Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectral changes

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    My gut is telling me tonight will either be filler or steam launch date. Finding out the set 4 date seems possible but less likely than the steam date (and we would probably get the steam date alongside the set 4 date, since steam seems likely to come first.)

Dunno if I should get hyped for the update or not.
    See, I think set 4 absolutely needs to get released before Steam.

Multiple reasons:

Try and manage inevitable server melt. Bad impression to give new players.

Cash in on full prices without steam cuts.

Don't want new players to come in to what is currently a very quiet game and joining tournaments with byes and sat waiting an hour or more for their match.

Etc, etc.
    Last edited by Antfunk; 04-08-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antfunk View Post
    See I think set 4 absolutely needs to get released before Steam.

Multiple reasons:

Try and manage inevitable server melt. Bad impression to give new players.

Cash in on full prices without steam cuts.

Don't want new players to come in to what is currently a very quiet game and joining tournaments with byes and sat waiting an hour or more for their match.

Etc, etc.
    I fully agree mostly on the point regarding a quiet game. It would be a bad impression for new players having extreme problems getting into a draft queue. If they come in after set 4 launches, they will see queues fire like crazy.

It is probably the reason that the 12th April has been removed from Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    We really need that article about the Lotus changes. I might be wrong as I don't know what the overall PvE end game plan is and where these are likely to be used (and more importantly, how often) but I feel like there's two core problems with how the Oak/Acorn/Squirrel is designed right now.

1) The free cantrip means that every single PvE deck will now include a playset of Acorn - essentially reducing deckbuilding to 56 cards. With an assumption of 24 shards, that is 4/36 or 11% of deckbuilding gone.

2) The generated Squirrel is not a desired card and hence disincentivizes players from cracking their Acorn during Dungeons (a free cantrip is much more desired over a 3/1 troop for 3 for the remainder of the dungeon. (At the least the old Tiger had a cantrip attached).

Interested to hear what others think.
    Well, I think the real "auto include" is in the decks going for the 100 card bonuses. Enabling that more is probably good. In a 60 card deck "deck thinners" aren't always desirable (they're hot for combo, not so much aggro).

Also I think the real insidious bit about the acorns is that people think they'll juts get 4 on the AH and never crack them, but once they're staring down Wicotor with a bomb in hand they're a couple resources short to cast and an acorn on the field, most of them will use the acorn. Long term we're talking about things like the outcome of a raid sometimes depending on cracking the acorn or not. There will be times when it's worth it even if you have to buy the replacement on the AH.

Also, the acorns won't be all that expensive on the AH. The value of the oaks is in volume as they just keep making more acorns, that will sell for some amount of currency. New players will want their starting 4x set, some people will use them no matter the cost, and most people will use them occasionally to get out of a tight spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    Well, I think the real "auto include" is in the decks going for the 100 card bonuses. Enabling that more is probably good. In a 60 card deck "deck thinners" aren't always desirable (they're hot for combo, not so much aggro).

Also I think the real insidious bit about the acorns is that people think they'll juts get 4 on the AH and never crack them, but once they're staring down Wicotor with a bomb in hand they're a couple resources short to cast and an acorn on the field, most of them will use the acorn. Long term we're talking about things like the outcome of a raid sometimes depending on cracking the acorn or not. There will be times when it's worth it even if you have to buy the replacement on the AH.

Also, the acorns won't be all that expensive on the AH. The value of the oaks is in volume as they just keep making more acorns, that will sell for some amount of currency. New players will want their starting 4x set, some people will use them no matter the cost, and most people will use them occasionally to get out of a tight spot.
    I love going into this math but won't bore anyone with projections. As a legendary don't we still have a floor on this? If so, that floor is pretty high. I personally would be very happy at 25 Plat an acorn but can work with 10 plat.

Expect demand to ramp with level caps, right now you can only put 2 of these things into 7+ level AZ1 characters.

