Thread: Potential Bug - Abominate and Spiritbound Spy

Potential Bug - Abominate and Spiritbound Spy

So, I lost a round in VIP this last weekend due to this cool little combo. I thought about it a lot, and talked to a few people, and the majority thought it was not a bug, but I'd like clarification anyway, especially due to the swiftstrike bug being previously addressed with Spiritbound Spy.

Anyways, the combo is simple, and achieved easily in limited on turn 2.
    Turn 1: Play Diamond Shard, Play Spiritbound Spy
    Turn 2: Play Blood Shard, Play Abominate targeting the Spiritbound Spy, target the Phantom with the buff.

What is weird is that this can't be done with other cards that have sacrifice payment costs like Shin'hare only triple sacrifice res buff. Where the Shin'Hare technically are already in the crypt, and you could technically target them in the same window this happens, but the game does not allow it..

This is not a bug, and I'll be happy to explain why.

When you play an action with targets, the game will check for valid targets at three different points. The first time is to determine if there are any valid targets at all while the card is in your hand. If there aren't any, and the targets for the action are not optional, then you cannot choose to play the card. The second time is when actually playing the action, before it goes onto the chain. Any targets must be chosen from those that are valid at that time. The third is when the action resolves, at which point the game checks to see if any of the targets are no longer valid. If any target is invalid at this third check, then the action fails to effect it as it resolves, and if all targets are invalid, then the action has no effect at all.

In between the second and third check there's a lot that can happen to a target, and it may become an invalid target at some point during that time, but so long as it is valid again by the third and final check, then the action will resolve correctly. Spiritbound Spy is a valid target for Abominate during the first two checks, and even though it dies, transforms, and returns to play, it will still be a valid target for the third check (assuming no further interference).

The reason that Gift of Yazukan can't target one of its sacrificed troops is because those troops are not valid targets during the first and second checks. And the reason that Spiritbound Spy doesn't deal combat damage after dying to swiftstrike is because there is a rule that says "A troop leaves combat if it leaves play." (This rule is what prevents a normal troop from dealing combat damage from the crypt.)
    Last edited by HEXahedron; 04-05-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Great! Thank you, that helps me understand the interaction differences a lot better.

Are you, by any chance, working on a PDF file with all of these unique rules?
    I'm sure it's not the first time folks have asked for a living breathing comprehensive rules set.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Great! Thank you, that helps me understand the interaction differences a lot better.

Are you, by any chance, working on a PDF file with all of these unique rules?
    I'm sure it's not the first time folks have asked for a living breathing comprehensive rules set.
    While we wait for official comprehensive rules, I maintain an article on a Hex wiki where I compile all official rule statements. I'm still updating it, but there's a lot of information already! You can find it here: http://wiki.hex4newbies.com/index.php?title=Unofficial_Rulebook
    Last edited by 05K4R; 03-30-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    IGN: Nollfem, warrior backer and former WoW TCG player. Compiling official rule articles and statements for the unofficial rulebook article over at the hex4newbies wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by 05K4R View Post
    While we wait for official comprehensive rules, I maintain an article on a Hex wiki where I compile all official rule statements. I'm still updating it, but there's a lot of information already! You can find it here: http://wiki.hex4newbies.com/index.php?title=Unofficial_Rulebook
    Great list - I'll reference where applicable.