Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Style Points - Righteous Paladin

Style Points - Righteous Paladin

by Dinotropia

HEX PvE Campaign was released at the beginning of the month, and if you are anything like me it has been a constant companion in your gaming life ever since. Not only has HEX combined two things I adore—TCGs and RPG leveling—they have a number of puzzling encounters that encourage you to dust off that brain-box and befriend bizarre strategies to succeed. Of these encounters, few bring the heat quite as often as Devonshire Keep.

The last dungeon, Devonshire Keep has been on my mind for quite some time. Behind those gates lies the chance at one of the more powerful PvE cards to date, Lady Devonshire...

https://www.hextcg.com/style-points-righteous-paladin/
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Oh Dino... a Righteous Paladin in an Underworld Deck... we all knew we could but still...

j/k

Great article as always.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Crota View Post
    Oh Dino... a Righteous Paladin in an Underworld Deck... we all knew we could but still...
    Yeah, I will not be running this deck because of it (not joking). I like to maintain the illusion of story consistency and thus avoid cross-faction cards. That said, many of the ideas here can still be applied to either faction's clerics, you just can't run them all together.

Can't get behind this article.

First, taking Fortitude over Aspect Aura: Good Karma. Never, not even once. This goes along with his reasoning for picking Shin'hare. There is nothing gained from finishing a dungeon with extra lives. If you need to reroll against Wiktor 5 times, it's your deck-building that's the problem (too much variance), not the number of attempts (which should increase once HexEnt finally adds mercs). Getting Blessings more consistently is too good to give up.

Going multi-shard (again adding variance) for little benefit is a waste. Diamond, in particular, has cheap answers for everything in Devonshire and plenty of clerics. Meek alone handles the big challenge of Wiktor, not to mention most zombies. There is also inner conflict, shard ward, blinding light, repel, and pride's fall. The only real gain (I don't consider hunger of the mountain god to be worth it) is corrupt harvester for nearly unblockable damage, but diamond clerics a similar answer. Both Bastion of Adamath and Protectorate Sorceress can clear the way for attack.

Can't help feeling disappointed. I am always looking forward for Dino's articles because of the sheer craziness of some decks... But B/D Cleric? Really? REALLY? The deck that has been a known quantity ever since the first days of campaign? The deck that is already advised in chat to every new player as being one of the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Verdant View Post
    Can't help feeling disappointed. I am always looking forward for Dino's articles because of the sheer craziness of some decks... But B/D Cleric? Really? REALLY? The deck that has been a known quantity ever since the first days of campaign? The deck that is already advised in chat to every new player as being one of the best?
    Hey Verdant,

Sorry you didn't like the decklist =/ I like to do a range of builds and decklists. Some are over the moon. This was an attempt at something that even a new player could get into -- both from a complexity standpoint and a cost standpoint. Believe it or not, I was actually excited to write about something like this as I had been messing around with various ideas about how to farm Wiktor safely and this was one that really clicked. My earlier attempts with a Vennen Cleric and my Elf Warrior weren't doing it for me on the consistency front.

The innovation in the deck that I thought was a nice twist is the Shin'hare touch. More dungeon lives, more uncommons, and more of a safety net. It makes it really easy to use for people who are still learning about the game. Perhaps it is less exciting for those connoisseurs out there. I was aiming to do something both a little different and also accessible. I wasn't aware that people were suggesting something similar -- the only one I heard bandied about was B/D necrotic which I believe is much less forgiving. Just goes to show you that if there is a good idea out there multiple people will arrive at it independently.

Don't worry, I have more crazy stuff coming at you soon!

why Grim Harvester ? it's not like you will have shin'hares to sacrifice, and most of your creatures are solid, so you won't use its effect a lot

also kill instead of contract killing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinotropia View Post
    Hey Verdant,

Sorry you didn't like the decklist =/ I like to do a range of builds and decklists. Some are over the moon. This was an attempt at something that even a new player could get into -- both from a complexity standpoint and a cost standpoint. Believe it or not, I was actually excited to write about something like this as I had been messing around with various ideas about how to farm Wiktor safely and this was one that really clicked. My earlier attempts with a Vennen Cleric and my Elf Warrior weren't doing it for me on the consistency front.

The innovation in the deck that I thought was a nice twist is the Shin'hare touch. More dungeon lives, more uncommons, and more of a safety net. It makes it really easy to use for people who are still learning about the game. Perhaps it is less exciting for those connoisseurs out there. I was aiming to do something both a little different and also accessible. I wasn't aware that people were suggesting something similar -- the only one I heard bandied about was B/D necrotic which I believe is much less forgiving. Just goes to show you that if there is a good idea out there multiple people will arrive at it independently.

Don't worry, I have more crazy stuff coming at you soon!
    Never mind Dino...solid article, really solid deck. I for example wasn't aware Shin Clerics get to pic 4 uncommons. And especially some uncommons (also in wild) are amongst the most powerfull especially in PVE (Chlorophylia with equip e.g.).
    Maybe one solid article and then a very fancy article and vise versa should to the trick.
    Or as you seem to be jack of all traits, just let people vote about a few cards wich you will then build a cool deck around.

Cheers
    Six

Quote Originally Posted by pyrovoice View Post
    why Grim Harvester ? it's not like you will have shin'hares to sacrifice, and most of your creatures are solid, so you won't use its effect a lot

also kill instead of contract killing ?
    Not many newbies have contract killing(s) in their collection. Although they also might not have to Hunger of the Mountain god
    With grim i can agree...although sometimes you cannot attack, wich means no life gain, wich means no pumping up of the righteous...with a few sacrifices you can tackle that problem.

My biggest gripe with Shin'hare Cleric is that it grants nothing more than a momentary advantage over Necrotic. Yes, his shard grid currently is a bit better for a pure Cleric deck, but the potential simply isn't there. All the while Necrotic still farms Devonshire without a problem and has a better synergy with some other powerful cards (partially negates effects of Contract Killing, for example, or has access to an additional Incantation of Righteousness).

On an entirely different note: given three Diamond uncommon slots and going for ease and access, is there any reason for not running 3x Ethereal Healers with equip? They give a player even more of a safety net and have a great synergy with all the life gain that this deck has.