Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zygmunt's Game

Zygmunt's Game

Seriously i love the hex design team but this card is just awful in so many ways. It uses the random mechanic which i personally despise but which to be fair is a question about opinion. But its also grotesquely overpowered in the fact that it is super cheap and bypasses spellshield. Putting a small drawback on a random card that can easily be bypassed and even has a buyback option should you not choose to bypass it is really not an acceptable balancing point for the power to bypass spellshield at the cost of 1 for a ruby autokill spell.

Make it do 5 damage or destroy a artifact and im kind on board but it just misses every single point for me as is. Make it have a equal chance to hit your face and every creature and if it hits your face you take damage and/or discard cards and i am on board. But for gods sake don't let me bypass the drawback for a 1 cost kill spell in ruby.

EDIT
    I want to be clear that i do love the art flavor just not the rest.
    Last edited by wolzarg; 04-05-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Probably a bit early to be panicking over one control card in a shard that's so far been horrible at control.

Rock League Champion
    well its cheap and might be a fun card in some limited formats like zakiirs whim for example
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Seems fine. Will be usefully in a few scenarios. Not as good as croc and extinction. Spellshield could use more hate.

Man, I love the goblin cards in this game.

Seems great for a Big Red deck. I don't think this is imbalanced. It's basically an Edict effect from black, which is usually 2 cost, but this has the downside of being worse when you have troops as well. Should see play if any red decks emerge. I'm not sure how well creatureless control works.

I'd like to see this in an action deck with Flickering Gobber and friends, though. Gobber leaves play, making it very possible for you to use this with him!
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    Seriously i love the hex design team but this card is just awful in so many ways. It uses the random mechanic which i personally despise but which to be fair is a question about opinion. But its also grotesquely overpowered in the fact that it is super cheap and bypasses spellshield. Putting a small drawback on a random card that can easily be bypassed and even has a buyback option should you not choose to bypass it is really not an acceptable balancing point for the power to bypass spellshield at the cost of 1 for a ruby autokill spell.
    Spellshield gem should go IMO, there will not be as many troops with SS once the gem goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Seems great for a Big Red deck. I don't think this is imbalanced. It's basically an Edict effect from black, which is usually 2 cost, but this has the downside of being worse when you have troops as well. Should see play if any red decks emerge. I'm not sure how well creatureless control works.

I'd like to see this in an action deck with Flickering Gobber and friends, though. Gobber leaves play, making it very possible for you to use this with him!
    The randomness (the part i hate the most) makes this much much better than edict as it is likely to hit something you definitely wouldn't pick with two choices and can still hit your 10/10 among 50 0/1
    bunnies.

That said i love the opinions regardless if i agree with them or not as i would just scream into the darkness of night instead of making a thread if i didn't care about those.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

As someone who also despises random effects, I think this card is the right kind of random at the right cost. The random nature is very controllable by BOTH you and your opponent. You can run/play fewer troops while your opponent can play around the card in how they order or choose not to play their troops (somewhat similar to playing around Extinction). This creates additional decision trees for both players - something I wish every card in a TCG did.

The counter argument is that the card is far too powerful for 1 resource. However, while the upside of this card is incredible (essentially "target opponent sacrifices a troop of your choice"), the downside is real (and somewhat masked). This card is not good in every deck. The ability to hit your own troops means that decks which play a reasonable number of troops cannot safely play the card or can only consider it as a reserves option. The card has what is essentially a hidden deck building restriction: you cannot be a troop based deck. Destroying your own troop is a big deal too. Even losing a one drop is huge as you've invested two resources (troop + Zygmunt's Game) and lost a card (the troop). That is a huge blow to both tempo and card advantage.

We must then consider what decks want to play the card. While I wouldn't be too shocked if this card spawns a S/R control deck after Set 4, the only current decks which might consider it are Azurecannon and Savvas Tempo. Now let's consider the best case scenarios for the card in these decks. There are really two:

1. You play Zygmunt's Game turn 1 on the draw against Ruby Aggro to remove their one drop. No variance, just cheap removal - perfect for the match up.

2. You play Zygmunt's Game in the mid to late game to remove something beefy like a Vampire King, Crocosaur or Rootfather.

Both Azurecannon and Savvas Tempo run enough troops that enabling the second play will likely require a conscious loss of tempo by choosing not to play a troop the turn(s) before you play the removal. It's also unlikely the play will enable a lethal strike with either deck as that requires troops on board, leading to a dangerous 50/50 (except possibly in Savvas Tempo if you have a couple Phoenix in the crypt).

The truth of the mater is that both these plays are already better enabled by other cards. Burn achieves the same result as scenario one with far more versatility moving into future turns. Time Ripple is better in the second scenario against everything except Spellshielded troops.

Is the card worth main deck space to combat Spellshield? Probably not. How about Reserve space? I'm not convinced it is. While I'm sure the card will see play, I think it is deceptively balanced and will be much more of a roleplayer in reserves than a main deck removal staple.
    Official HEX TCG Columnist
    Analyst for Fade 2 Karma
    www.twitch.tv/varranis
    twitter.com/F2K_Varranis
    www.fade2karma.com/