Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PvE still missing some MMO aspects - Here's an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    I agree with this assessment.

Though, I've never seen a implementation of the general concept that I considered good. The main problem tends to be that one faction comes to dominate and positive feedback (both the buffs helping them level/collect loot, and new players who're on the fence choosing the faction that gets the buff right now) tends to keep them there. The case where that doesn't happen is when the buffs are insufficient to keep veteren players interested in the content and the whole thing largely gets ignored and the decay timer dominates the transition.
    The idea of taxation/upkeep then becomes a big portion of the castle maintenance system. Also with more than 1 adventure zone you can begin to implement heavier upkeep to maintain the Castle and keep it under your control. At some point you begin to make decisions strategically as a faction. Which zones do we want under our control? Do we grab Adventure Zone 1 to help new players or only focus on the latest Adventure Zone with all the new content and leave the others to the other faction so we have a low maintenance in that zone? Do we organize "raids" on castles where a large number of players blitz a keep at a secret time and day?

The community in Hex is great and one of the things we should leverage more. Building something that allows us to interact together for a common cause is a great next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    If you think Hex is or ever will be a MMO, you are ignorant of what a MMO is or what features Hex has promised. Because at no point has Hex promised MMO features. Marketing aside. Not that I blame Hex, I'd do it to. Gullible people's money is still money I can use to build my dream project.
    Literally the first thing you see when you download Hex is that it's supposed to be an MMOTCG (it's in the patcher). You can't really blame someone who wants an MMOTCG to have... you know, MMO features.

MMO is just simply a Massive Multiplayer Online... now lets examine it. Is this game Massive? Yes, is it multiplayer? Yes, is it online? Absolutely..

All the Features that are missing to people dont come from the MMO aspect of an MMORPG, they all happen from the RPG part of the term. this is a TCG not an RPG. There will never be certain features you can get in an MMORPG. As soon as people stop expecting a WoW type aspect then maybe we can all move on from this.

I said originally when this was labelled as an MMO that people were going to get the wrong idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ariathor View Post
    Literally the first thing you see when you download Hex is that it's supposed to be an MMOTCG (it's in the patcher). You can't really blame someone who wants an MMOTCG to have... you know, MMO features.
    You can when they use their experience from other mmo's or their personal opinion on what constitutes a mmo.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    MMO is just simply a Massive Multiplayer Online... now lets examine it. Is this game Massive? Yes, is it multiplayer? Yes, is it online? Absolutely..

All the Features that are missing to people dont come from the MMO aspect of an MMORPG, they all happen from the RPG part of the term. this is a TCG not an RPG. There will never be certain features you can get in an MMORPG. As soon as people stop expecting a WoW type aspect then maybe we can all move on from this.

There are certain features that are inhearnt to a tr

I said originally when this was labelled as an MMO that people were going to get the wrong idea
    The Term MMO has grown beyond its acronym. By your definition Hearthstone, StarCraft, WarCraft, League of Legends, Zombies Mode in CoD are all MMOs.

There are certain features that I know are beyond the scope of a traditional MMO. Custom Character Creation, Full sized 3D avatars, and encounters with other players in the open world are all examples. These items would add little to no value to the game itself while being a very large hurdle to jump through. Giving something to others to fight for as a team though would add a great deal immersion and start giving the sense that my actions are part of a larger world.

Quote Originally Posted by Crota View Post
    The Term MMO has grown beyond its acronym. By your definition Hearthstone, StarCraft, WarCraft, League of Legends, Zombies Mode in CoD are all MMOs.
    In your mind maybe it has but realistically it is Simply a game that allows your to create a Character, which by the way the last time i checked Hex does do, and interact with other players in the game. Hey look at that 2 for 2 =)

I don't see how a reduction view that turns nearly anything connected to the internet into a MMO adds anything to conversation.

Tazelbain I was referring to Ariathor's comment about wanting MMO features when they see MMOTCG. I was just pointing out MMO features are in the game

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post

Actually no hex is not "massively multiplayer"

"massively multiplayer" was a term that distinguished "multiplayer" games where you would have a small number (like 2 to 4) of players playing in a given instance of the game at a time from the early MMORPGs where you were potentially interacting with hundreds of players in the same game world instance. The key thing was that you could walk into town and see a ton of other players going about their business then bring like a dozen of them along and fight the same boss or go out on your own and end up walking through the aftermath of some guild's big raid through the area. That's what distinguished "massively multiplayer" from something like Starcraft which was "multiplayer" but every game is it's own isolated world with only a small number of players.

In hex PvP is the only multiplayer content at this time and the games are 1 on 1. Large tournaments and gauntlet flirt with the idea of being MMO territory but really the actual game is still always 1 on 1 which is just "multiplayer".

Now, what most people mean when they say "MMO" today is "the formula that made WoW a huge success" which can be massaged into a lot of meanings depending on what you think the important details are/were and what point of WoW's lifespan you're referring to.

To be fair, not even WoW can live up to the ideal of "Massively Multiplayer" these days.