Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comparing power levels - The power creep thread

Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    The thread is called the powercreep thread can you really say you go into it without any prejudgement?
    I mean, I guess I have prejudgements about what existing cards I think are good. Judgements about what I enjoy in Hex. What foods and colors I like. Geez, when you think about it how can I know anything. Maybe I'm just a brain in a jar! Thanks for the existential crisis.

On a more serious note, yes. I began the thread without considering the cards very much, took each one by one and compared it to the most similar card I could think of based on function and then judged which I considered better. I'm not even actually sure what you're insinuating. Do you feel I said there was too much or not enough power creep? Personally I think there is a pretty spot on amount shown so far but feel free to voice your opinion.

I was making a observation more than anything i take little issue with the thread as a whole.

I disagree with the stingshot as you can't have power creep without a comparison in my opinion.
    I also want to suggest nelebrin skirmisher as a comparison for the rune ear which is a big big power jump considering having rhino gem in it as major makes it almost the same(rhino gem takes 1 more threshold) but with better stats and effects.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Easiest comparison for Primal Dawn is Zodiac Divination. 5 cost, get three cards, and a small modifier on those cards.
    Collector Tier - I am out of my mind spending this much on a Kickstarter. You better be good, Hex!

Infernal Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRGamer View Post
    Easiest comparison for Primal Dawn is Zodiac Divination. 5 cost, get three cards, and a small modifier on those cards.
    Of course if you play Zodiac Blessing, get three shards, your -1 cost in inapplicable. Really there's no question, these new cards they've shown have significant advantages over the older cards. The question I'd be more interested in having an answer to is, why? Did they do it because set 3 cards were worthless almost as soon as they came out? I mean besides Phenteo and a couple other legendaries there weren't a lot of popular cards from set 3. I bought a full set of Cerberus' for 8k-12k gold each. Scrapyard Megatron is a rare that sells for like 2k gold. I think they may be trying to create a set that will have longevity and chase rares, so they see more packs opened or used in tourneys than sold on the AH.

If that's the case it seems logical enough. I may not be a big fan of power creep, but to be honest it was practically impossible for Coyotle to not get power creep from set 1 to set 4. Zodiac Shaman etc, none of the early Coyotle were worthwhile cards. I almost kind of dig the whole empowered card angle because it means that you'll have more choices. Do you sit on a card and risk drawing a couple more resources to play it empowered when your enemy might be able to force you to discard? The last thing you want is to not get to use the card because you waited too long, but at the same time the efficacy increase may be worth it.

We'll have to see the full set, but I feel like, if nothing else set 4 won't be so low on chase cards and set 4 primals won't be selling for less than 1000 platinum, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BenRGamer View Post
    The only problem with that comparison is there's a big different between 3 random cards and 3 cards you put in your deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    The only problem with that comparison is there's a big different between 3 random cards and 3 cards you put in your deck.
    especially since those wild troops may be prismatic and require thresholds you cannot produce. Besides the fact that very late game this can be doubled I definitely agree that it is not as good as Zodiac Divination

I think you underestimate the power of the Necrotic Blackguard a little. Just shift his power onto a troop with Lifedrain (hello PvE Cleric decks), and the penalty is neutralized. Heck, with Righteous or Necropolis Paladins, you can turn that downside into a net gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavon View Post
    I think you underestimate the power of the Necrotic Blackguard a little. Just shift his power onto a troop with Lifedrain (hello PvE Cleric decks), and the penalty is neutralized. Heck, with Righteous or Necropolis Paladins, you can turn that downside into a net gain.
    Congratulations you now have a clumsy 6/6 for 5 whopty doo
    Last edited by wolzarg; 03-03-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    Congratulations you now have a clumsy 6/6 for 5 whopty doo
    He's right though. The Blackguard's power can be a net advantage in and of itself, since a lot of cards proc off of damage to champions/yourself (ex. Hunger/Fury of the Mountain God) and/or lifegain effects (ex. Righteous Paladin/Paladin of the Necropolis). If utilized correctly, it could be HUGELY advantageous.

Of course, none of those cards are part of the meta, and a card that isn't good in and of itself usually doesn't see play in that, so it'll likely be a niche card for PVE decks.
    IGN: Legan

If you "don't value" Angel of Agony ability much then you probably aren't qualified to be grading cards. It's insanely good to say the least.