Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Drilldown by Jeff Hoogland

Deck Drilldown by Jeff Hoogland

Welcome to our next installment of Deck Drilldown. Today we are going to be taking a look at one more deck list from the first HEX: Shards of Fate 100k Invitational Tournament. This archetype is known as “Azure Cannon” and was played by VAZRAEL

https://www.hextcg.com/deck-drilldown/

What i really want to see when you change a deck much more than the new deck you play is the specific card changes -2 bear +2 grey ogre and if possible with a explanation to the specific choice.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

The gem types (minor/major) are reversed in discussing the original deck (Thus, the links do not work).

Someone might want to take a look a the Buccaneer card, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by spankydonkey View Post
    Someone might want to take a look a the Buccaneer card, that's all I'm saying.
    Haha. Nice.

Baby Yeti
    Incubation Webs on Phenteo: Can't the opponent activate Phenteo in response to the Incubation Webs trigger? (I'm genuinely curious and I don't have an easy way to test this.)
    Kickstarter Backer (Pro Player tier)

Quote Originally Posted by Lothlorien View Post
    Incubation Webs on Phenteo: Can't the opponent activate Phenteo in response to the Incubation Webs trigger? (I'm genuinely curious and I don't have an easy way to test this.)
    nope
    Proud Champion tier backer

HEXTCG.com Player Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by wolzarg View Post
    What i really want to see when you change a deck much more than the new deck you play is the specific card changes -2 bear +2 grey ogre and if possible with a explanation to the specific choice.
    I read this post a couple times, but I am not sure what you mean.

Good Article and its always nice to see someone else's take on the deck. That being said I disagree on some points you make in the article.

First of all the easiest match up for the deck is the Troop-based Mono Ruby Aggro Deck since an early Heat Wave is basically an Auto Win and even without we have so many great ways to slow the deck down after reserves. I personally cut 4 CMs, 3 Hypnos, 3 Jags, 2 Reeses and 1 Duke to bring in 3 CMKs, 3 Burns, 3 Heat Waves, 3 Buccaneers and 1 Mentalist (as far as my Invitational List goes) and just play a full control version.

Secondly in my opinion the Cressida Ramp Deck is a better match up than Winter Moon by far. This match up is the reason I picked the Azurecannon Deck for the IQ I ended up winning with a 6-0 Record over Cressida Ramp. The lists have obviously changed since then but Ruby has the most/best answers for Periwinkle/Puck and Sapphire has the best answers for Crocosaurs and the big threats. Also potential Heat Waves make Howling Brave close to unplayable in combination with a Puck or Periwinkle since the Cressida Deck can't afford to get 2 for 1'd in the early game.

As far as the sideboarding against Cressida Ramp and the D/W Rutherford Banks Decks go I strongly disagree with bringing in the Buccaneers and I would very much like to hear the thought process that led to you thinking it's a good idea. The one and only reason for me to not play Buccaneer in the Maindeck is Crocosaur, because a Buccaneer on it's own doesn't do enough to stay on the board alone, so we have to play out a second Troop to present a real threat, which opens us up for Crocosaur. That is fine if I can keep up CM, but that basically means I can only play Azurefates and Tunnelers, no more Buccaneers or Inspires (unless I am at 6+ Resources already, but at that point Buccaneer doesn't really do anything but delay, which is okay but not good). Also I had Duke winning me Games against D/W on it's own by shifting onto a double Damage, Azurefate-inspired Hypno (the copy keeps those buffs and gets re-inspired by Jags, so it deals 20 Damage from coming into play, if it wasn't bugged right now it would also get another set of Azurefate-inspires, so that would be 40) and it is one of the few match ups where I keep him in the Deck after reserves since there are no great answers to it in the D/W decklists.

My last point is about Mono Blood. I agree that it is by far the worst match up for the Azurecannon Deck, but I don't like your solutions to that since I see the problems in different areas. Verdict is a possible reserve-card on the Play but I would never bring it on the Draw because it doesn't answer turn 2 Inquisition (which in my opinion is the biggest problem for the Azurecannon Deck) and is at strong risk to just get eaten by a Vampire Princess. Also the Vampire leech only matters in rare occurences where you come close to winning but can't close it out. What I found to be the problem a lot more often is losing the key cards early to Inquisition and Vampires since it is really hard to get any Card Draw against Mono Blood with Mentalist being easily shut down by Kill, Rot Cast and Extinction. CMK helps a little with that but the match up is still in favor of Mono Blood if played correctly.

HEXTCG.com Player Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vazrael View Post
    First of all the easiest match up for the deck is the Troop-based Mono Ruby Aggro Deck since an early Heat Wave is basically an Auto Win and even without we have so many great ways to slow the deck down after reserves. I personally cut 4 CMs, 3 Hypnos, 3 Jags, 2 Reeses and 1 Duke to bring in 3 CMKs, 3 Burns, 3 Heat Waves, 3 Buccaneers and 1 Mentalist (as far as my Invitational List goes) and just play a full control version.
    That seems like a fairly reasonable plan. Not sure I love cutting Reese though because he can stabilize a game nicely just by being played for five resources and beat down while his bots please defense. I said the match up is strong post reserves, but I do not think it is an auto-win by any means. You do not always draw your heat wave and game one you are fairly light on meaningful, cheap interaction. If they are on the play for game one they can often just get under you.

As far as the sideboarding against Cressida Ramp and the D/W Rutherford Banks Decks go I strongly disagree with bringing in the Buccaneers and I would very much like to hear the thought process that led to you thinking it's a good idea.
    They are just additional cheap forms of interaction that can tempo their early plays. In combination with Ripple they felt pretty reasonable. All in all I was not a fan of Buc in the reserves which is why I ended up cutting them. I agree that you probably don't need them in the ramp match up.

My last point is about Mono Blood. I agree that it is by far the worst match up for the Azurecannon Deck, but I don't like your solutions to that since I see the problems in different areas. Verdict is a possible reserve-card on the Play but I would never bring it on the Draw because it doesn't answer turn 2 Inquisition (which in my opinion is the biggest problem for the Azurecannon Deck) and is at strong risk to just get eaten by a Vampire Princess. Also the Vampire leech only matters in rare occurences where you come close to winning but can't close it out. What I found to be the problem a lot more often is losing the key cards early to Inquisition and Vampires since it is really hard to get any Card Draw against Mono Blood with Mentalist being easily shut down by Kill, Rot Cast and Extinction. CMK helps a little with that but the match up is still in favor of Mono Blood if played correctly.
    I am not saying it is perfect - but I think they are the best solution. Even here you have not offered a better one. The mono-black deck is very good at stopping us from getting under them due to all of their interactions. This means we need tools for playing a longer game which "real" removal for their larger threats allows us to do. I still think even with these changes the match up is bad, but it feels less so.