Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PvE still missing some MMO aspects - Here's an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Warrender View Post
    To be fair, not even WoW can live up to the ideal of "Massively Multiplayer" these days.
    How so? I stopped playing WoW quite a few years ago, but I'm curious. What's changed in this regard?

I wouldn't really call this a multiplayer game ..yet

The PVE campaign to date was mostly about getting the single-player system up and running which was clearly a massive undertaking of its own. They will proceed to add more features but just because they decided it was marketing-time to remove the "beta" doesn't mean they've delivered on their plans.
    Currently Most Wanted HEX development: AH overhaul

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psee8e7213.png

Our CzE Recruitment Thread: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24252

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
    How so? I stopped playing WoW quite a few years ago, but I'm curious. What's changed in this regard?
    Everyone's holed up in their own private Garrisons and only venture out when they need to which suited me fine when I went back a few months ago as I tend to play my MMO's as single-player experiences these days anyways.

Even though I enjoy my single player experience in the MMOs I play, it was always fun to work with your fellow gamer to accomplish some goal together. As many new players have told me, the game can feel very lonely at times. In a game where you must be online to play, it seems silly not to incorporate more communal aspects to the game. Without arguing what is or is not a MMO game, lets focus on features that you would like to see. I would love to "Have fun Storming the Castle" but if it isn't your cup of tea, then you don't need to participate. The rewards should never feel so large that you "have to" participate but substantial enough for you to put in that effort and work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrender View Post
    To be fair, not even WoW can live up to the ideal of "Massively Multiplayer" these days.
    Well yes. As MMORPGs tried to appeal to larger audiences they've moved away from the sanboxy roots and tended towards more controlled content that is closer to a multiplayer game (5 man dungeon, 20 man raids, all instanced). That's a lot of what I mean when I said "MMO" means "Like WoW" in common usage.

WoW was and to a degree still is massively maultiplayer (there are places where you can run into arbitrarily large numbers of other players). Though copying a subset of their gameplay will often not result in a massively multiplayer experience as say, an instanced raid is really more multiplayer than massively multiplayer unless you implement it in a very specific way to make the raid intersect with the broader shared world.

What would make Hex an MMO would be if you could run into other players in the adventure zone ant team up to beat encounters. But that would scale poorly with TCG mechanics. Which is a lot of why I think in spite of mislabeling it the dev's have the right idea with where they're going with raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    *snip*(there are places where you can run into arbitrarily large numbers of other players)*snip*
    This is actually no longer accurate with their cloud zoning impementation you can't be more than i think 80 people in a area and 200 or so in a city last time i checked.

Edit
    This is however possible to override should you contact a GM in plenty of time with a "good" reasoning like a memorial service for a player that passed or things like that.
    Last edited by wolzarg; 02-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crota View Post
    Even though I enjoy my single player experience in the MMOs I play, it was always fun to work with your fellow gamer to accomplish some goal together. As many new players have told me, the game can feel very lonely at times. In a game where you must be online to play, it seems silly not to incorporate more communal aspects to the game. Without arguing what is or is not a MMO game, lets focus on features that you would like to see. I would love to "Have fun Storming the Castle" but if it isn't your cup of tea, then you don't need to participate. The rewards should never feel so large that you "have to" participate but substantial enough for you to put in that effort and work together.
    I'd say raids are the big one that will make hex feel more social. Teaming up with two other players to defeat a raid boss that may eventually be played by another player is definitely social, even though it's just normal multiplayer not "massively multiplayer".

Raids have been planned since the KS but aren't finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    This is actually no longer accurate with their cloud zoning impementation you can't be more than i think 80 people in a area and 200 or so in a city last time i checked.

Edit
    This is however possible to override should you contact a GM in plenty of time with a "good" reasoning like a memorial service for a player that passed or things like that.

But anyone on the server could be among those 80. And while my usage of "arbitrarily large" was a bit sloppy the intent was to communicate "enough to give the impression that there is no limit" rather than there actually being no limit.

And either way. the issue at hand (whether Hex is or should be an "MMO", marketing aside) is not really affected by the need other MMO's have to load balance instances, as there's no part of the game hex world where your champion can interact with another player's champion let alone 79 of them. And even with planned co-op or competitive content we're talking about 3-4 players not dozens of them because TCGs in general and hex in particular won't scale well with number of players so it needs to be kept to a smallish cap for playability.

While I would have loved for Hex to be more MMO like (for me the dream was a game like Shandalar, but with multiple people walking around the same world). I think it will be fine once we get raids and some kind of 2v2, 3v3 pvp modes. They can have both 2 person and 3 person raids. And then maybe an arena location on the map where you can play team pvp for rankings. those 2 things along with a full guild system, with chat, would make it feel like a multiplayer game to me.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc31 View Post
    While I would have loved for Hex to be more MMO like (for me the dream was a game like Shandalar, but with multiple people walking around the same world). I think it will be fine once we get raids and some kind of 2v2, 3v3 pvp modes. They can have both 2 person and 3 person raids. And then maybe an arena location on the map where you can play team pvp for rankings. those 2 things along with a full guild system, with chat, would make it feel like a multiplayer game to me.
    I don't even think I'm being pessimistic when i say that dream is at least 2 years out.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.