Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The idea that the number one problem is lack of new sets is only really a problem to veteran players, to new players new sets doesn't help at all (and may even hurt since now they even have more sets to have to catch up with us).

I think the number one problem is a lack of a casual (newbie friendly) PVP scene. We need a ladder that costs nothing or only a relatively small amount of gold to enter. We also need officially ran pauper and other cheap style tournaments, to give people a place to start. Right now this game (PVP side) is great for people trying to make money or go infinite but terrible for casual players. The community has done a great job trying to help with this but at some point Hex needs to step up and take on these things them selves. Because most of the times casual players are not going to be reading the forums looking for independently ran tournaments, Hex needs to put them in the game and show it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc31 View Post
    The idea that the number one problem is lack of new sets is only really a problem to veteran players, to new players new sets doesn't help at all (and may even hurt since now they even have more sets to have to catch up with us).

I think the number one problem is a lack of a casual (newbie friendly) PVP scene. We need a ladder that costs nothing or only a relatively small amount of gold to enter. We also need officially ran pauper and other cheap style tournaments, to give people a place to start. Right now this game (PVP side) is great for people trying to make money or go infinite but terrible for casual players. The community has done a great job trying to help with this but at some point Hex needs to step up and take on these things them selves. Because most of the times casual players are not going to be reading the forums looking for independently ran tournaments, Hex needs to put them in the game and show it to them.
    That's very true and probably the number one issue that keeps new players from playing more.
    Personally I love the highly competitive nature of the Hex PVP, but that's not what casual/new players are looking for. Each and every of those (cheap) CCGs out there has an easy and inexpensive way for new players to casually play some PVP and earn something from it. I'm not proposing giving out great stuff for free here, but some small incentives and some form of ladder are really important for the future growth of Hex.

Yes, newbie PvP is the issue. Building the player-base means significantly less if there is no functional path to flip the PP-curious into PvPers. If I wasn't already past it, there is no way I would be willing to climb over this barrier.

Competitive PvP might be exactly what new players are looking for, but they will never find out because Hex PvP pool only has a deep-end.
    Last edited by Tazelbain; 02-29-2016 at 12:48 PM.

An in-client ladder like there is in Hearthstone would be awful, both for the game itself and the attendance of other (actual) tournaments... If people want to play casual PVP they have the 5shards weekly series, the Rock league and other community tournaments. Of course some of them are not in client, which would I do agree, considerably boost their attendances.
    It can only be a matter of time for Hex to implement something like a pauper/rock format in client, since this has shown to be quite popular in other TCGs...

But this would not solve any of the (more concerning) issues I've mentioned previously (namely : lack of incentives to play competitive PVP and overall emptiness in terms of players).

Well, I guess we'll have to wait until next weekend to -hopefully- know more on what is planned to solve those issues... I would have loved more comments in the meantime though, just to make me feel that more than a few of us actually care about the future of the game.
    Last edited by Wuggalix; 03-01-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Well a ladder is happening, but we have zero detail about it. So it's hard to speculate.

As far as progression in constructed, right now someone is spending the price for first-tier console game to build a deck just to try competitive. If you are not sold on hex, it's hard justify that over the console game. Having a low-powered, lower-cost(but still pay), still very competitive format could drop barrier to the cheep steam game price point. Its much more likely place were undecided players will be to put money down and get hooked into PvP.

Thanks to a review from IGN Spain yesterday, HEX received its well-deserved metascore of 89:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hex-shards-of-fate

With this score, it is the Top 1 (!) of recently released games, one point more than XCOM 2:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...s/pc/metascore

Well deserversed? LEts be honest game is deep in mechanics , fantastic art. But has so many problems right now not sure its the right score.
    Proud Champion tier backer

Here is a post I've made in the general discussion part of the forum, but I would like to be here as well, as it is the continuity of this thread... And I think should reach the developers.

-----------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I've already talked a decent bit about the PVP ladder and explained why it should be implemented soon here : The link

While the threads did not get the amount of inputs I was expecting (mostly because it has been moved to a more obscure zone where fewer players go), I do want to point out again how crucial it is to have a ranking system as well as explain how (IMO) it should be done.

First of all, no matter what people think about the other games, when creating something new we have to think about what has already been done, and how good/effective was what has already been put into practice elsewhere.
    In order to make it clear, I'm gonna talk mostly about MTGO, since a HS-like ladder is both awful and not suitable at all to a game like Hex.

At some point, there was a thing called "player of the year" race. Basically people were awarded points for doing great in tournaments and those points were accumulated all year long, and easily check-able because there was a leaderboard on the main website... This way everyone was able to see who was the player who earned the most points (ie: the one who've won the most tournaments pretty much)... And at the end of the year there was an invite only tournament (online) with large prizes for the topX of each constructed and limited players.

To make it simple, that's what we need here because :
    - It gives an actual incentive for people to play tournaments because of the points earned (and more so, scheduled tournaments, more on that later)
    - It rewards people for playing more and more of Hex (paid tournaments to be more specific)
    - It creates an actual competitive scene (which is not the case at the moment, see link) which will drain players from other games.
    - It rewards grinders who plays a lot of tournaments.

