Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectral changes

Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    I'm just imagining myself going into Hex AH for the first time with my first plat to spend, with some knowledge of MTG. I see the acorn, I know the power of it, I pick it up for 100 plat +. The 'irrevocably reverses' (or whatever, don't have the card in front of me) is something I hang on, but I still think it would change in the hand and not in the library regardless of what the card says. Just because why would it change in the library? No other game does that, and this would be an exception to the rule in Hex. There is a complicated precedence for this card that requires a bit of knowledge. It just wouldn't make sense to a new user.

But seeing it in the AH, and seeing hundreds of them for sale at 100 plat first I'd go 'this is pretty powerful, maybe it's cheaper than other cards because they give them out or are easy to farm?'.

When it irrevocably changes, I would be pissed. Yes, even if I kind of suspected that it could change permanently in my library (I'd think 'surely I'm wrong'). A lot of people would submit a ticket. It's a ridiculous cost for a one-time card in PvE, and the power on it will keep in line with that cost to the uninitiated.

If they are priced at whatever the market value is, say 20p, it will become more apparent something is up. 'Why is this super powerful card so much less than other legendaries?'

Again, make the acorn and the squirrel generated commons, I think you fix the issue. The oak would still be legendary.

Yes, some of this is a stretch, but we're getting loads of new players via Steam and we all know it will be a 'fragile' time for perceptions of the game. People will take advantage of a 100p price floor and if you see a ton of these at 100p, you're going to think they are worth 100p. So we'll definitely have people pick them up without knowing they are a one-and-done card. At 100p, you're going to get complaints, priced at value, you won't get nearly as much.
    What about "irreversibly transforms" and "replace this in your collection" leaves folks in any doubt? And, if anyone does have any doubts, they should be checking before spending any money. That's a pretty solid life hack in general.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    What about "irreversibly transforms" and "replace this in your collection" leaves folks in any doubt? And, if anyone does have any doubts, they should be checking before spending any money. That's a pretty solid life hack in general.
    To simplify my point, acorns will not be nearly worth 100p or even 50p. I think it is hard to counter that argument. They will be forced to sell (if not buying and selling in gold, which a lot of the community is want to do) at 100p or above. It will invariably cause some form of consternation and confusion, especially with a rule set that is entirely unique in both Hex and in [most] TCGs in general. The high price will undoubtedly add to the confusion with the unique mechanic, and with a lot of new players coming on via Steam, it isn't something that should be waved off.

Yes, there is a 'buyer beware' and 'read what it says on the card', but why set ourselves up for salty new players at such an important time in the game when it can be mitigated in a variety of ways?
    Last edited by fido_one; 04-09-2016 at 07:53 AM.

The Transcended
    I'm still hoping they change Oak to a more flexible harvesting schedule, like it stores up to 7 days of acorns which you can harvest all at once. As others have said many times, dailies are horrible and forcing them on your most dedicated fans is likewise horrible.

We clearly need to pay someone to be an Oak farmer. Send all your oaks to him/her. He/She mails back your acorns every day for a fee.
    Last edited by hex_colin; 04-09-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed my inadvertent sexism... Sorry, ladies...
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

The Transcended
    We clearly need to pay someone to be an Oak farmer. Send all your oaks to him. He mails back your acorns every day for a fee.
    Clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    Would be pleasantly surprised if it fetches anything north of the equivalent of 10p in gold when the initial craze subsides (has more potential obviously if the playerbase grows significantly).
    Pretty much this. If I can get 2k gold per acorn for a few weeks I will be happy. There will probably be a few crazies who buy them at price floor when we finally get them though.

Quote Originally Posted by katkillad View Post
    Pretty much this. If I can get 2k gold per acorn for a few weeks I will be happy. There will probably be a few crazies who buy them at price floor when we finally get them though.
    Selling them? Pff, when I'm not USING them, I'll be giving them away as prizes.

The value of acorns is going to be strictly determined by how useful or necessary they are compared to the rewards possibly gained.

As it stands now, acorns should be next to worthless. All the current PVE content can be completed somewhat easily. The few times that busting a nut would prolong your dungeon or whatever progress is rare and wouldn't be worth it compared to the extra 2000 gold you'd make as opposed to having to start over. I'd peg the value of an acorn at like 5 plat atm.

If there are dungeons or really difficult end game content with Uruunaz level type of rewards, then the acorns will rise in utility and value. Worst case scenario now, you lose all your lives in a dungeon and are out ~6000 gold compared to what you could have earned in the time set aside for that dungeon. That number needs to be at least quintupled where even thinking about busting an acorn now makes sense.

We clearly need to pay someone to be an Oak farmer. Send all your oaks to him. He mails back your acorns every day for a fee.
    Honestly, I'd be up for that. Hell, pay me 1k in plat per year and I will harvest as many oaks as you want and send them every X day. Going to be doing it for myself anyway, so going to a little bit more trouble for a modest fee seems like a great idea.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png