Thread: Best Campaign Chars = Speedy and then board clear

Best Campaign Chars = Speedy and then board clear

After messing around in campaign for a while, it feels like the faster race/class combos have the advantage because some of the bosses just get brutal if you let them get their deck/ability mechanics active. So its easier to just kill them quick.

That would make stuff like elf/warrior (shard power generators) and mages (card generators) the best at that?

What race/class combos do you find best for speed decks?

Cleric just seems awfully slow after playing elf/warrior with warriors in the deck. Or am i missing something?

Secondly it seems like its best to stick to shards that have mass board clear or that will buff multiple minions at the same time resulting in the same effect. Am I right with that?

Keep in mind I am only talking PVE here.

I find that elf warrior can get big threats out early when taking the start with 2 charges talent

From a speed perspective on clearing dungeons, my dwarf cleric slaughtergear deck http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=54974 and the elf war titania's / ramp deck http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=51280 are a lot quicker compared to the other decks I use on the other chars.
    On the other hand, if you get a terrible draw you can more or less start the match over, since you barely manage to recover from it sadly. Doesn't happen to often, but sometimes it does.
    Another deck that's sorta decent speed wise is the necro cleric budget deck http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=53560 Thanks to the early Ethereal Healer and all that healing going on, you can live through nearly every encounter with ease, so taking 1-3 turns more won't hurt.

So to sum it up: The most important part is the shard grid based on your class and after that the charge power/talents to give it a tiny edge. Once the shard restrictions are lifted with max lvl chars it will probably be most the time only deck dependent and less class dependent, unless there will be some insane talents coming.

it reale depends. NO denial if u have slaughterears they are on top.
    Sly huntress human warior is prety fast but not realy good in devonshire, but super good for goliath.
    Clerics are indeed slow. Unless specific condtitonins but in most ccases they are slow.
    Orc mage is super agrresive with his rage 2 spell
    Proud Champion tier backer

As someone who only plays slow decks, I can say this assessment is slightly off course. The boss fights actually get easier as time goes on and you lock down control of the board. The hardest part of every fight is the beginning when you have no combos available and no responses along with barely any resources to do something with. But once the early game combos and late game legendaries start popping out, the boss is screwed. A solid deck has a variety of early game rush, midgame control, and late game domination available to it.

Dwarf Cleric and Necrotic Warrior are my two favorites so far.

Necrotic can put out so much lifedrain and keyword spam with enormous growth that almost every fight is easy mode. Warrior allows for easy spot removal of dangerous foes hanging out in the rear that refuse to block your 12/12 monsters. Early game isn't hard at all when you can just ignore 27 health worth of damage and make it up later, to the point that not a single troop in my deck cost less than 3 resources. Even the rush bosses that kill you fast were taken down with the same tactics, just different mulligans for key cards in hand. Killipede went down to swiftstrike steadfast lifedrain spam and I was toxified the whole time AND discarding cards like crazy. You don't need the whole hand to win, just a few powerful buffed up guys. By the time the Angel of Dawn, Vampire King, and Eternal Guardians were hitting the table.... Killipede had no hope. Ozawa was the MVP in many dungeons for being the best card for your opening hand, plus two health every single turn. Between Kiss of Princess, Princess Victoria, Ethereal Healer, and Angel of Dawn, it was very doable to get essential early characters on the field turn 1. I even nearly took out Wiktor on the first try facing him for the first time by Killing the elemental and dropping early swiftstrike necrotics with lifedrain support. Gemsoul Feeder with equipment is busted in any shift deck, infinite growth potential for the rest of your lineup.

Dwarves love artifacts and their synergy is about as quick as Elf ramp with the right combos. Clerics meanwhile begin play with up to two artifacts and a constant, including the most important Steadfast one. Not needing to tap to attack in a deck that synergizes around tapping EVERYTHING to play free stuff and cool effects? WEE! Add to that the dwarf armor 1 and you can effectively tank your way through almost any fight. Killipede was a joke and I beat the Wormoid Queen with 60 gnomes in the deck and using nothing but Adaptatron. The combo potential of Glendower and Mimic with Pterobots and Geniuses let you play your whole artifact deck for free. Eternal Guardian saved the day when the opponent had a time clock on the fight and giant Adaptatron/Colossus spam were good for the late game. Even invincible walls of death weren't an issue when Eldon hits the field and makes your scariest things fly and draw cards for you. Several combos allow me to play my entire deck in one turn. As long as the right stuff is in it there's nothing you can't overcome.

So in both cases, tanky survival and swift early game board presence followed up by disastrously efficient comboing was the key element of winning. Not speedy kills. Having a toolkit deck with each card having multiple uses and internal combos can help in having just the right card in your deck to clear every encounter. That's not to say that each card has to have multiple effects, but that I can use the Gemsoul Feeder to give lifedrain to a key troop OR use it to buff my entire field with Deepgaze Champion in play. The number of card interactions is key. It's also way more fun that way! Invincibility always is.
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 02-25-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Losse View Post
    Cleric just seems awfully slow after playing elf/warrior with warriors in the deck. Or am i missing something?
    Elf Warrior probably feels faster than it really is because it's so flashy. A turn 2 ashwood colossus is certainly speedy and it is a real attention getter, but you don't actually win on turn 2. Similarly dropping warriors and ramping into more warriors is fast, but other classes can probably match the speed by buffing a smaller number of troops.

That said, elf warrior is probably in the top tier for speedy decks. It can build any ruby rush deck you might consider as long as it doesn't rely on uncommons too much, and it has a very reliable ramp effect that can only make you faster (especially if you run warriors).

I think clerics can be speedy. But they don't get much speed help from the class (well dwarfs can get a turn 1 warbot out of the blessing rod but otherwise...), it'll all be in the deck build, and the class really wants to be more control/combo than agro.

As to speed being the best strategy. That's kind of a totalogy. The fastest deck is the one that wins fastest, and there's pretty much never a benefit to doing the same thing but slower. The intersting question is: are there encounters where control or combo decks are faster than aggro/burn decks? And I think there are a couple that flirt with that now, and will probably be more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    As to speed being the best strategy. That's kind of a totalogy. The fastest deck is the one that wins fastest, and there's pretty much never a benefit to doing the same thing but slower.
    Slow and steady wins the race in a dungeon imo. Speedy strategies may or may not pull off their kill thanks to RNG and you're looking at a loss in a place where continues are few. There's a benefit to doing things slower if it means raising your chances of success!

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race in a dungeon imo. Speedy strategies may or may not pull off their kill thanks to RNG and you're looking at a loss in a place where continues are few. There's a benefit to doing things slower if it means raising your chances of success!
    There is currently no dungeon hard enough for this to be true. Anything before Devonshire is a joke and can be cleared with any reasonably built deck. Devonshire can be trivialized with many low casting cost cards - deathless guardian, adaptatron, hunger of the mnt god, slaughtergears, etc.

Edit: Most recently I've been running it with a mono-blood orc cleric deck. Hunger of the Mnt God (wpn equip) or Bloodsoaked Brawler (gloves equip) combined with either Adaptatron (chest equip) or Blood Aura (helmet equip). Done; every fight wrecked with two or three resources.
    Last edited by Angmar; 02-25-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Well, that's sort of what I was saying about speed being better being a tautology. The moral of the tortoise and the hare shouldn't be 'slow and steady wins the race' but rather 'taking longer than you need to looses the race'.

If you aren't winning you aren't winning fast. The deck that reliably wins in the fewest turns is the most efficient. That might not be an agro deck.

Thanks for all the input.