Thread: Tournament bug, opponent DCed, given the win upon relogging

Tournament bug, opponent DCed, given the win upon relogging

I was playing the VIP tournament yesterday and a really strange bug occured.

I won Game 1 against my opponent and had lethal on board for Game 2. I swung for game, and it stated my opponent disconnected. I watched his timer tick down and at 5 minutes, it hung for a moment and shot us back into reserves. Well, why should it do that? If he disconnected in Game 2, wouldn't I have won 2-0?

Apparently not, as it made us play Game 3, which he won, and the tournament gave him the win 2-1 overall. I know I never disconnected as I was chatting with friends in game during my opponent's disconnect.

Already filed for reimbursement from Gameforge but I've never heard/seen anything like this ever happen before (in Hex at least).
    In game: TheHollow (QotSA reference!) // http://tinyurl.com/TheHollowHex - My Trade List/Wish List!

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by SquallTiofae View Post
    I know I never disconnected as I was chatting with friends in game during my opponent's disconnect.
    I don't think you can use that as an indicator, as I've seen people on stream getting disconnected and thrown to the login screen, but the chat stayed and was still functional on the login screen. So it could be that you got disconnected from the game but not from the chat somehow.
    IGN: Nollfem, warrior backer and former WoW TCG player. Compiling official rule articles and statements for the unofficial rulebook article over at the hex4newbies wiki!

So my opponent's timer counted down, it was on his priority, and I was connected to the game's server, but I somehow DCed and wasn't notified? That seems unlikely.
    In game: TheHollow (QotSA reference!) // http://tinyurl.com/TheHollowHex - My Trade List/Wish List!

Quote Originally Posted by SquallTiofae View Post
    So my opponent's timer counted down, it was on his priority, and I was connected to the game's server, but I somehow DCed and wasn't notified? That seems unlikely.
    If I recall, I've been in similar situations, and listening to my opponent, we both were seeing priority given to the other player, with their clock ticking down. In reality, the client thought it was one of our turns, and if we both sat their waiting for our time-out win, one of us would lose, even though we both saw the clock ticking down for the opponents.

Basically, your client gets disconnected from the game server, and you pass priority within the client, which shows this. However, the priority pass never makes it to the game server, which thinks that you're still waiting to pass priority. Since the two clients can't sync (or never try to), the local client doesn't receive any indication from the server otherwise, and continues counting the clocks as best as it knows how. (The alternative being it gets every second of change as an update from the game server, which is not desirable.)

Why your client never realizes it's been disconnected, I don't know. It's definitely an error on their end, but this explains how it happens.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!