Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex 100k Coverage Feedback Thread (Unofficial)

Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERoostasaur View Post
    Needs more Roostasaur.
    Don't we all.

I'd like to point something out. Not only over the HXE invitational broadcast but, in general, in most e-sports events I've watched, there seems to be a tendency to get the casters dressed up as bankers/businessmen.

To me someone like Dino (I love his stream to bits by the way) screams fancy dress (and hat!) Putting him in a suit is like having a bath with your socks on. It just does not work.

My 2 cents anyway!

Otherwise I quite enjoyed the broadcast. Bearing in mind all the casters were jumping from amateur to semi-pro this weekend they did a great job. Well done guys!

Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERoostasaur View Post
    Needs more Roostasaur.
    After two days together, I can honestly say it still wasn't enough. <3

i like draft. i like constructed.
    but i'm not a fan of combining them in one bracket. i don't remember the names, but someone went 4-0 in constructed and we didn't even get to follow that deck onwards.

i'm not sure what can be done about the overall casting.
    excitement about some of the less interesting games and drawing conclusions from a sample size of a couple games detracts from the quality of the commentary
    but it was obvious that the event was trying to promote the game, so i'm not sure what they could have done instead
    it's a similar problem faced by other games trying to be esports. i guess the trick is to be an advertisement without coming across as an advertisement. maybe it's easier when games are more exciting by default

On the whole, the event and coverage were great. Snake in particular absolutely CRUSHED in his role. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd swear he was an announcer for a living. Hire that man.

I was very disappointed that we didn't get any special views for the draft portion. All we got was the equivalent of a normal user's twitch stream, with voiceover. I really expected to see some kind of live view of multiple players, or at least a running list of what cards had been picked by each player (and what was in front of them to choose from), so we could get commentary on the overall shape of the draft, instead of what just one player was doing. This feels like a big gap to me that I would like to see improved in the future. The data is available, regular community members have already made draft tools with the API, it should be possible to merge that data into a single interface to show activity it real time.

More tech to give the casters more data and talking points would definitely help the overall production value and make it more interesting, so they don't get stuck feeling like they are filling time with nothing solid to talk about.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    i like draft. i like constructed.
    but i'm not a fan of combining them in one bracket. i don't remember the names, but someone went 4-0 in constructed and we didn't even get to follow that deck onwards.
    I think that's part of the point, you are suppose to follow the player more than following the deck. The meta is going to change significantly over the course of a few months, and the players will continue to play the game. I believe that most if not all competitors looked at the tournament and understood that Day 1 was more about winning at least 2 games to advance in to the draft portion.

Snake showed realy high class. I also realy felt he is pro
    One gripe i had. More varied vocabulary. I had feeling i amhearing xx online all time. Probably becuase i am more used to "hit te board" by penta from fiveshard
    Proud Champion tier backer

Since in general I think the event went great I will just say this one thing.

I was dissapointed by the lack of critical play reviewing during the commentary. We basically had two play by play casters who called out the plays. Dino often said something like "thats a good play" but there basically never was "he missed this play" or "the alternative would have been to..". On the one hand I can understand that you dont wanna call out a player on his potential misplays. And you realy dont want to be wrong with your misplay claim. But..it is just very dry if you never go anywhere near that direction. Look at the HS casts. They have no problem calling misplays out. And even if a caster gets something wrong another caster corrects him (usually). Maybe there was a policy to not talk about potential misplays at all. If thats the case the casters cant be blaimed (and the policy should be scrapped). All I know is that discussing alternative plays realy brings action into a cast. Otherwise its little more calling the moves turn by turn. For a more lively commentary I would have like fridged or penta. Best case two guys who are not afraid to call out misplays and who will discuss alternative plays as well (basically the HS casting model).

With only 10 playewrs they shoulds cover all players well. 0 coveragw for bootlace, whiel dragonbron all the time. Thats wrong.
    Another thing. TOunrament structure. Dont even try to do that again. If during day only thing to achieve was getting 2 wins, players with 2-0 could easily just concede round 3 and 4. It would be bad for the show, but no one could realy blame them as it was pointless to play at this point.
    Proud Champion tier backer