Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help deaf people understand the game - transcribe HEX VODs for rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldath View Post
    Hi Largashbur,

I'm taking HexHavoc's Monday Meta Madness Episode 5, just because he's my guild-mate.

I'll be delivering my work in MS Word format, as my limited intelligence is incapable of figuring out a way to use your recommended software. It will be a time-coded transcript, in a layout acceptable for most production houses, at least in where I live.
    While I appreciate it, please don't transcribe this XD That episode isn't very good :P if anything I'd start with episode 6 as it has a new structure that I'll be doing with future episodes also but yea, I've been looking into doing this myself and will very likely have something in place by the time we get primal dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by havocattack View Post
    While I appreciate it, please don't transcribe this XD That episode isn't very good :P if anything I'd start with episode 6 as it has a new structure that I'll be doing with future episodes also but yea, I've been looking into doing this myself and will very likely have something in place by the time we get primal dawn.
    A transcription of even a "suboptimal" episode is better than "nothing". And as deaf people we cannot really judge the "quality" of a VOD beforehand. Plus, I know of several people that were interested in the topic of Episode 5 in particular, Episode 6 doesn't have the same topic

Quote Originally Posted by Largashbur View Post
    A transcription of even a "suboptimal" episode is better than "nothing". And as deaf people we cannot really judge the "quality" of a VOD beforehand. Plus, I know of several people that were interested in the topic of Episode 5 in particular, Episode 6 doesn't have the same topic
    That's fair what I may end up doing is writing up an article to accompany each video.

Do you want a transcript using MS Word or the like? Or do you want a video with the subtitles added and ready to go? I'm having trouble downloading the subtitle program.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchslap88 View Post
    Do you want a transcript using MS Word or the like? Or do you want a video with the subtitles added and ready to go? I'm having trouble downloading the subtitle program.
    Any text-based software is okay as long as the format (with video times and text) is the same as in the given example. The subtitle program just makes it a bit more convenient. Which VoD did you want to transcribe?

Master Theorycrafter
    Do we have an idea how many hearing impaired people we currently have in our community? Just to get an idea of how many people would be benefiting from this

I'd be willing to give this a shot as well, but am a bit skeptical about how much time would go in the 'alignment' of the transcriptions with the video (e.g. the time stamps, so that you have actual subtitles for the video). How easy is this to do? Because I think that's what I would be looking for if I was hearing impaired, not reading a boring MS Word document transcription. Although I can imagine something like that is always better than nothing ofcourse. But if the allignment isn't that much of additional work, I'm all for doing it the proper way.

Obviously I also like watching streams and shows and I can see this as an opportunity for myself to look at some content I otherwise wouldn't look at. So you can sign me up for Sithos’ Archetype Drafting. Shoutout to Havoc btw with his MMM, I like that show alot

PS: Aligning it seems like a tedious task, but if you use Subtitle Workshop, you can do it 'while you are replaying the sentence for transcribing' anyway, so it's a matter of practice and getting used to the shortcuts. So I'll give it a try anyway.
    Last edited by nickon; 04-04-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Master Theorycrafter
    During lunch at work, I transcribed the first pack walktrough of Sithos stream. Entering subtitles through Subtitle Workshop goes pretty well as <ctrl-spacebar> and <ctrl-leftarrow> is an intuitive way of pausing and rewinding during transcribing.

Syncing the transcriptions will take another pass though, so I'll give the pack 1 transcription I've done already a go with that to see how that works out.

PS: Sithos, you're kind of a talker Which is good when you're a streamer of course

Ok, I'm doing the Dream Draft by Alucard.

Question, should I transcribe it exactly, or should I get rid of some if the "likes" and false starts (such as "I don't know... I don't know whether... whether...")?

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchslap88 View Post
    Ok, I'm doing the Dream Draft by Alucard.

Question, should I transcribe it exactly, or should I get rid of some if the "likes" and false starts (such as "I don't know... I don't know whether... whether...")?
    I usually tend to get rid of those if they are not to disruptive. Sometimes I've added *cough* or someting to the subtitling if it is really interrupting with the usual pace of streaming, so that the viewer doesn't get an awkwardly long subtitle in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by nickon View Post
    I usually tend to get rid of those if they are not to disruptive. Sometimes I've added *cough* or someting to the subtitling if it is really interrupting with the usual pace of streaming, so that the viewer doesn't get an awkwardly long subtitle in his face.
    Hey Nickon, I don't want to steal your thunder, but I've never done subtitling before, so I want to give it a try, and I'd rather not "reserve" something for myself. I'm gonna try some part of the archetype drafting stream, if you're okay with me infringing on your turf. It seems like an interesting project.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't even install the subtitle software on my computer. So the installation just straight up fails. Sadness.
    Last edited by LegoFortress; 04-04-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    IGN: Silverwood