Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules Updates For Primal Dawn regarding Copies

Devoted Emissary
    Awesome to have this explained! I agree that the old rules were confusing at first but after getting used to them it was okay, however the new rules makes more sense and it's probably better in the long run.
    IGN: Nollfem, warrior backer and former WoW TCG player. Compiling official rule articles and statements for the unofficial rulebook article over at the hex4newbies wiki!

Hooray, the Killapede (stage one) doesn't neuter one of the Cleric's best abilities anymore.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavon View Post
    Hooray, the Killapede (stage one) doesn't neuter one of the Cleric's best abilities anymore.
    I've just woken up so can't think straight, but which one do you mean?

Also, fantastic info and clarifications in the OP, great job. These rules make a lot of sense and seem very intuitive to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mejis View Post
    I've just woken up so can't think straight, but which one do you mean?

Also, fantastic info and clarifications in the OP, great job. These rules make a lot of sense and seem very intuitive to me now.
    The Divine Altar creates a copy of each cleric you play. Since they are -1/-1 because of the passive ability, the second cleric used to be -1/-1 smaller, then get the -1/-1 applied to itself as well. Now it won't double up on the penalties.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by Thoom View Post
    I feel like in terms of intuition about what a copy should be, the unique tag should be removed, because there's no obvious lore reason why an effect that can create a copy of a sentient being wouldn't work just because they were sufficiently famous.

However, I understand that game balance may not permit that. Instead, I propose a small graphical tweak to copies of unique cards, demonstrated here on Archmage Wrenlocke:

Now it's clear that the copy is actually an evil twin from a parallel dimension who murdered (edit: sorry, killed) the original upon arrival. No more confusion!
    Haha this is fantastic, i love this!

That being said, the reason why copies copy over the uniqueness tag has to do with Replicas. We wanted to make sure that the thematic space of copies and replcias were separate, and people wouldn't get confused "What's a replica?" or "What's a copy?" Making sure that each effect had it's own rules specific to it helps build up what those effect actually do.

We felt that, in the case of the Dwarves, Replicas would be better spent to be the "non-unique" version as you're producing an army of Robots of that troop in question. Therefore, it would be pretty weird to be the same thing as what you had replicated, and they could exist at the same time.

So this was done more for thematic reasons and less for pure power concerns. An awesome question and awesome piece of art adapation though! It actually made me double take.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    Is it normal that when you copy (with Scheme) a Chronic Madness (with 'bury 12 cards') it creates copies that only buries 4 cards?
    Hey Bootlace, the reason (as explained by Xenavire before me) is because Scheme is making cards with the same name. We didn't use copies just yet, and as such, we made cards with the same name, like we would when spelling out what card we were making.

It's good to point this out though, as you are not the only person who's been confused by this that if we did more of these power in the future "creating cards with the same name" effect should likely be "Create copies of that card" to avoid having so many cards/power doing a variety of different, yet similar things.

That said making copies is a more powerful effect so it would be more restrictive so maybe there is space for both or i guess making copies and reverting also works but that gets wordy fast.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

can you explain why using 1 countermagic on a card that gets copied twice only results in 1 activation instead of 2?

Activation of what, exactly? You'll need to clarify that statement.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Master Theorycrafter
    I understand the change but personally am not happy about it - I liked the benefit of indefinite modifiers it made for interesting interactions. I'm going to wish a lot of cards made replicas instead of copies now which is a bit sad but hopefully it wouldn't have mattered once we are deck building with set 4 anyway.
    Hi, my name is Malicus and my will to resist Hex is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by YourOpponent View Post
    I'll be honest and say what most of the player base is already thinking...the Primal Dawn mechanics just made using copies much less desirable and fun to use.
    I doubt you speak for most of the playerbase. I prefer rules that are intuitive. Copies now work they way I'd expect them to work.
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."