Thread: Mono wild deck building - the battle of the boots

Sensei of the Wounded Petal

Mono wild deck building - the battle of the boots

When I am building a wild deck, for me almost always the hardest problem is deciding who gets the boots. Wild seems to have an abundance of powerful boot equipment for strong mid-range utility troops.

There are some that can usually be ignored as being focused to a particular theme ( bramble creeper, dance of dusk, whispering breeze, shin'hare roshi, shin'hare militia, predatory prey ), but there's a few that always cause problems for me.

The main contenders are :
    Feralroot Slippers - 'Your wild root dancers have, "You can play an additional resource on each of your turns"'.

The wild root dancer is a staple in most wild decks - although he has a frail 2/2 body which is a high priority for removal, he can turn shard flood into an unstoppable advantage and is a cleric for extra fun in PVE. Clearly an all-star player, but the boots are a little more questionable. Free ramp is super strong, especially when it comes with potentially +4/+4 to a creature. It also covers some of the weakness of the dancer to removal - if you have the extra shard you can get benefit out of him even if he gets removed the same turn you play him. The key part there is the extra shard - it's amazing when you've got it, but to have two or more shards left on turn 3 probably means taking a scarily bad hand at the start, especially if you are a warrior, with the 6 card hand. He also has a strong synergy with the cleric class - playing him onto a divine altar with spare resources is almost always game over for any opponent in campaign. His greatest weakness, apart from the removal, is requiring another troop to give the +2/+2 to. It's a bad feeling playing resources with just a dancer out ;p

Enchanter's Footwraps - 'Each of your cards named Prospero, Sylvan Enchanter instead have, "At the start of your turn, create a Tempest Hymn and put it into your hand. It gets "Draw a card".

Prospero is a relatively new addition to the wild lineup, another pretty fragile 3 cost 2/2, he fits in a similar role to the wild root dancer, creating a 2 cost quick action that gives +2/+2 for the turn at the start of your turn. At first glance he seems a poor match against the dancer - 2 for a temporary +2/+2 vs a free permanent +2/+2 ? Where he gets somewhat of an edge though is the AI's blindness. A quick +2/+2 will pretty much always trick them into an unfavorable trade, where the basic speed +2/+2 of the dancer will be blocked intelligently, forcing you to have an overwhelming advantage to get an unfavorable trade. The quick +2/+2 can also act as a handy answer to damage based removal - mitigating prospero's fragility a bit. The free actions also act to mitigate shard flood, albeit more slowly than the dancer does, but also have an added advantage against discard, and give another target for abilities like soothsaying. He's also some mitigation against shard screw - given it costs 3 to play him, you are guaranteed to have at least *something* to play each turn if he stays alive. The boots are where it gets interesting though - giving 'draw a card' to the quick actions addresses one of wilds great weaknesses - card draw. This gives a strong mitigation against both shard flood and screw, as well as providing more answers for you. Probably Prospero's greatest weakness is his 'Unique' keyword

Sous Chef Slippers - 'Your Shiitake Chefs instead have, "At the start of each turn"'

The Shiitake Chef is an interesting PVE card - much more durable than the other candidates at 3 cost for a 1/4 body, he randomly gives you 1 permanent resource, a permanent +1/+1 to a random troop, or +1 health at the start of your turn. This can be a little annoying in the doubling down on randomness, but all of the effects are pretty helpful ( +1 health was a bit sub-par in frost ring arena, but it has extra synergy with other lifegain effects in the campaign ). He doesn't really do anything for shard flood, but works as a strong mitigator of shard screw, as well as acting as a reasonable ramp source. His boots effectively double his abilities, although it's worth noting that the ramp effect is more than double - when he gives you a resource on the opponent's turn, it's available for you immediately when you turn starts, as opposed to when he grants you one on your turn, it's not usable until next turn. He was always a bit troublesome in frost ring arena - while he was immune to most of the popular removals, his effect is pretty slow for a format where turn 4 or less wins were extremely common. Campaign gives more room to breathe, with even very fast aggro decks being stalled pretty effectively. His biggest weakness is probably the random nature of his ability, although honorable mention to everyone's favorite Rot Cast for removing the chef's durability advantage completely.

So - for people building wild decks - which one do you favor, and why ? Or do you sneer at all of them and always go with raptor boots or woodland sandals ?
    Last edited by velk; 03-13-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Shii take chef is not realy a problem is not many poeple either have or use it, but yeah i have same problem usualy. Some slots are heavy contested, boots, gloves chest etc. If u add dream stag and scourge crag witch to the party its realy headache what to take.
    Proud Champion tier backer

I prefer the Feralroot Slippers. Buffs and faster ramping trump the others, at least in my decks.

I only have one Chef, but I haven't really enjoyed using it at all, so its boots don't appeal to me at all. I really want to try out Prospero, but I doubt his equipment will take priority over WRD's.
    Member of The Unnamed Council: A Relaxed, Yet Organized PvE Guild - apply here!

Prospero's boots have been winning out for me lately. The card draw is just so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Prospero's boots have been winning out for me lately. The card draw is just so good.
    For the Rich KS backer's yes, for a class that generally lacks great card-draw options it's a god-send.

Budget building presents other options through lack of money, but it depends on deck direction too.

Sometimes the extra resource Wild Root presents is too nice to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    For the Rich KS backer's yes, for a class that generally lacks great card-draw options it's a god-send.

Budget building presents other options through lack of money, but it depends on deck direction too.

Sometimes the extra resource Wild Root presents is too nice to pass up.
    For sure, totally agree. I love all three options to be honest, but after trying the Prospero boots, it's been really hard to switch. On the other hand, I've yet to even try the Prospero gloves. There just always seems to be a better option.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    For sure, totally agree. I love all three options to be honest, but after trying the Prospero boots, it's been really hard to switch. On the other hand, I've yet to even try the Prospero gloves. There just always seems to be a better option.
    Yeah, for me, vine traps with gloves are a MVP in campaign - apart from being a permanent combat trick, they cover wild's lack of swiftstrike really well. (screw you, rot touch ghouls)

And, of course, if you are doing dinosaurs, you are taking the feed handler's gloves.

I have to agree, if you have Prospero, use his boots. Even when I'm running my green/blue deck that extra draw every turn can turn a hand you probably should have mulliganed due to bad draw to "Somehow I pulled this out, oh yea it's because I got cards faster". It would have been nice to have both the top two since typically then I do end up with multiple shards in hand, but otherwise I might get one or two uses out of the wildroot's ability without the draw to back it. Now if you end up getting an Eternal Sage... that might worth it.

I have a bugged deck with 2 headgear equiped.I don't know how it happened.