Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX is coming to Steam!

Not being able to buy from the AH seems kind of rough, like what if you are only interested in constructed play? There are potentially some customer service nightmares here though so I guess I can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by katkillad View Post
    Not being able to buy from the AH seems kind of rough, like what if you are only interested in constructed play? There are potentially some customer service nightmares here though so I guess I can understand that.
    I know that Steam had one of the most labyrinthine set of rules to blast through when you wanted to spend Steam funds to trade cards. They could be imposing the same sort of thing on the AH.

But I also know that trading in Steam is the most griefer/scamming free experience I have had even though it was such a PITA to get approved to spend money on the thing. Maybe beyond helping prevent scamming it could allow for trade of other items on the Steam marketplace if HexEnt ever has the will and means to go there.

Note that it only prevents you from spending plat on the auction house, not from buying or spending plat in the store. And it's a temporary restriction which will be lifted in the normal course of using the account. I'm willing to bet 99.9% of players will never even know about the restriction unless they are actively trying to do something subversive. That's kind of the point.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Quote Originally Posted by katkillad View Post
    I assume purchasing platinum will be one of the actions that will remove the restrictions as is usually the case with this type of anti-scammer system.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Sounds like a bad approach. The first hours of playing the game influence new players a lot. There are some people that want to pay right away. These are your whales. And you're shutting them out.
    The spending plat on the auction house restriction makes the least sense really. The rest make sense.
    We are not turning off anyone's ability to pay. You can spend money to get platinum. You can spend platinum to buy things from the store or enter tournaments.

What you can't do is funnel platinum between accounts by buying a common for 100.000 plat on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by the_artic_one View Post
    I assume purchasing platinum will be one of the actions that will remove the restrictions as is usually the case with this type of anti-scammer system.
    It's not, because these systems are aimed specifically at vectors of attack where someone uses a new account to buy/acquire large amounts of platinum. It would be a worthless system to implement if the action of buying plat from us would remove the restriction.
    Last edited by Chark; 04-11-2016 at 05:14 PM.

I'd have thought the 5% AH fee was enough of a disincentive to move platinum in that way, unless new accounts are automatically being granted free starting platinum or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    What you can't do is funnel platinum between accounts by buying a common for 100.000 plat on the AH.
    Why the hell would anyone do that, and lose 5.000 plat to fees, when they can just straight up trade it to another player? It isn't like either way is any harder to track, or would look any more "legit" if it was investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Showsni View Post
    I'd have thought the 5% AH fee was enough of a disincentive to move platinum in that way, unless new accounts are automatically being granted free starting platinum or something.

This is really a 3-pronged solution to prevent users from benefiting from scamming/credit card theft (from what I can tell, could be wrong here).

1. Prevent players from sending plat from new accounts (Player N) to old accounts (Player O).

Good, but they can have player O send a c.o.d and get that money.

2. Prevent new players from paying for c.o.d. items.

Okay, but they can still transfer plat to a new account via the auction house. It is at a loss, but they are still sending "free" money.

3. Prevent new players from buying items on the AH so they don't buy stuff as a way to transferring money.

Yes, the AH is at a loss, but if it is the only option, 5% is a small price to pay. Also, if they publish how to unlock your account, then all such attempts to steal CCs will just follow those steps until they unlock the account.

This, in theory, localizes the damage. If Steam has to reverse a transaction due to stolen a stolen credit card, it puts Hex in an awkward position of either letting the stuff remain in the system (essentially, becoming free) or reversing the transactions and punishing some innocent players (Player O can go on to spend that newly acquired plat on other cards and it becomes a mess). Now, if player N gets a charge reverse, it is easier to lock down that account, remove the acquired items, and not have a larger effect on the ecosystem.
    Last edited by Zubrin; 04-11-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: other explanation

Does this do anything to Hex's "walled garden" approach? Are EU, NA, and the east all going to be united now? Is the "walled garden" approach even a thing anymore?
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

Quote Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post
    Is the "walled garden" approach even a thing anymore?
    Except for china, no.