EDIT: 50 plat is the floor, even for PvE cards. I don't think Acorns will sell at that price, which is really crummy. I don't want to trade these in gold....
    Last edited by fido_one; 04-08-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    EDIT: 50 plat is the floor, even for PvE cards. I don't think Acorns will sell at that price, which is really crummy. I don't want to trade these in gold....
    PvE cards are meant to be sold for gold since they're supposed to appeal to the F2P crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    PvE cards are meant to be sold for gold since they're supposed to appeal to the F2P crowd.
    That's not true at all. If it were, we would never have the option to sell PvE cards for plat, and I think most PvE cards are being sold for plat rather than gold.

If Acorns cost a minimum of 50 plat, you can bet it will de-incentivize people to crack them. There's just not much point, since the rewards you normally get for beating a Dungeon are worth LESS than that. It'd be like spending a dollar to make 50 cents.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are way overestimating how much in demand these will be. I honestly don't even care that much about them. Why? Because I'm already wrecking the AI!!!! Why do I need Acorns? To win more? I honestly don't see much point. I'll use them in combo decks for sure, but in average decks, I probably won't bother. Plus, I absolutely HATE the idea of using them just to be a non-card in my deck. I already feel there's not enough room in deckbuilding and there's lots of cards I'd love to mess around with, but can't ever find the room for them. I dislike the idea of "mandatory" cards that just reduce the amount of deck building options I can include.

Remember, this isn't a tournament. We aren't competing for big prizes. We're smashing the AI for rewards that are peanuts. And you have multiple lives before you're booted from the dungeon (with more to come with Mercs). I'd only really consider cracking a nut if I was facing the dungeon boss, on my last life, and just really didn't feel like starting over.

I'll get my playset of them, to be sure, but I don't see me including them in every deck, and I don't see myself using them all that often. Maybe it will be different with others

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Actually, PvE cards are meant to be sold for plat so that f2p players can get plat through play.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    If Acorns cost a minimum of 50 plat, you can bet it will de-incentivize people to crack them. There's just not much point, since the rewards you normally get for beating a Dungeon are worth LESS than that. It'd be like spending a dollar to make 50 cents.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are way overestimating how much in demand these will be. I honestly don't even care that much about them. Why? Because I'm already wrecking the AI!!!! Why do I need Acorns? To win more? I honestly don't see much point. I'll use them in combo decks for sure, but in average decks, I probably won't bother. Plus, I absolutely HATE the idea of using them just to be a non-card in my deck. I already feel there's not enough room in deckbuilding and there's lots of cards I'd love to mess around with, but can't ever find the room for them. I dislike the idea of "mandatory" cards that just reduce the amount of deck building options I can include.

Remember, this isn't a tournament. We aren't competing for big prizes. We're smashing the AI for rewards that are peanuts. And you have multiple lives before you're booted from the dungeon (with more to come with Mercs). I'd only really consider cracking a nut if I was facing the dungeon boss, on my last life, and just really didn't feel like starting over.

I'll get my playset of them, to be sure, but I don't see me including them in every deck, and I don't see myself using them all that often. Maybe it will be different with others
    The plat price floor is a BIG problem with these. Big problem. Again, I don't like trading in gold, but it looks like we'll have to - I don't think they'll make an exception in the AH for a one off legendary card, and bumping it to rare is STILL too high (30p) and will probably screw up the mechanic they are shooting for.

This sounds like something we would have discussed, before and after the change but I don't remember it. Where is Gwear when you need him?

EDIT: I think the acorns are meant to be super powerful, and regardless of their changes, they were never designed to have only one or two until you hit whatever level you hit to get 4 of them in a deck. That was a much needed restriction in general for the campaign AZs, but was probably never intended to nerf this card. Why not just make them commons? We still have the legendary on the oak, and the acorns/squirrels are a product of that, so I don't think there is any great harm done there.

It will help get the resell value of these back to what was intended with the KS. 'cause right now, the price floor breaks this card entirely IMO.
    Last edited by fido_one; 04-08-2016 at 01:36 PM.