Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX is coming to Steam!

Finally it's on steam i did suggest it all the time from the beginning. I did almost not back it because the hex people were saying it won't be on steam. I would have taken this so hard as a april fools joke a few days ago. Great job i will recommend it to all my steam friends and will write a positive review asap when it's out on steam.

My only question is, why now?

You guys have been extremely meticulous about not making any marketing push until you really felt the new player experience and features to support them were perfectly in place. In Cory's last interview on the 2TA podcast I remember him saying you guys were still nailing that part of the experience down before committing more to a strong marketing push.

This, frankly, seems to come a bit out of nowhere. It would have been nice to see at least a small 'test' of general new player feedback through some marketing through a popular streamer like Trump to see what were the common complaints/confusions/hurdles that would come and how vehement/significant of problems they actually would be. We've been a well protected bubble thus far and new players usually came at a slow and manageable phase in which they could almost be individually addressed.

Are you guys really satisfied at this point with new player experience/on-boarding and the retention rate? As others have mentioned there's still a lot of quirkyness and complexity for new players and some kind of streamlining/direction seems would be beneficial.

I feel this is a move that has no going back. You can't simply cut off the marketing budget, count those players and money invested as a loss and recoup. This is a big irreversible direction and I just hope it's not rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by bofedy View Post
    what was the reason going on steam btw?
    We believe that it will increase our acquisition of players. We are happy with the percentage of players who currently monetize and want to increase the funnel of overall players.

We believe that the alternative methods to acquire players (other marketing efforts) will cost us more than steam's cut on a lifetime value of a paying player.

Gigantisaur
    Re: all the comments about the new player experience.
    Check out this post for example over on the sub reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hextcg/comm...uestions_help/

This person was good enough to seek help properly, but I worry many steam users won't!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditsch View Post
    Finally it's on steam i did suggest it all the time from the beginning. I did almost not back it because the hex people were saying it won't be on steam. I would have taken this so hard as a april fools joke a few days ago. Great job i will recommend it to all my steam friends and will write a positive review asap when it's out on steam.
    Can you explain this to me? I still cant understand this thought process and im seeing a lot of it.

What difference does the game being on steam make? It doesn't make the game better, so I wonder what the draw is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    We believe that it will increase our acquisition of players. We are happy with the percentage of players who currently monetize and want to increase the funnel of overall players.

We believe that the alternative methods to acquire players (other marketing efforts) will cost us more than steam's cut on a lifetime value of a paying player.
    Do you have a get out plan?

If being on steam is not as big a help as planned is it easy to get out of?

Alternatively, say you acquired a million new paying players (made up number), would it/is it possible to then take the game off of steam and get those players to download the normal client and give 100% of their funds to hex or are you tied in for a set time?

I've got a bad feeling about this and not that Hex is going to Steam, but how it is being presented on Steam.

It's not an MMO yet, but it is listed as one.

It's listed as a complete game. It's not. I know HexEnt says it is, but it isn't. Fine in the world it has been in, not fine, at all, in the Steam community. Towns anyone?

Like most people here, I was on steam from day one. I have followed the review system rather intently (though haven't written any myself, Hex will be a first for me), and this listing seems ripe to be torn apart.

I think all of this would be avoided if listed as an early access game. Do that, it meets the general steam community's expectations, don't do it and you're going to have thumbs down after thumbs down of 'the campaign is too short, there isn't enough content here, their site says raids are coming, but I don't see anything resembling that' etc. etc. This is what the Steam community does.

I had thought if it goes to steam, it would be after all the things promised in the KS were delivered. We are far from that day. Early access games are a staple now, people expect that if core elements of the game are still coming, it is an early access game. If I was introduced to Hex via this listing, I would come out with a bad opinion of it.

I don't think I would have that bad opinion if it was listed as Early Access, if anything, I would be more excited about upcoming features on an already super solid and fun base of play.
    Last edited by fido_one; 04-05-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    Do you have a get out plan?

If being on steam is not as big a help as planned is it easy to get out of?

Alternatively, say you acquired a million new paying players (made up number), would it/is it possible to then take the game off of steam and get those players to download the normal client and give 100% of their funds to hex or are you tied in for a set time?
    I don't think I know of a successful game that went on steam and then went off and survived. If it draws bad reviews, there will always be records of that, and like most of the world, I check a few review systems - Metacritic, Gamerankings, and Steam. I put most of my $$$ on games that draw good Steam reviews, and I would imagine if it goes on the platform, draws bad reviews, any exit created won't be worth much as a search will bring up the bad mojo during its run.

Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    I've got a bad feeling about this and not that Hex is going to Steam, but how it is being presented on Steam.

It's not an MMO yet, but it is listed as one.

It's listed as a complete game. It's not. I know HexEnt says it is, but it isn't. Fine in the world it has been in, not fine, at all, in the Steam community. Towns anyone?

Like most people here, I was on steam from day one. I have followed the review system rather intently (though haven't written any myself, Hex will be a first for me), and this listing seems ripe to be torn apart.

I think all of this would be avoided if listed as an early access game. Do that, it meets the general steam community's expectations, don't do it and you're going to have thumbs down after thumbs down of 'the campaign is too short, there isn't enough content here, their site says raids are coming, but I don't see anything resembling that' etc. etc. This is what the Steam community does.

I had thought if it goes to steam, it would be after all the things promised in the KS were delivered. We are far from that day. Early access games are a staple now, people expect that if core elements of the game are still coming, it is an early access game. If I was introduced to Hex via this listing, I would come out with a bad opinion of it.

I don't think I would have that bad opinion if it was listed as Early Access, if anything, I would be more excited about upcoming features on an already super solid and fun base of play.
    I agree with a chunk of this. However, while I thought about the Early Access issue above, I reconsidered the fact that HEX is free. There is no upfront cost to playing this game at all.

That being said, it is paramount that the game is not misrepresented on the Steam store regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I agree with a chunk of this. However, while I thought about the Early Access issue above, I reconsidered the fact that HEX is free. There is no upfront cost to playing this game at all.

That being said, it is paramount that the game is not misrepresented on the Steam store regardless.
    Free does not stop the current generation of gamer from complaining.