Obviously as I mentioned on the link, a year long race would not suit a game like Hex (for now at least) so something reset every 3-4 months would do great.... And obviously a tournament (online, that's cheaper for Hex) at the end of each season for let's say the top20 players in limited and the top 20 players in constructed would be the close the season and create a sense of fame for several (as well as high prizes of course).

I really insist on the fact that the prizes at the end have to be quite high... They don't have to be 100k$, especially if it's run 4 times per year, but they have to be decently high : AAs & Sleeves of course because they are free for Hex, and cash because cash is shiny... If there are some legal issues with cash - which is very possible - then an invitation to the next big tournament (like the invitational) could keep the "shininess" of the tournament.
    But the appeal of that system would not (only) be prizes, fame would be another very nice thing that people would be willing to play more events in order to get it (in order to be ranked higher in the leaderboard).

Anyway, on to the system.

I'm looking for something like :

LIMITED
    - Competitive drafts and Casual drafts : 1 point for winner
    - Scheduled Sealed : 3 points for 4-0 and 1 point for 3-1
    - Sealed Gauntlets : 1 (or 2) point(s) for 5 wins

CONSTRUCTED
    - Scheduled Constructed : 3 points for 4-0 and 1 point for 3-1
    - Constructed Gauntlets : 1 (or 2) point(s) for 5 wins

VIP
    - Same amount of points than their respective regular counterparts

5 SHARDS
    - It's hard to give points to a 7 or 8 rounds of single elimination event... Would have been more fair if it was swiss.
    - But if we assume the (awful) single elimination is kept, then 3 points for winner of the weekly, 2 for second, and 1 point for the 3rd and 4th.
    - As for monthly tournaments, I would say the same should be kept (3/2/1-1).
    - There might be an argument that those tournaments should be kept on the casual side and awarded no points at all. I would not mind at all, it would also make sense that the points can only be earned in paid tournaments (especially since the entry fee is really low here).

OFF CLIENT TOURNAMENTS
    - No points awarded. Mostly because it would be too annoying for Hex to manually gives points to those that would earn them in off client tournaments.

=> Regarding the leaderboard, it HAS to be put on the official website for everybody to watch, that's the main point of a leaderboard, making people talk about it and dream about it.
    => I think that 3 leaderboard should be created. One for constructed, one for limited, and one with both of them mixed... It would therefore gives a chance to qualify for every people. Some prefer limited, some prefer constructed, but this way they would be able to see how they compare versus other players in their favourite format.

As a side note : later on, when guild will be implemented, I'm sure everybody will love to see the name of the guilds next to the players names on the leader board.

ELO SYSTEM :
    Just to make it clear, I would not mind an ELO system to be put in place, but this should not be the base system to gives entry for tournaments, or prizes etc... This should remain something cool that players can compare (and brag about) but it should not have any value. I've seen way too many times players refusing to enter tournaments because they were afraid of loosing points while they have a high ELO rating... And I did it myself several times back in the day (when ELO ratings used to qualify for large MTG tournaments).
    This ELO system is cool, but it should not be given any "monetary" value, because if it is the case, instead of dragging more people to tournaments, it will be an actual scarecrow.
    And I'm certainly not kidding.
    => What the game need is NOT one guy who played a draft, won it and then stopped playing for 3 months to keep that 100% win rate. It is NOT the top10 players to stop playing to keep their ELO rate high enough. What the game need is more people that play Hex, more people that play tournaments, and if possible, paid tournaments.

To conclude, I'm a bit concerned by the very vague words Cory has given during the Invitational regarding all of this... Mostly because I have felt that there is still a long wait before any implementation on that regard... But I'm confident in the fact that it will, just not sure when.
    Still I was expecting an announcement regarding the competitive PVP future and we've had nothing of the like... but anyway, here is my contribution and feel free to comment or send me a message so that we discuss it.
    Last edited by Wuggalix; 03-07-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuggalix View Post
    While the threads did not get the amount of inputs I was expecting (mostly because it has been moved to a more obscure zone where fewer players go),
    I am maybe going to comment on this in the other thread. But this issue deserves repeated and I am glad you did it. It is a minor thing but you are right. Moving the thread to this subforum burried the topic for a big portion of the player base. The developers saw it but a big part of such a thread is to have a community discussion. It's not just about giving feedback to the developers.
    Last edited by Metronomy; 03-07-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Well to be honest, I'm more interested in the developers (and everyone from Hex) reading it, than it being the most popular topic in the community.

I would have still expected more contributions from other players, but there's indeed fewer visitors here so it is how it is... I'd say whatever as long as the people that are taking decisions take that into consideration (they might or might not agree with what I'm saying, or implement some stuff but not everything, that's up to them, but at least I've said what I thought was important).

It is not my business, just one I care about.
    But yeah, I think it's fine that I posted the previous message both here for the developers, and elsewhere for the community to debate.

Thanks for the support mate, I'm sure we're on the same line on many topics.