Thread: Carnasaurus battling Emberspire Witch results in health gain

Carnasaurus battling Emberspire Witch results in health gain

Carnasaurus when battling Emberspire Witch is triggering health gain for the battle. As the Witch should be preventing any health gain and is in play when the battle takes place that should not be happening.

HexTortilina in Help chat tab thought this was a bug as well which is why I'm writing this up.

Thank you for your report. HexTortelinia told me about your question.

This actually isn't a bug. Carnasaurus's power that gains health is a triggered power, and separate from the battle power. The healh gain power will trigger during the battle, but won't resolve until the battle is complete. In between the resolution of these two powers, the game will see that Emberspire Witch has taken lethal damage, and will send it to the crypt, such that her power is no longer in effect by the time the health gain power resolves.

Now, if the Carnasaurus somehow had Lifedrain (i.e. from a Sun Seer prophecy), then Emberspire Witch would prevent that health gain, because Lifedrain is part of the damage being dealt and would happen immediately while the Witch was still in play.

I don't quite understand this answer.

Carnasaurus says "When a troop you control battles, gain 2 health".

Why would the gain health trigger not resolve immediately?

Otherwise it should be worded "After a troop you control battles, gain 2 health".

Quote Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
    I don't quite understand this answer.

Carnasaurus says "When a troop you control battles, gain 2 health".

Why would the gain health trigger not resolve immediately?

Otherwise it should be worded "After a troop you control battles, gain 2 health".
    Due to the game rules, two separate powers cannot resolve simultaneously, nor can a power resolve in the middle of a resolution of another power. The power triggers during the battle effect, and is then put onto the chain (invisibly and without priority passes, since it's a targetless triggered power), but cannot begin to resolve until everything ahead of it on the chain has finished resolving. After each resolution, the game will check for various effects, including lethal damage on troops.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Is there any chance in the future of changing the wording on the cards to more clearly reflect the sequence of what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
    Ok thanks for the clarification. Is there any chance in the future of changing the wording on the cards to more clearly reflect the sequence of what happens?
    There are no plans that I know of to change the wording of triggered powers, but you should always feel free to open a new thread in the Feedback and Suggestions forum anytime there's something you'd like to see change.