Thread: Gem of Subterfuge vs. Destruction effects order

Hybrid View

Gem of Subterfuge vs. Destruction effects order

So this is probably working as intended, but it also shuts off a fun combo...

The Major Gem of Subterfuge reads: Prime Sapphire of Subterfuge: When this troop enters play, each opposing champion buries cards from the top of their deck equal to this troop's combined Attack and Defense.

The Major Gem of Destruction reads: Prime Ruby of Destruction: When this troop enters play, it deals damage equal to its Attack to target opposing champion

I was experimenting with Wild/Sapphire mill, and wanted to use the Azurefate sorceress and Arborean Rootfather for a double up mill combo, Azurefate with Subterfuge, Rootfather with Empowerment. Normally, if you're running the Rootfather + Empowerment + Destruction combo (through Titania's Majesty in PvE or with Azurefate in a tri-shard deck), you can set the order of effects, allowing Rootfather to pump himself up with Empowerment and then ping the opposing champion for 16 damage. So I figured, why not use the same idea with Subterfuge, and bury a quick 32 cards at once?

Sadly, there's no option to set the order the effects go off in. The bury effect always happens, followed by the Empowerment effect, so 16 cards buried instead of 32. Now the language of the gems probably explains this, in that for Subterfuge it's "each opposing champion" (emphasis mine), while with Destruction it's "target opposing champion," so there's no choice involved, but considering that in Hex the two are currently identical, why can't we set the order of effects? And, honestly, even if they weren't identical, it seems like we should be able to control the order of effects, no?

If this is something that's arisen before and I didn't notice, I apologize, but I figured I'd inquire about it. Is this working as intended? Bug?

You only get to order them if they go on the chain. Abilities that don't target don't use the chain, so no chance to order. I try to keep a bit of hope alive that they'll eventually revisit what does and doesn't go on the chain, but it's slowly dying.

The game was originally set up for literally everything to throw up into the chain but they found it was a lot of clicking so they took the effects that dont require targets and such to not go into the chain. After all do we really need to see and click ok for every effect that happens? Sure you lose a slight amount of control but its better than the alternative.
    In Game Name: Halko

Quote Originally Posted by MasterN64 View Post
    The game was originally set up for literally everything to throw up into the chain but they found it was a lot of clicking so they took the effects that dont require targets and such to not go into the chain. After all do we really need to see and click ok for every effect that happens? Sure you lose a slight amount of control but its better than the alternative.
    I was here for that, I just don't see the 'pass priority' button as an enemy. Instead it's the friend that tells me it's still my turn to make a choice, I still have options.

Then again I never felt it played to slow, and I've apparently never caught the it must be instant gratification bug. Another example, is when I see people complaining about queue times. To be clear I hate the fact that it indicates there aren't as many players actively playing as there could be, but waiting 20-40 minutes for a queue to fire seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Basically, no I find the alternative far better, but it certainly hasn't stopped me from playing :-}

I like the whole no targets no clicking but i think what has a target should be revisited in the future. Which is to say the current cards are what they are but cards like bloatcap and the gem of subterfuge should target just so they do go on the stack.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.