Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP! Is this game broken, or is my group doing something wrong?

I am a HUGE Ghostbusters fan, so naturally I HAD to back this game on KickStarter. My group was all really excited to play it. When it finally came, it hit our table.... and the group did not enjoy it. I liked it, but had some complaints. We tried it one more time after that..... and my group HATED it.

The problem.... there were several members who basically spent the entire time literally getting to do NOTHING because they would get slimed so much that they had no actions left... would spend their entire next turn removing one slime..... then during that turn they'd get slimed again and therefore have to repeat the whole process on the next turn. Hell, we even got so sick of it we had to house rule that wasting your whole turn would remove ALL slime, not just one. ....Even that didn't help. Within the next turn, or at least the next few turns, they'd be fully slimed again.

I love Ghostbusters and wanted to love this game, so I started looking around the Internet, such as on Board Game Geek sure that others had the same complaints and had come up with suggested ways to fix the problem. I was baffled to see that NOBODY was complaining about the same thing.

Some of the folks on the BGG forums suggested that maybe my group's strategy was bad. I must admit, we did spend more time with a "divide and conquer" strategy than we probably should have. We probably should have kept together, at least in pairs, so one buster could remove slime from the other. Still, with how often we were getting slimed, I fail to see how that would make enough of a difference. We also played a couple of the one-shot scenarios that came with the KickStarter (the Slimer one and the Stay Puft one) because we wanted to try that before we got into the multiple game campaigns. So, I don't know, maybe those were too hard for beginners.

As it is, I won't get to test the theory of playing more strategically anyway. Though I would love to give it another try, this game will never see the table again because my group will just flat out refuse to play it.

:-(

Still, did anybody have a similar experience and/or have suggestions for what we could do to have a more enjoyable experience? Based on the otherwise positive feedback I seem to be seeing for this game, it MUST be that we did something wrong.

Hero of Adamanth
    So I think you kinda nailed it on the head with a couple things you mentioned, at least in my experience.

First, it's not very beneficial to divide and conquer. It may require one full wasted turn for a ghostbuster to remove 1 slime from himself, ghostbusters can remove 1 slime from an adjacent ghostbuster with just 1 action. If done correctly and smartly, this can be really beneficial, and help break the constant slime cycle. There is also a ghostbuster that has special abilities revolving around removing slime (i think it's Stanz, but don't quote me on that), so having him on your team could also be a benefit.

If fighting a large boss or a troublesome ghost, it's always good to attack as a team, surrounding it and keeping it's focus bouncing around from ghostbuster to ghostbuster so that it doesn't gang up on just one.

Secondly, while I haven't played a lot of different scenarios myself yet, I think your starting choice may have been like diving into the deep end a bit. After playing the first few scenarios in Campaign #1 (Slimer), I decided to introduce a few new friends to the game by playing the Slimer One-off scenario. It was a LOT tougher than I was thinking it would be, and we didn't last too long. If you ever get to play again, I'd definitely suggest trying some of the easier campaigns first. While I'm sure you want to jump right in and fight some cool bosses, you need to fine-tune your skills and stragedy a bit, including picking which ghostbusters's abilities work best for your play style (and maybe even the scenario).

I won't deny that the slime can be a pain, and I do think it saps some of the fun out of the game if you're not careful, but starting out with some easy scenarios could be the trick.

Hopefully this helps a bit, and I hope you get to play it again.
    Last edited by pjvedder; 03-18-2016 at 12:16 PM.

We too have experienced this, both in adult group play and my kids. I can't remember how many times I've said out loud, "I really want to do this, but I can't because of the slime". I really like the recommendation of spending a whole turn should remove all slime, not just get you one action back.

Attacking Ghost at maximum range is a new player's best friend. Most Ghosts don't have a When Hit or When Missed ability that gives them 3 spaces of movement, so forget about gaining XP by being close to the Ghosts or whatever reason you have to try for hand to hand combat; take advantage of that line of sight.

And as others have said, don't separate more than necessary. Working together you can eliminate foes that require more than two streams without giving the Event Die a chance to ruin all your work by moving the ghosts out of your line of sight.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    I would comment, but what everyone already said what I would have.

Have other busters remove your slime. Always.

Yep. It's a co-op game in the truest sense of the word. You need to be adjacent to help out your teammates. Divide and conquer is the worst strategy for this game.

Hero of Adamanth
    Also, I think it's important to note that while this game is designed for 4-5 players, if you are afraid you'll never play again because your friends won't agree to play it with you, you can definitely play this as a 1-player game. You would just need to control the movement and actions for all 4 Ghostbusters. Not as fun, I'm sure, but at least you'd be able to still play it, and maybe even test some strategies so you can go back to your friends with (and hopefully convince them one more time).

Baby Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvedder View Post
    Also, I think it's important to note that while this game is designed for 4-5 players, if you are afraid you'll never play again because your friends won't agree to play it with you, you can definitely play this as a 1-player game. You would just need to control the movement and actions for all 4 Ghostbusters. Not as fun, I'm sure, but at least you'd be able to still play it, and maybe even test some strategies so you can go back to your friends with (and hopefully convince them one more time).
    I beg to differ. The game is a lot of fun played alone or with a friend. Almost all my games have been with a single partner (the majority) or alone. I played once with 4 people and the game got more challenging because coordinating strategy was more difficult. Part of the problem was likely that 2 of the 4 players were under 10, but I have REALLY enjoyed the game as a 2 player game.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    I often play with 2 players and we handle at least 2 characters each, sometimes more.

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchyAaron View Post
    I beg to differ. ..clipped...
    Fair enough. Admittedly, I've never actually played single player, but a few times with 2, 3, and 4 people, and the most fun i've had so far involved the higher number of players. I don't think it really spoke for the game not being fun as a single (or 2-) player game , but just that I enjoyed the camaraderie that came with trying to troubleshoot and solve the scenarios we played.

As you pointed out, I think it really depends on the people are playing with that make or break the experience, but the game itself is well designed enough so that any number of people can really play and enjoy it.

But having said all that, since I can't get a group together as often as I'd like (having kids will do that), I will probably be playing a bit more solo so I can get through the campaigns (and thus justify a purchase of GBII )