Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Like Terrorantulas? Is Xarlox your wimpy cousin? Have some Terrormill.

Like Terrorantulas? Is Xarlox your wimpy cousin? Have some Terrormill.

Okay so some jerkfaces took away my beloved Dream Eagle and they stepped on its neck. So what do you do when someone breaks your toys?

Step 1: You get all pissy and complain a lot (believe me it's cathartic, totally worth it)

Step 2: You try to put a bandaid over it. Okay so some variants of this deck already ran without the Eagles, but they just weren't as consistent in doing what the deck was meant to do. Which was to make fat spiders.

Step 3:

Step 4: Profit. Nah, burn that mother down! Hell hath no fury like a woman . . . err . . . gamer scorned.

So Terrormill has been lit on fire and is now Flaming Terrormill!

Nin the Shadow

x4 Phenteo's Gift (weapon & chest equip)
    x4 Nazhk Lookout (trinket equip)
    x4 Psychic Torment

x4 Chaotic Murmur (head equip)
    x4 Chronic Madness
    x4 Fuel for the Fire

x4 Crackling Bolt
    x4 Burn (gloves!)
    x2 Purging Flames (feet)

x2 Adaptable Infusion Device
    x3 Shard of Cunning
    x3 Shard of Innovation
    x3 Shard of Hatred
    x3 Blood Shard
    x4 Sapphire Shard
    x4 Ruby Shard

First run, perfect run
    Flaming Terrormill.jpg

When I tried non-Dream Eagle variants I was putzing around with some 15-20% of my games relying on mill alone to win so the consistency took a big hit imo. And without those Terrorantulas coming out, it was more of a race than any real game plan.

So without the same consistency, I needed more time, which meant more control. That's when I saw the Psychic Torment - Purging Flames combo. Going tri-shard and replacing a bunch of stuff with burn cards gave me both control and synergy with Psychic Torment while enabling the deck to carry multiple combos within its shell. Burn and Crackling Bolt function as control spells in early game when you're vulnerable, if you draw them mid to late game, you can go straight to face to bring out Terrorantulas or speed up the milling process.

This deck snowballs pretty hard. If you get a couple Lookouts on board or a Terrorantula to go with Psychic Torment, it gets that much easier to pop more eggs. And yes, multiple Psychic Torments stack, so a single attack for 5 would bury 10 cards (or 15 or 20). Same for burn spells. The later the game the more potent they become as mill effects.

The good thing here is that you don't need everything for the deck to work. If you don't draw Phenteo's that's okay, you can mill pretty fast with Psychic Torment and within few turns a single Purging Flames can end the game. Speaking of Purging Flames, Chaotic Murmurs starts your opponent with 7 cards in the crypt, so your Purging Flames can be a board wipe as early as turn 3 if desperately needed. But think how quickly you can get 20 cards into the crypt, then think about how troop heavy most arena AI decks are. Yeah, you can pretty much kill them outright in pretty short order. And with Psychic Torment on the board, not only do you do a huge chunk of damage, you can bury the rest of their deck.

Fuel for the Fire is a pretty decent alternative here to Dream Eagle and has some really nice synergy with both Lookout and Phenteo's. Low cost card draw which also makes your opponent's deck smaller, good stuff.

I went with Adaptable Infusion Device over Immortal Tears for the utility, but in all honesty I only used it once for the draw ability and think that maybe Immortal Tears' deck thinning benefit might make it a better card for the role.

Anyway, I'm still mad about Dream Eagle, but Flaming Terrormill is a really fun deck (might even be more fun, shhhh).

Pre-nerf Terrormill post below for posterity:

So yeah, um, I'm not sure it matters what you draw cause this deck wins up, down, sideways, one hand behind its back, etc.

An "ideal" starting had would have something ridiculous like Nazhk Lookout, Chronic Madness, Phenteo's. Basically Nazhk Lookouts will easily bury 3-6 cards per turn just from you and your opponent playing stuff. You don't even swing with them, just put them out and say bye bye to opponent's deck.

Phenteo's makes 3 terrorantulas w/equip and pops back into your hand when one comes into play, which you play again which causes them to get milled some more by Nazhk Lookouts and yeah you can see where this is going.

On the chance that you got really hosed, use Dream Eagles to dig for what you need or play Extinction and let Scroll of Yazukan take care of the rest. At this point I'm pretty sure I've only needed it a couple times, so replacing it with just about anything would be fine - I just have it there because it takes a gross deck and makes it vile, I mean, if you're gonna play this, you may as well go all out.

***updated to add tweaked variants***
    Icepick
    4 x Phenteo's Gift (Weaponand Chest equip)
    4 x Chronic Madness
    4 x Arcane Focus

4 x Nazhk Lookout
    4 x Lunacy (Trinket equip)
    2 x Cracking Wit

4 x Azurefate (flight + mill)
    4 x Crackling Rot (Boots equip)
    4 x Chaotic Murmurs (Head equip)

4 x Morphology (gloves)

9 x Blood Shard
    9 x Sapphire Shard
    4 x Shard of Cunning
    Creature
    4 Nazhk Lookout (2) S[Trinket Equip]
    4 Exarch of the Egg (2) B
    4 Runeweb Infiltrator (2) S [Boots Equip]
    1 Phenteo (3) BB
    1 Zilith (4) BS

4 Phenteo's Gift (1) B [Weapon & Chest Equip]
    4 Lunacy (2) S
    4 Chaotic Murmur (3) S [Head Equip]
    4 Morphology (2) [Gloves Equip]
    2 Crackling Rot (3) B
    3 Extinction (4) BB

