Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghouls N Ghosts - a Devonshire farm deck for Shin'Hare

Sensei of the Wounded Petal

Ghouls N Ghosts - a Devonshire farm deck for Shin'Hare

This deck works best with a shin'hare cleric, due to their steadfast and extra healing chances, but will work fine with a mage or warrior as well.

I haven't actually lost any fights with this deck in 6 devonshire clears - and even if you do lose a particular fight, as a shin'hare cleric you have 6 dungeon lives anyway, so your chance of completely wiping is miniscule.

24 Blood Shard
    2 Minion of Yazukan
    4 Raving Ghoul ( Raver's Cleaver )
    4 Rotting Away ( Brittle Bone Guard )
    3 Determined Zombie ( Call of the Flesh Eaters )
    3 Ethereal Healer ( Ethereal Coated Boots )
    3 Blood Aura ( Lifetaker Hood )
    3 Rotting Knight ( Minor Blood Orb of Deception )
    4 Decaying Giant ( Decaying Hand )
    2 Voracious Vultures
    -----
    2 Extinction
    1 Izydor
    2 Vampire Princess
    1 Vampire King
    1 Stalker of Marbaras
    1 Zombie Plague

Above the line are core deck components, below the line can be adjusted to personal taste and/or collection. None of them are really needed, but synergise well with the deck in general, and devonshire in particular. Some cheap alternatives include call the grave, wailing banshees, horrific poltergesits, rotting buffalos and zombie vultures. You can also throw in the usual suspects like adaptatron and hunger of the mountain god, but really, not only are they unsuited thematically, they are totally unneeded.

The general idea with the deck is card recursion.

Ghouls ability to come back into your hand applies to your OPPONENT'S plays as well as yours. Given Devonshire is almost all zombies, your enemies will happily send them back you constantly.

Rotting Away is the gift that keeps on giving - almost always lethal to the more dangerous threats in devonshire ( like rot touch ghoul, mindpyre revenant, burning and sweltering zombie etc ) and returns to hand when you play a zombie.

Diamond ethereal healers with no diamond shards ? With 3 healers you have a 15% chance of one of them coming into play whenever you gain life, which you do when you play a shard, play a blessing or attack with one of your life drain troops. They also have a high chance of starting in play when the match starts. This also means you can treat them much the same as raving ghouls - always attack, a death for them hurts you a lot less than a death for the opponent. They also work well as something to discard from hand - they do just as much work in the graveyard ;p

The opponents in Devonshire are very weak against the deck - most of their troops are zombies so give you card advantage, they have very little in the way of flyers or growing troops so are unable to effectively defend against vultures, vampires and giant ghouls. Even annoying fight abilities like the spitfire elemental end up backfiring on your opponent - doing damage to decaying giant in 1 damage packets buffs your other troops out of harms way. A particularly hilarious one sided matchup is the cloaked figure, who will conveniently mill your ghouls and rotting aways and then give them back to you by playing a zombie.

Recommended talent build is: Hale, Healing Aura, Good Karma, Hearty, Fortitude, The Righteous Path. You'll start matches with 34 health and have significant healing as well as overwhelming card advantage. You are basically the campaign equivalent of a abrams tank.

Wait, so the ethereal healers can also pop out of the grave when you are healed? I haven't had that happen before, but I generally have used them carefully so they don't die that often.

Also, looks like a good deck. I was planning to level shin hare next and will give this a try. Only cards I don't have are the minions, princesses, and the king. Might pick up a princess before I get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by creature View Post
    Wait, so the ethereal healers can also pop out of the grave when you are healed? I haven't had that happen before, but I generally have used them carefully so they don't die that often.
    Yes, Ethereal healers are really strong with the equipment. Truly the gift that keeps on giving. They are the one troop I just send to their deaths since they gain me life, buff my Righteous Paladins, trigger my Paladins of the Necropolis, trigger their own revival which in turns triggers Scriveners, which triggers Righteous Paladins and Paladins of the Necropolis.... etc. It's sick really fast.

Ivory Pawn with trinket equip >>>>>> Rotting Knight's equip when it comes to Ethereal Healer decks.

That's a rather expensive deck, and it doesn't look like it needs to be. Can you make a budget version?

Quote Originally Posted by Harwinne View Post
    Yes, Ethereal healers are really strong with the equipment. Truly the gift that keeps on giving. They are the one troop I just send to their deaths since they gain me life, buff my Righteous Paladins, trigger my Paladins of the Necropolis, trigger their own revival which in turns triggers Scriveners, which triggers Righteous Paladins and Paladins of the Necropolis.... etc. It's sick really fast.
    Wow! This has just been upgraded to my new favorite card.

Quote Originally Posted by selpai View Post
    That's a rather expensive deck, and it doesn't look like it needs to be. Can you make a budget version?
    I did include a section for the budget part - you could use 3x banshee ( undead, so calls back ghouls, and unblockable ), 3x buffalo and 3x call the grave ( swap trinket slot to call's one ) instead of all the legendaries/rares and it would still be 90% effective. I'd keep 2x Izydor though, he's cheap, acts as a strong force multiplier, and creates more zombies.

If you have the cards already, I'd recommend the original layout though, everything just fits together so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantius View Post
    Ivory Pawn with trinket equip >>>>>> Rotting Knight's equip when it comes to Ethereal Healer decks.
    The orb here is the blood gem that causes -1/-1 when they are blocked, not their equipment. In general terms, ivory pawn probably is better to summon healers, but in this particular case I feel the knights are a better overall choice, as they bring back ghouls and rotting away, they will almost always kill something when they attack, and they are a popular target for removal.

Meant determined knights, the trinket slot. Rotting knight w/ gem is good.

I think splashing some Diamond shards will not hurt shard base at all, and you can eventually hardcast Ethereal Healer if needed.