Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which ranking system for Hex ?

Hybrid View

Which ranking system for Hex ?

Cory talked about ranking during the invitational without being very specific but it's sounded like we will not have a casual ranking system HS style.
    And i am glad, i don't want that.

I hope for a ranking system bind to our stat in competitive draft, construct tournament and sealed or construct gauntlet. Not a ranking base on casual matchmaking.

I see a one month leaderboard and a eternal leaderboard with a system that erase our points earned 3,6 or 12 month ago.

Monthly ranking give some rewards (1 AA cards for the 10 % best players for exemple, 2 for the best 5 % )
    Eternal ranking give entree to big tournament events( ie : the top 5 of the leaderboard 2 months before the event). +7 players picked thanks to special tournament like before.

Point system. I would like something like this :

2-0 win in draft : 3pts
    2-1 win : 2pts
    1-2 loose : -1pt
    0-2 loose : - 2 pts

Same for daily constructed/sealed tournaments

Gauntlet sealed win 1pts, Gauntlet lose -1pts
    Gauntlet construct win 2pts, lose -2pts

Qualifier tournaments, in client community tournaments and VIP tournaments

2-0 : 5 pts
    2-1 : 3 pts
    1-2 : - 2pt
    0-2 : -3pts

Your opinions ? Your wishes ?
    Last edited by Gregangel; 03-07-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Rock League Champion
    i dont care much about the system behind leaderboards / statistics, i just want to have them... im happy with any kind of system.
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Ranking systems should only be really scrutinized in large tournament sessions as part of an event. Casual drafting in the random fire queues should not apply. If i got passed 3 stonetusk and want to laugh a bit to see if i can actually get them to work in a draft i dont want to be penalized for it. True rankings should be kept for highly structured and organized events.

For casual tourneys a simple win counter is plenty. If you win the counter goes up and if you lose the counter does nothing. For casual play in the random tournaments that is more than enough.
    In Game Name: Halko

And you could always do your drzft test in swiss. Swiss should be out of the ranking system to preserv a really casual play

I understand your point but this solution would not increase play activity. And a ranking should be used for that too
    Last edited by Gregangel; 03-07-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregangel View Post
    2-0 win in draft : 3pts
    2-1 win : 2pts
    1-2 loose : -1pt
    0-2 loose : - 2 pts
    so with a 50% winrate, you just have to play very often to get many points. I think, such a system is too simple.

Also I would personally preferm, that your opponents level is considered like a ELO system or the many similar candidates.

Creator of shareyourdraft.com / Forum thread IGN: dBug Twitch: dBug404

Quote Originally Posted by dbug View Post
    so with a 50% winrate, you just have to play very often to get many points. I think, such a system is too simple.

Also I would personally preferm, that your opponents level is considered like a ELO system or the many similar candidates.
    Yes and no.
    I think activity should be rewarded a bit. But I came up with a not symmetrical system to take into account waiting time.
    In drzft you do not earn point during pick, deckbuilding and between round. So you will always earn more point by winning than loosing a lot in a same amount of time spent
    And as you can see : gauntlet would be symmetrical. Because less need to compensate waiting time.

On ELO system, i don't like it. Too elitist, it would create a two-tier system.
    Last edited by Gregangel; 03-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.

I don't see why that would be more elitist than any other system. A system that rewards players for playing much would be "two-tier". The ones that play much and the ones that dont play so much.
    Last edited by dbug; 03-07-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Creator of shareyourdraft.com / Forum thread IGN: dBug Twitch: dBug404

I don't understand what that means.

There is a reason most games use an ELO system - it forces you to have a minimum amount played in order to get points, but at the high end it differentiates individual skill level. You're point system is just a grindfest that the person who has the most time to play wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Angmar View Post
    I don't understand what that means.

There is a reason most games use an ELO system - it forces you to have a minimum amount played in order to get points, but at the high end it differentiates individual skill level. You're point system is just a grindfest that the person who has the most time to play wins.
    Tecnically, the ELO system has the same flaw unless a time limit is set (such as on online chess servers). Otherwise, it's very possible to earn a low rating and be stuck there for ages. It's what pretty much coined the phrase: "ELO Hell"