Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This game needs a divine offering mechanic, or a way to get guaranteed resources

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Because certain decks depend on pulling 1 or 2 cards that initiate their combo and wreck you. Free mulligans allow these decks to easily recycle their hand for a more favorable one if their opening hand doesn't have the card they need. The more card advantage you give powerful decks the more likely they will destroy you without a fight.

Look at Enter the Dream for example. In Arena, you absolutely need to draw Enter the Dream at some point. Getting it in your opening hand with 14 possible cards to look at and no disadvantage for doing so means you're almost assured to find it. And if not? -1 card, 6 card mulligan, for 20 cards viewed. Or heck, go to 5 cards for 25 cards viewed. You have four in your deck right?

Important cards should not be in your opening hand EVERY GAME.
    It makes sense, but I don't believe we would ever have such powerful combos in PVP. Their existence in PVP would brake the game by itself. Also, one free mulligan doesn't guarantee anything, and in current system first player always has some decent advantage, so if I play in limited or constructed, and the coin likes me more, then I'm in winning position already even before my games begin. I don't find it a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    Less randomness = less chance to win for an average player. The best will win even more than they do now. So, most people should be lobbying to maintain randomness!
    Assuming their goal is to win. A lot of players (especially average players) play to have fun, and don't enjoy lopsided games as much as good matches, even when it's lopsided in their favor. Also, the more games come down to skill, the more they'll learn and improve, instead of getting by on luck wins.

I like Chark's explanation better.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Simple way to fix it! Every turn, choose a threshold. You gain that threshold and 1/1.

Welcome to Hexstone.

I feel like I've said this 1000 times in these threads... But I'm inspired by Chark's priceless comments...

Less randomness = less chance to win for an average player. The best will win even more than they do now. So, most people should be lobbying to maintain randomness!
    Whoever likes randomness so much, would rather play Hearthstone - it's unbeatable in terms of randomness. xD
    I (and not only me) want just to get rid of bad (in my opinion) old game design, which grants you massive advantage or disadvantage depending on coinflip even before a game begins.
    Last edited by Deathlock; 03-10-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Planeshaper View Post
    This is, to an extent, tautologically true. Reducing the variance for both players in the game is going to yield approximately the same results.
    That's not true. The better player will win more. The worse player will lose more. As you reduce variance you put a larger emphasis on win rate based on skill and vice versa.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

That's not true. The better player will win more. The worse player will lose more. As you reduce variance you put a larger emphasis on skill and vice versa.
    "to an extent" and "approximately"

In the great majority of cases, the statistics even, as players play a minority of games against others with severely divergent skill. I agree with Chark, in this case -- changing the level of randomness evenly (to an extent) won't noticeably alter most players statistics.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathlock View Post
    I (and not only me) want just to get rid of bad (in my opinion) old game design, which grants you massive advantage or disadvantage depending on coinflip even before a game begins.
    This "coinflip" that you call "old game design" is the basis of a card game, and nothing you suggest will ever change this.

When you and your opponent finish shuffling your decks, before either of you draw any cards, one of you likely has an advantage, based on whatever your top X cards of your deck are. If you want this to be even, with no advantage, you are saying you disagree with the entire premise of a card game.

Your top X cards versus your opponent's top X cards. All a mulligan/redraw does is allow you to exchange for a new set of top X cards that you think has a better chance.

If your line of thinking is "my top X cards have to be on par with my opponent's top X cards or it's unfair"... you want less variance, and card games are likely not the kind of game that will ever satisfy you.

---

EDIT: I am generally replying to the thread, but I think your particular argument is about coin flips and going first... one player has to go first. You're not really getting around a player getting an advantage based on play position no matter you do.
    Last edited by hacky; 03-10-2016 at 07:05 PM.

hacky, this coinflip is a thing that can be changed with no harm to the gameplay. I find your example with cards in decks etc irrelevant here. Why do you think Hearthstone (though I don't like this game) has "Coin" and Spellweaver has "Spark of Initiative"? Because playing first is always an advantage. And Hex (though I love this game and want it to become even better) sticks to a 23-years old idea.

Anyway guys, I see no support for my suggestions, so it's possible you all are right, and I'm wrong. I don't want to be anti-Hex or anti-community guy here. All I want is huge success of Hex. Much love everyone. Now I'm going to sleep.

PS: if there is anybody who has some ideas similair to those I suggested, feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to know you exist at least xD

There are definitely people that agree with you. I have extensive debates with one of them on occasion. That said it is unlikely we'll see major changes in this area.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.