Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Primal Dawn spoiler compendium - post 'em as you see 'em!

Master Theorycrafter
    Sure does look like S/R is going to have a lot of fun things to play around with in this set. I can see Impulse being a very strong pick for anyone thinking of going with ruby in draft. Even with the discard, it's very hard to turn away that draw two for two. That can easily turn a many late game matches.

Ok two things I should probably clarify before I get any further into this:

1) I'm critiquing this card from a purely theoretical design standpoint and not some "this is format wrapping/the game is going to shit" perspective.

2) Power creep can have many different interpretations - the definition I'm using here is the most basic one in that there's a card that's just straight out better than the other and makes one essentially obsolete.

So back to the topic at hand. Currently there isn't a single Action in Hex I believe that has straight up power creep. They have done a fantastic job thus far varying costs, effects, quick vs basic, and adding little additions to some of the cards so that any card could do something slightly better than the other depending on the situation.

Example: Wild Growth gets you +3/+3 and goes back in your deck and costs free. Strength of the Redwood doesn't go back and only gives you +1/+3 but it gets Skyguard so its much better against decks that have flight. Crackling Sprout costs 1 more and only gives +2/+2 but it gives you Crush and gives you a charge.

You see these cards are all varied and give interesting choices for deckbuilders even if some are much better in most situations. It doesn't even matter that none of them really have a place in serious constructed decks because that's not the only demographic this game is made for. You have people playing pauper/Rock leagues, you have people playing limited modes, you have people playing PvE, and you will have ton of other modes and when you play those modes you want access to different deckbuilding options - that is the core of what this game is about.

The saving grace of this card is that it isn't purely better than Skewer either. It can technically deal 1 more damage to a player if you happen to cast it on a 1 defense troop. But damn, it's awfully close..the closest we have come yet in this area (Actions) to power creep, which is why I think it's not unfair to say it's a disappointing spoil especially when most other cards have been excellent thus far. The fact that this is occurring in the same block in such a blatant way will be apparent to all and the thoughts it conjures aren't ideal.

And btw, Skewer has seen constructed play

Under-powered cards should be fair game for new cards with improved designs.

Yea, I'd agree that this is probably the closest we've seen to direct power creep.

However, I udnerstand HXE's position: it needs double Ruby, the design calls for troop and champ damage, 3 for 3 is a solid cost:dmg ratio with the sidekick bonus of 2 champ dmg. Now at this point you have a card that is very, very similar in power to both skewer and crackling bolt. Skewer does 1 more champ dmg but is conditional, crackling bolt cost 1 less, is basic, and replaces the sidekick bonus of champ dmg with a charge which is conditionally more valuable.

What I'm building to here is the fact that empower completely launches this card into a new power level and completely justifies its creation. While the base card is simply similar to other "marginal-staples" (not sure I've ever used that term before), the empowered version is in a bit of a different class: 6 cost for removal + 4 champ dmg at quick speed? Pretty darn good.

And really its the flexibility of the card between the two power states that really gives it a good chance to be a staple in the meta. Which is why I really get a kick outta empower. =)
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    I think we have vastly different interpretations of what that statement means. Go back to that list again, click off Gauntlet, add in IQ Top 8 and Community Tournaments... there isn't a single deck running it when good players are actually trying to win significant prizes. For comparison, then change Skewer to Burn and you find 63 decks.

Skewer showing up in Gauntlet is irrelevant. Cosmic Transmog shows up there and nobody has the delusion that is tier 1 playable.

Edit: The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Angmar View Post
    I think we have vastly different interpretations of what that statement means. Go back to that list again, click off Gauntlet, add in IQ Top 8 and Community Tournaments... there isn't a single deck running it when good players are actually trying to win significant prizes. For comparison, then change Skewer to Burn and you find 63 decks.

Skewer showing up in Gauntlet is irrelevant. Cosmic Transmog shows up there and nobody has the delusion that is tier 1 playable.

Edit: The sky isn't falling. Everything is fine.
    Whoosh

Honestly i agree with bootlace to some extent its skewer 2.0 and if it wasn't printed in the same limited format i wouldn't even care at all. But it really is just a better skewer in pretty much every scenario which makes it a good bit unfun but maybe this one is good enough to see contructed play.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Of course, Skewer doesn't encourage greed quite so much as this does. Skewer does encourage greed a little - I'm sure some people have passed up on perhaps better targets to hit 1 defence troops - but how many people do you think will wait too long so they can Empower this?

Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    Of course, Skewer doesn't encourage greed quite so much as this does. Skewer does encourage greed a little - I'm sure some people have passed up on perhaps better targets to hit 1 defence troops - but how many people do you think will wait too long so they can Empower this?
    I'm sure that, most of the time, the question of whether to use the card will be more involved with using it to kill an early threat or holding it to kill a late threat. I bet there will be many an occasion where you're sitting on 5 resources and wondering whether you should kill that Nightsky Prophet or wait to kill the troop it prophesied.

Also, I hope we have the champions spoiled before the 26th. Charge powers are so pivotal... helps me know what we're working with.
    Last edited by hitchslap88; 04-17-2016 at 01:06 PM.