2 Scroll of Yazukan (2)
    1 Fifth Book (3)

9 Blood Shard
    9 Sapphire Shard
    3 Shard of Cunning
    1 Zin'xith Silk
    nickon

9 Blood Shard
    9 Sapphire Shard
    4 Shard of Cunning silk is too unreliable in this list

4 Phenteo's Gift (Weapon equip)
    3 Azurefate Sorceress (Quick + Mill gem) more utility, Azurefate out usually means decking your opponent
    4 Nazhk Lookout
    4 Chaotic Murmurs (Head equip)
    4 Chronic Madness
    4 Lunacy
    3 Call the graves (Trinket equip)
    4 Arcane focus
    4 Crackling Wit
    4 Dream Eagle (Gloves equip)
    nicosharp

x4 Phenteo's Gift (weapon & chest equip)
    x4 Nazhk Lookout
    x3 Mimeobot

x4 Chaotic Murmur (head equip)
    x4 Lunacy
    x4 Chronic Madness
    x4 Arcane Focus

x4 Mimic (feet)
    x3 Call the Grave (trinket)

x4 Dream Eagle (gloves equip)

x4 Shard of Cunning
    x9 Blood Shard
    x9 Sapphire Shard
    Last edited by Quantius; 04-08-2016 at 05:57 AM. Reason: DREAM EAGLE GOT DED!

This looks awesome. I am definitely going to farm the campaign for 3 more phenteos and nazhk to give this a whirl. I unfortunately don't have Chronic Madness and am not willing to pay the needed price for them, but I can think of some OK replacements (Fifth Book, Dementia Daisies). It'll slow it down I'm sure, but I imagine it will still be very fun.

Still missing a few pieces but this is a fun deck. Need to make some more vennen alts.

-- update --

Was just missing a scroll and chronic - subbed in 2 books ... went perfect first run. Was terribly fun.
    Last edited by ghulzen; 02-20-2016 at 09:45 PM.

It's powerful, and it's fun, but you are vastly exaggerating how effective it is, and to suggest that your starting hand doesn't matter is laughable. If you don't get an early Phenteo's, you're basically just running a regular mill deck with no other defenses. When it works, it does work really well, but it doesn't work all of the time.
    I'd drop the vampires kiss entirely. Not sure what I'd replace it with yet - I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
    Anyway yeah, it's a lot of fun when it works and it's definitely a good start. Needs some tweaking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepick View Post
    It's powerful, and it's fun, but you are vastly exaggerating how effective it is, and to suggest that your starting hand doesn't matter is laughable. If you don't get an early Phenteo's, you're basically just running a regular mill deck with no other defenses. When it works, it does work really well, but it doesn't work all of the time.
    I'd drop the vampires kiss entirely. Not sure what I'd replace it with yet - I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
    Anyway yeah, it's a lot of fun when it works and it's definitely a good start. Needs some tweaking though.
    I mean, sure I was being a bit hyperbolic for added effect, it's not invincible, but it is threat dense and highly resilient. It'll be interesting to see what tweaks happen, cause it is pretty fun.

Kind of expensive, if you check out AH prices for extinction and chronic madness...

Heh, this deck is dirty. Thanks for the list.

I did not go perfect, in fact I lost two times. One for shard screw and one for Inferno challenge. Makes me mad when it only hits me four turns in a row. That said, this deck is not super consistent, and like stated previously, it is very reliant on Phenteo's Gifts. But when you get a good starting hand and get the engine going, it is one of the most powerful decks out there for sure. But like also stated earlier, when you don't get the early Gift, you might be in trouble. Maybe needs more win conditions.

I encountered Xarlox as my first boss, with a challenge to boot, and I made him cry, which was awesome. If I can manage the technical side, I will post some screenshots after this post.

This deck is pretty fast and straightforward though, and it immediately became one of my favorite Arena grind decks. Very fun and unfair deck to play.

This felt so f**ing good

[IMG][/IMG]

Four Terrorantulas in the chain, wooot!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ertzi; 02-21-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Used a wrong, possibly copyrighted term, shame on me.

Ill have to say this deck is really, really fun and strong

I used crackling rot which can use the last equipment slot and give you a charge. I also only use 2-3 scrolls since they are unique and fill in with Phenteos (and I was to lazy to farm the last Lookout though they are really good, so I only ran 3).

I also noticed a little bit of consistency issue with handling aggressive opponents when you only draw mill cards. Slower oppoenents I can ususally choose to either bury or Terrorantula to death. Maybe it would be possible to work in a few Arcane Foci...Focuses(?) or Time Ripples to fix the consistency, but otherwise a fun and strong deck indeed!

btw, the order you play things matter a great deal.
    IGN: Fensale

So I tried a couple variants, I did one run -4 dream eagles / -4 Vampiric Kiss and replaced them with x4 Necrophage Sensei (gloves) and x4 Shamed Gladiator (boots). The necrophage was pretty strong I'll admit, the gladiator was pretty meh. My run ended with 2 losses, one of which was my fault cause I was trying to play the worst hands possible, I kept 5 resources, Scroll of Yazukan, Chaotic Murmurs against Sniper of Gawain. Ended up losing, though I still was probably 1-2 turns away from the win. Second loss was against Paladin of Nagaan who poked me for enough and then used champ power to finish me in one turn (not Turn 1, but in a single turn) - had the extinction in hand too. Oh well.

I went back to Dream Eagles, and swapped out Gladiators for Saarthu (w boots) and he single handedly won 3 games for me - perfect run as well. Not really sold on the dragon though, most of the time it does nothing.