Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Dawn - First Light

Primal Dawn - First Light

by HEXRysu

Consider the following situation that has come up countless times in Armies of Myth draft. It’s your Wild-Ruby opponent’s second turn and they are attacking you with an Ashwood Soloist and you control a Runeweb Infiltrator. Not an entirely uncommon situation. Normally you’ll happily take the damage, because one damage is far better than losing one of your best spider makers.

Well, until that 1 damage turns into one or two of these...

https://www.hextcg.com/primal-dawn-first-light/
    Please tweet me @HEXWilliam for a reliable, quick response. Thank you.

Holy cow !

Seconded. These cards are all amazing, but I'm a little worried for power creep. We're seeing some serious steps over baseline power. 2/2 for 2 with a keyword ability is ok, but with something as strong as Voice of the Ashwood or Starcaller Ancient, the ability crosses the line. And we have some seriously powerful 3-drops in limited now, too. Rune-Ear Hierophant, Cyclone Rider, Nightsky Prophet, and the Bee Rider from yesterday are all incredible in draft, and possibly constructed for some of them.

I can't say I'm too impressed with Empower, since it's a very mana-hungry ability, but I suppose I can hope its lure is enough to slow down the game to a point where these big cards are viable. However, like I just said, we have some very early power cards right now that could directly conflict with it.

I *will* say that I love the flavor of a lot of these designs. The multi-shard cards are very, very cool, and fairly unique. My favorite is the Chronodaemon. It's a concept that I've never seen before, but makes perfect sense in execution, as well as having a very big wow-factor. So neat, great job on the avatars and legendaries!
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Awesome stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing more and being able to throw money at HXE in April!

Rock League Champion
    Omg!!!
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

So I'm a little confused about the templating of Empower.

From the article, it says when you play a card with Empower, you choose whether to play the normal version or the super version.
    So what is the point of having the text say "Empower: NAME OF CARD"? Why can't it just say "Empower"?

I kind of want to shift Mistlord onto Chronodaemon and see what crazy things we can pull off.

And finally we get some Mackerel Mitts to cover our Fish Hands!

Quote Originally Posted by facade View Post
    So I'm a little confused about the templating of Empower.

From the article, it says when you play a card with Empower, you choose whether to play the normal version or the super version.
    So what is the point of having the text say "Empower: NAME OF CARD"? Why can't it just say "Empower"?
    I guess because we can imagine some cards empowering not themself but some other cards

Quote Originally Posted by Gregangel View Post
    I guess because we can imagine some cards empowering not themself but some other cards
    But how does that work exactly? The article makes it sound like you choose to Empower the card when you play it. How will the other card know if it can be empowered or not?

Example - Suppose there was a card "Burn King" that had "Empower: Burn". Would Burn King need to be in play to Empower Burns? In my hand? Just in my deck? Empower sounds like it is the ability to choose an alternate cost when playing a card; how would it possibly trigger for other cards?

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe I've got it all wrong. Maybe Empower is an ability that you activate to transform a card in your hand that matches the condition after Empower, not an alternate cost mechanism. All the cards with Empower have have Empowered versions, so in such cases, when you use Empower, the named card in your hand will transform.