Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HEX Update - Spoilers From Cory

Quote Originally Posted by IronPheasant View Post
    Incremental updates don't generate as much of a bounce in player numbers as named expansions do. Because they don't generate marketing and word of mouth.

Quite frankly, I would have refactored the equipment system at the design phase completely. The overhead it puts on set dev time, as well as the fact that its non-progressive (ie, you can't get a progressively betterer sword for your Rune Ear Commander for example. That kind of mmo loot treadmill doesn't exist here)... the same basic gist could have been done with stuff like "Four plants in your deck get +1 def".
    I would absolutely hate that kind of generic equipment it may take time but a lot of the pve crowd will tell you its time well spent. Personally what i really want is the equipment sets to come. I still don't know if they scrapped that idea or if they just need more and/or more rare loot before they implement it but it was a awesome idea and it still is.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    I think people are missing the point. Let's look at an example (with completely made up numbers). Say it takes 12 weeks to create a set. 3 weeks to add PVE deck saves. And 4 weeks to add a new Gauntlet mode. That's 19 weeks of development. Then say it takes 3 weeks to prepare and execute a content patch no matter what is in it.

If I do it all together it takes 22 weeks. If I do it in 3 patches it takes 28 weeks. Same overall content, but splitting it up takes longer. And it takes 6 weeks away from content generation. With a larger team it wouldn't matter because you could devote folks to just doing patches. However, HEX isn't at that point yet, even though I have no doubt they'll get there.

Look, I live my life in a state of perpetual instant gratification, but I also understand that sometimes waiting is better because you get more/better whatever over the longer term.
    The number of players lost to boredom with quicker releases is much lower I would be willing to bet, and you can put a price on that.

More frequent, shallower content releases might save the day and satisfy some of the hardcore players who log-in everyday but it doesn't exactly put Hex in a position to grow as quickly as their current strategy would. The reason they're still not marketing heavily is not because they aren't releasing PvP sets every 4 months, it's still because they're trying to perfect that new player onboarding experience. And that requires every single thing they've developed thus far that's not PvP cards: including PvE cards, PvE equipment, all campaign content, tutorial, leveling/class/talents/loot systems etc etc.

So yea in the big picture, PvP is just one of the components, even if it is still the single most important one..especially as far as monetization goes. If you break everything apart and release in small chunks then everything gets further delayed due to the inefficiencies around testing and releasing patches, including gap between PvP set releases...and I'm sure no one wants that.

I think what they could have done to appease the playerbase during these large gaps in content releases could have been involving them a little bit in the sausage making process (or at least giving the sense that they're involving them) but I guess the CM and devs didn't have time for that. For example some weekly/monthly/even quarterly development update on what they've been working would not only appease players wondering what exactly is going on but it would also give players a chance to chime in with some feedback and feel involved.

I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week. Look back at newsposts like:

https://www.hextcg.com/patch-820-breakdown/ (Jan 9th 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-821-breakdown/ (Jan 23rd 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v822-breakdown/ (Feb 6th 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v823-breakdown/ (Feb 13th 2014)

4 content patches in the space of just over a month, adding new cards, new gameplay modes, a lot of big fixes, and a handy breakdown of current known issues. It felt like every week you could log in and find something new and exciting.

Now, I'm not saying I expect major new patches every week, or that we'd want a set released piecemeal as set one originally was. But it would be nice to at least get a bug fix patch every fortnight.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week. Look back at newsposts like:

https://www.hextcg.com/patch-820-breakdown/ (Jan 9th 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-821-breakdown/ (Jan 23rd 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v822-breakdown/ (Feb 6th 2014)
    https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v823-breakdown/ (Feb 13th 2014)

4 content patches in the space of just over a month, adding new cards, new gameplay modes, a lot of big fixes, and a handy breakdown of current known issues. It felt like every week you could log in and find something new and exciting.

Now, I'm not saying I expect major new patches every week, or that we'd want a set released piecemeal as set one originally was. But it would be nice to at least get a bug fix patch every fortnight.
    I suppose that was because nothing was monetized yet so they had no fear of game-breaking bugs and could therefore just run fast and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    I suppose that was because nothing was monetized yet so they had no fear of game-breaking bugs and could therefore just run fast and loose.
    In guess, its the Software Development Process that's in discussion here. There are many processes such as Waterfall, Prototyping, Incremental development, Iterative and incremental development, Agile, etc... Software_development_process

Each process has its own pros and cons. I think the Hex team is using the Waterfall Model, while some people are suggesting to use the Agile Methodology (though they are unaware of it). I'm aware of the cons of the Agile Methodology, but still I too would prefer the Agile Methodology for Hex Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    Yes, that was my reasoning... If they accidentally add a bug that, say, doubles the rate at which legendaries drop from packs, no big deal. If they did that now it could have serious implications, so everything needs a lot more testing.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by publicuser View Post
    In guess, its the Software Development Process that's in discussion here. There are many processes such as Waterfall, Prototyping, Incremental development, Iterative and incremental development, Agile, etc... Software_development_process

Each process has its own pros and cons. I think the Hex team is using the Waterfall Model, while some people are suggesting to use the Agile Methodology (though they are unaware of it). I'm aware of the cons of the Agile Methodology, but still I too would prefer the Agile Methodology for Hex Development.
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to say what they're using, since I learned it under NDA. I will just say that they have a team that understands software development and has chosen the model they think is most efficient for their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week.
    What you were seeing at that time were essentially dev builds. There was no fear to break stuff, because breaking stuff didn't really matter. To provide context, we have daily dev builds for the game now, you just don't see them.

We now work with a larger team and a publisher, so pushing stuff to live is a much more rigorous process.