thought out than just a generic bonus to cards sharing your race.

Quote Originally Posted by loopholist3 View Post
    The humans don't, but they are intended to be generic.

Orcs don't.
    There's soft affinity with orcs & humans. A lot orcs have procs & abilities that depend on other orc cards being present. Also theme decks like Darkspire & Mountain God have a number of racial cards that interact with each other.

Humans have less but there are some powerful ones like Queen Grace, Lord Benjamin, Town Crier, Hero of Adamanth. Then you have decks like inspire, pet or triumverate that you want & need to be mostly human.