Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game mechanic: is there a step after dmg is assigned but before a creature dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Planeshaper View Post
    --Combat Damage Step (Optional; skip this entire step if there are no attackers and no blockers without swiftstrike)
    ------Creatures without swiftstrike assign their combat damage as applicable
    ------Assigned combat damage is dealt (marked)
    ------Creatures with lethal damage marked on them die; players with 0 or less health lose
    ------Triggers from any of these effects go on the chain
    ------Each player gets priority until the chain is empty and both players pass priority
    I think the bolded part is not quite right. Each player gets priority until the chain is empty, but there is no priority window in this step with an empty chain.

Ah, that may indeed be true. I'm not on a system that can confirm at the moment (on my laptop) -- thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Saeijou View Post
    i'm happy how it is solved... i mean... doing it otherweise would change the game a bit
    but you can sacrifice after attaching the blocker... so not a huge difference i guess (besides crush)
    Not true, the biggest advantage was, that the creature also assigned dmg to the opposing creature and you could sacrifice it for an additional effect or even dmg to opposing player or champion. I remember winning a small regional tournament in the 90ies where I had a black weenie deck an sacrificed a creature to a skull catapult after it dealt and received dmg from another creature and was able to kill a much bigger creature with that combo.

--Combat Damage Step (Optional; skip this entire step if there are no attackers and no blockers without swiftstrike)
    ------Creatures without swiftstrike assign their combat damage as applicable
    ------Assigned combat damage is dealt (marked)
    ------Creatures with lethal damage marked on them go to crypt;
    ------ Creatures moved to crypt die

------players with 0 or less health lose
    ------Triggers from any of these effects go on the chain
    ------Each player gets priority until the chain is empty and both players pass priority

added a clarification because of frost wizard .... a creature only dies if it moved into crypt (see frost wizard preventing spiritbound spy)

I kind of miss damage on the stack in Magic. I think they removed it to lower the power level of sac effects, so they could open up more design space at lower costs. Block your Grizzly Bears with my Mogg Fanatic, stack damage, sac Mogg to deal the extra 1 to your Bears... Those were the days. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    I kind of miss damage on the stack in Magic. I think they removed it to lower the power level of sac effects, so they could open up more design space at lower costs. Block your Grizzly Bears with my Mogg Fanatic, stack damage, sac Mogg to deal the extra 1 to your Bears... Those were the days. :P
    Exactly
    Last edited by Sixlooter; 03-30-2016 at 07:47 AM.

I only kind of miss the damage-on-stack shenanigans, but I definitely liked it for clarity of damage distribution. It was always perfectly clear where each point of damage was going, and how it was going to get there, and each player had chances to respond to that knowledge.

For example, 3/3 attacks, blocked by three 1/2s. These days, the attacker chooses the order the damage will go, and then it just processes through that, dealing 2 to one, and 1 to the next. With the damage-on-stack rules, you could choose to deal your damage 1 to each of them, which would be great in combination with Staggering Blast or that Cleave card that was just spoiled. And I feel like it works a lot better with damage prevention effects too, much less room for confusion.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

I only kind of miss the damage-on-stack shenanigans, but I definitely liked it for clarity of damage distribution. It was always perfectly clear where each point of damage was going, and how it was going to get there, and each player had chances to respond to that knowledge.

For example, 3/3 attacks, blocked by three 1/2s. These days, the attacker chooses the order the damage will go, and then it just processes through that, dealing 2 to one, and 1 to the next. With the damage-on-stack rules, you could choose to deal your damage 1 to each of them, which would be great in combination with Staggering Blast or that Cleave card that was just spoiled. And I feel like it works a lot better with damage prevention effects too, much less room for confusion.
    I believe the Cleave interaction would work as-is. Just play it after blockers are declared.

But I agree, damage-on-stack allowed for some pretty cool tricks. The streamlining was nice though.
    Member of The Unnamed Council: A Relaxed, Yet Organized PvE Guild - apply here!

Agreed. Why can't dmg be assigned with a little counter below each creature it deals dmg to? In this popupwindow where each creature that blocks shows up instead of just order you could distribute the dmg. Would this interfere with the current rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixlooter View Post
    Agreed. Why can't dmg be assigned with a little counter below each creature it deals dmg to? In this popupwindow where each creature that blocks shows up instead of just order you could distribute the dmg. Would this interfere with the current rules?
    Yes. Under the current rules, damage must be assigned to the first troop until it takes lethal damage, then damage is assigned to the second troop until it takes lethal damage, etc. Damage can't be split up among troops with more than one troop taking non-lethal damage.

In the post you quote, there's an example where splitting up the damage in the way you describe would increase the power of cards like Staggering Blast, Heat Wave, Sorrow, etc., so if the rules were changed, all of these types of cards would need to be rebalanced.